Thread: 4 point harness in Road registered Street cars for track days/Sprint events

4 point harness in Road registered Street cars for track days/Sprint events

Thought this new product would be worthy of it's own thread.

Custom Specific per brand/model: Perfect for BMW, VW/Audi, Ford, Jeep, Mini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hbYwHUOipg

https://www.schrothracing.com/products/quickfit#3317
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quickfit_asm_b.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	280.2 KB 
ID:	111211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	focus-interior_17.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	698.2 KB 
ID:	111212  
    Last edited by nelsonian101; 11-04-19 at 01:03 PM.
    BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

That's a pretty clever setup, I have done something similar in my car using eye bolts in the seatbelt buckle threads. Only downside is the downward angle which can catch the eye of some scrutineers, in the CAMS manual it's supposed to be less than 45 degrees from the horizontal and I have had some people comment on that, but they have still allowed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    That's a pretty clever setup, I have done something similar in my car using eye bolts in the seatbelt buckle threads. Only downside is the downward angle which can catch the eye of some scrutineers, in the CAMS manual it's supposed to be less than 45 degrees from the horizontal and I have had some people comment on that, but they have still allowed it.
    I've done the same in my skyline, 1 scrute wouldn't allow it and made me use my road belt instead. The angle is less than ideal. The cams regs allow up to 45° but recommend between 10-20° as the best angle to eliminate/reduce compression of the spine in an accident. Hence, im looking at adding a proper harness bar. May as well do it properly.

Would they even be legal here though? No FIA approval I can see, although they are ECE and FMVSS approved for street use, do the ADRs accept ECE/FMVSS standards?

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Would they even be legal here though? No FIA approval I can see, although they are ECE and FMVSS approved for street use, do the ADRs accept ECE/FMVSS standards?
    That was my next question.
    I was hoping to use in Clubsprint at AUS Time Attack. (Not as strict as WTA)
    Will they pass scrutineering though?

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

They're designed for specific vehicle models. So unless you've got one fitted to the specific vehicle it's approved for then no, it shouldn't pass scrutineering, and that's actually assuming it would fit.

yeah, that would be great Matty's Avatar
    Why not use the baby seat tether?
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ O’Rourke
    Name me, if you can, a better feeling than the one you get when you're half a bottle of Chivas in the bag with a gram of coke up your nose and a teenage lovely pulling off her tube top in the next seat over while you're going a hundred miles an hour down a suburban side street.

Yeah, nah. Do it properly. That's just a half baked effort. Nothing against Schroth. Got a custom harness from them designed to fit my standard car and car seat (which fortunately has harness bar and seat harness holes) and still leave my normal lap sash belt fitted for driving away from the track. Best of both worlds. Not cheap, but worth it
    Oh, and no to 4 point harness. 5 or 6 point is what you need. I didn't like cutting a hole in my perfectly good seat to fit the crotch straps, but it's the only way I find you can keep the buckle down where it belongs, and not ride up when you cinch up shoulder straps.

Quote Originally Posted by 200MPH View Post
    Yeah, nah. Do it properly. That's just a half baked effort. Nothing against Schroth. Got a custom harness from them designed to fit my standard car and car seat (which fortunately has harness bar and seat harness holes) and still leave my normal lap sash belt fitted for driving away from the track. Best of both worlds. Not cheap, but worth it
    Oh, and no to 4 point harness. 5 or 6 point is what you need. I didn't like cutting a hole in my perfectly good seat to fit the crotch straps, but it's the only way I find you can keep the buckle down where it belongs, and not ride up when you cinch up shoulder straps.
    All of this.

I have a 4 pt in the mx5 and every time I go to the track I remember why I always had 6 pt harnesses in everything else..

Maybe today I'll buy myself a new 6pt...

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonian101 View Post
    That was my next question.
    I was hoping to use in Clubsprint at AUS Time Attack. (Not as strict as WTA)
    Will they pass scrutineering though?
    ATA Clubsprint supp regs from 2018 requires "a minimum of a four (4) point Safety Harness in compliance with SFI16.1;".

I can't see any details on their website to say it meets any SFI or FIA standards. I'd assume they would advertise / document this if they did meet standards, so can only guess they don't. In which case, nope, they won't pass scrutineering. Maybe a quick email to Scroth would confirm / deny exactly what standards they are certified to.

Also, Scroth list it in the "tuner" section of their website rather than in the "competition" section with all the real harnesses......
    Last edited by dave1600; 12-04-19 at 09:03 AM.

That angle looks like it's begging for spinal compression.

Do it properly. You don't need them until you 'need' them. And you'd wanna make sure they are mounted properly at that point.

This^
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe - Atlas SS

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Someone will come out with isofix harness next... As already suggested, that looks really bad for your back.

Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    Someone will come out with isofix harness next... As already suggested, that looks really bad for your back.
    Well as long as you use the baby seat top tether as well, as Matty has suggested, 10 kg of toddler in a traffic light bingle vs. 100 kg of fat cunt on a race track.. what could go wrong!

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake

Quote Originally Posted by rowdytoot View Post
    Well as long as you use the baby seat top tether as well, as Matty has suggested, 10 kg of toddler in a traffic light bingle vs. 100 kg of fat cunt on a race track.. what could go wrong!
    You could weld a frame between the iso fix mounts and the top tether... That keeps the belt up high so it doesn't shrink your spine suddenly... lol

Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    You could weld a frame between the iso fix mounts and the top tether... That keeps the belt up high so it doesn't shrink your spine suddenly... lol
    Lmao.. Make it out of CDW and I'm sure CAMS would include it in Schedule J....

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dave1600 View Post
    ATA Clubsprint supp regs from 2018 requires "a minimum of a four (4) point Safety Harness in compliance with SFI16.1;".

I can't see any details on their website to say it meets any SFI or FIA standards. I'd assume they would advertise / document this if they did meet standards, so can only guess they don't. In which case, nope, they won't pass scrutineering. Maybe a quick email to Scroth would confirm / deny exactly what standards they are certified to.

Also, Scroth list it in the "tuner" section of their website rather than in the "competition" section with all the real harnesses......
    Scroth has come up with some weird shit for "tuners". I rememeber they had a retractable 3 point harness for Mk2 Golfs at one point. The retractor mounted to the upper rear seatbelt mount. No mention of legality anywhere.

Yeah most of them do. Having seen the cheapest Simpson's for off-road and buggies at 250 bucks, and recently having purchased some of their proper FIA HANS / camlocks worth $1200 a pop, the difference is astonishingly night and day. The former look like they are made in a sweat shop in China, and the latter like they've come from NASA.

Decided in the end to use my existing race seat with OMP harness and bolt to one of these instead.

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac...on42onQlUNvlAE
    Last edited by nelsonian101; 14-06-19 at 09:33 AM.

….and bought a new 6 point.

More research I did, more it became obvious.