Thread: tyre advice

tyre advice

looking to replace the mickey thommo stz's on my 120 series. looking for a 50/50 road mud tyre.
    i did look at comforser cf3000 but they seem a bit mud focused. looking at sub $200?

anyone got any recommendations....
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    looking to replace the mickey thommo stz's on my 120 series. looking for a 50/50 road mud tyre.
    i did look at comforser cf3000 but they seem a bit mud focused. looking at sub $200?

anyone got any recommendations....
    What tyre size man - 265/75/R16?

I think the Federal Couragia MTs are under 200ea

265 65 17 or 265 70 17. off to google i go...

struggling to find anyone with the couragias....
    Last edited by Sloth; 02-04-19 at 01:34 PM.
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

tyresales were the best prices I found without spending 3 days ringing every tyre mob in Brisbane.

I just kept an eye on the site, and managed to get BFG KO2's on special for $285 each (down from $330 odd) for my 120

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    265 65 17 or 265 70 17. off to google i go...

struggling to find anyone with the couragias....
    Try Tyrepower, they stock/distribute them. No idea how good they are mind you, just seen them at chinese-tyre prices and being a known brand i figure they may be worth a shot. 265/70R17 on ebay ~$220ea for the MT

Put a highway terrain on, and with the fuel savings buy a spare set of wheels and muddies within 12 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

I have Couragia's on a bash car, they are sponsored, I would suggest something a bit better... I like my Toyo's AT's on my Hilux, maybe RT if you want something a bit more aggressive... mud terrains on road suck
    Quote Originally Posted by race6.3l
    Only gripes are the bluetooth and stereo are bread and butter spec, not one person has been able to hear me properly during a call, even with my head all contorted towards the roof mounted microphone like im trying to growl a chic sitting on a clothesline

Quote Originally Posted by ITS60S View Post
    I have Couragia's on a bash car, they are sponsored, I would suggest something a bit better... I like my Toyo's AT's on my Hilux, maybe RT if you want something a bit more aggressive... mud terrains on road suck
    ATs or MTs? And what dont you like about them? Genuinely curious as in the size I need they are dirt fucking cheap [like, 70 per tyre cheaper than what I can get General AT3s through work for]

AT's - they were very floaty on dirt, but maybe that's unfair as I didn't put a lot of effort into tyre pressures and it was a 1974 Volvo Wagon!
    Quote Originally Posted by race6.3l
    Only gripes are the bluetooth and stereo are bread and butter spec, not one person has been able to hear me properly during a call, even with my head all contorted towards the roof mounted microphone like im trying to growl a chic sitting on a clothesline

thanks for the help blokes. tempe suggested comforser cf1000s instead. i like crackas idea of saving and buying muddies. i have a spare set of steel 17 inch hilux rims.

If driving on road, put road tyres on. enjoy bulk savings in fuel, noise, stopping distance, acceleration, steering feel and well...everything. Then you realise the times you go 4wding you also use highways and go everywhere a normal person does as you're not in 4wdmalaysia mud bash or a trophy truck or swamping with billy and cletus. Then realise entire 4wd tyre industry is a giant wank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    If driving on road, put road tyres on. enjoy bulk savings in fuel, noise, stopping distance, acceleration, steering feel and well...everything. Then you realise the times you go 4wding you also use highways and go everywhere a normal person does as you're not in 4wdmalaysia mud bash or a trophy truck or swamping with billy and cletus. Then realise entire 4wd tyre industry is a giant wank.
    This is probably pretty close to the mark. And the reason I run highway type tyres on 2/3 of my 4wds.

tyre advice

I am not sure of the price in Aus, but over here the Yokohama geolanders at-s are very well priced compared to competitors. They are an awesome hybrid Tyre. Much quieter and lighter than KO2ís but just about as good off-road as they have really good sipping allowing the Tyre to deform over obstacles.

I have 215/80R15 on the Jimny and they go great. Would rate to anyone. Over here they are about 40% cheaper than KO2ís and drive better in a lot of situations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by vet 180; 09-04-19 at 06:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

so to update, i ended up going with goodride sl369 a/t's in 265 70 17. first impressions are good, they grip well and have less noise than the last tyres. the car feels more stable too oddly and the steering is a lot easier. most reviews indicate more road noise but good wear rates. the noise is normal for a 4x4 imho. i plan to buy some mud tyres and put them on my spare 17 inch steelies later.

Quote Originally Posted by vet 180 View Post
    I am not sure of the price in Aus, but over here the Yokohama geolanders at-s are very well priced compared to competitors. They are an awesome hybrid Tyre. Much quieter and lighter than KO2ís but just about as good off-road as they have really good sipping allowing the Tyre to deform over obstacles.

I have 215/80R15 on the Jimny and they go great. Would rate to anyone. Over here they are about 40% cheaper than KO2ís and drive better in a lot of situations

I'm running the G015 on the Challenger. Do rate them. They even worked well on slushy snow/mud/rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    I'm running the G015 on the Challenger. Do rate them. They even worked well on slushy snow/mud/rocks.
    Yeah the GO15ís are really good also. Pretty similar Tyre performance wise. Really good in sand

Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours