Thread: New daily - MK6 Golf R

New daily - MK6 Golf R

Gents/Ladies,

Recently sold my s5 RX7 and bought this as a combined everyday car/replacement fun car. Has 80,xxx kms, full books service history and a Stage 1 APR tune.
    Standard interior, no leather or sunroof.
    Definitely fills the void the RX7 left. Future plans will probably incorporate a TVS DSG tune at some point and plans are to take it to do some hillclimbs and maybe a run down the quarter mile.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6826.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	111140

Interested bystander
    Looks nice !!!

Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    Looks nice !!!
    Thinking the same! Probably a little more versatile than the FC too!

I've got one of these with most of the boxes ticked (sans Recaros and sunroof).

Get a DSG tune. When you're punting around in D, it's way too quick to climb up the gears then a bit too reluctant to drop down one when you give it a bit of welly. I find it's regularly a gear higher than I want.

Aside from that, nice thing to drive. Eats up the miles on the highway.

Eurotrash :D
    Good tyres make heaps of difference. As does a downpipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

I sold mine last year, was a great car and overall rally reliable. Mine had every option except the recaro's. It also had a stage 1 tune. I think stage 2 with a downpipe would have been a lot of fun to drive.

I had Bridgestone RE003's (19 inch) on it and they were fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by tipper View Post
    I had Bridgestone RE003's (19 inch) on it and they were fantastic.
    I too have these on the 19s. Had some Michelin things on it when I bought it and they were horrible.

Cheers for comments, I'm a bit skeptical of the "off the shelf" tunes...all the cars that I've ever owned that have been tuned have always seen a dyno for tuning.

Managed to find a guy local to me with a dyno and he does custom engine and dsg tunes purely for euro cars, has given me a nice quote to do both (under $1K), with reliability being the main goal, I believe he uses RD Technik. Suspects it should pull between 190-200awkw.

Yep has 18" RE003's on it, haven't had a chance to fang it through some twisties yet.
    Hmm any leads on where to get a downpipe? Not interested in doing the full exhaust.

PS did use launch control - awesome

Cheers

Update
    Ended up getting the APR tune removed and an Etuners ECU/DSG tune as well as a down pipe fitted. Car has brutal acceleration and launch control now
    DSG tune has greatly improved the car from feeling lethargic/asthmatic off boost. Day and night difference.

Serviced the car a few weeks back and replaced the fuel pump cam follower, they have a tendency to wear through and destroy the exhaust cam lobe it runs on. This had 80,000kms on it, good thing I checked it.

Name:	IMG_7037.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	111940

Bought Bowdens Snow Cannon, good fun really

Name:	InkedIMG_7023_LI.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	7.36 MB 
ID:	111941

Looking forward to doing some hill climbs and the odd drag strip run

Cheers

Nice one... looking forward to continuing updates!

Get a lightweight crankshaft pulley too! Should help that brutal acceleration feeling, hey?

This is similarly spec'd to my old mk6 r. Is yours a 2010?

Nah mines a late 2012 model. I think the only difference was factory bluetooth?
    Entered to take it drag racing on the 23rd June, will be interesting to see what it can run
    Cheers

Took this thing to A.I.R. yesterday, my first time ever drag racing, with the only prep being dropping the tire pressures to 28psi (which ended up being 18psi when when I "adjusted" them and only found out later that I had a faulty gauge)

Only managed 3 runs, worst being a 14.2, launch control wouldn't engage properly on my slower runs and only managed to get it right on my last run @ 13.06 against a 32GTR.

Car has a downpipe, etuners tune and dsg tune, not sure how I can get 60 foot time quicker (bar being a better driver)? I'm guessing to bring that MPH up I would also need more horsies.

Was running just over half a tank of fuel, could probably run less next time as it used bugger all.
    Had a great time, was busy as, would've liked more runs but oh well. Pretty happy, with it being my everyday car also.
    Hoping for a 12 next time I'm out.

Name:	IMG_7228.PNG 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	112402
    Last edited by rxfc3s; 24-06-19 at 11:16 PM.