Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EP3 Civic Type R vtec yo

i can't remember the peak power figure it was about 10kw over stock I/H/E, my understanding was that if you did the headers you would pair it with the ecu and tuning. There would have been fuck all pick up on headers without tune.

i had buddy club system, was loud as fuck, ended up with a fujitsubo was much better.

Felt much smoother after tuning as well, not that it wasn't to start off.
    Last edited by im_boostn; 17-04-19 at 04:12 PM.

Ok yeah thatís what I would have thought. 10kw is substantial in pissy little N/A so if one comes up Iíll grab it. Finding someone in SA to tune it on the other hand...

Dude I rate these. Nice. Two of my mates are Honda diehards, and have to admit the vtec wail 1/2/3 speed run is pretty addictive.

Make sure you keep the stock exhaust to sell the car later down the track. Most kids would swap a stock system for a full header to muffler for a few hundred or straight swap the axel back system. I would go SSR type C or p1 but they're drug money now. Maybe a set of Evo 9 bbs if they're the same pattern can't remember the PCd. Regamasters are retarded money.

Quote Originally Posted by BLO 767 View Post
    Dude I rate these. Nice. Two of my mates are Honda diehards, and have to admit the vtec wail 1/2/3 speed run is pretty addictive.
    Old man used to have an S2000 and vtec was awesome, despite all the piss takes! Mate who picked the car up for me owns a GT3 and said he was impressed with it for what it is. I wouldnít know as I havenít seen the fuckn thing yet...trucking co. refused to take it as itís too low so going to get it in to a suspension joint in Sydney to have the coilovers wound up.

Quote Originally Posted by im_boostn View Post
    Make sure you keep the stock exhaust to sell the car later down the track. Most kids would swap a stock system for a full header to muffler for a few hundred or straight swap the axel back system. I would go SSR type C or p1 but they're drug money now. Maybe a set of Evo 9 bbs if they're the same pattern can't remember the PCd. Regamasters are retarded money.
    I donít compute...keep stock system to sell the aftermarket bits after is what youíre getting at? It has a Mugen twin loop cat back on it which Iíll prob rip off and sell, but I hear itís fairly quiet which could suit my needs nicely. The Evo wheels do fit and fit quite nicely!

So after the trucking company refused to take my car as it was too low, and me organizing to have the coilovers lifted and front bar removed, they finally collected the car before parking it at their depot for 3 weeks. 5 weeks later, I finally have the car in my possession.

Initial thoughts on the condition were good. Interior very clean as described by seller, exterior has a few minor areas that need tidying but the body is nice and straight and will clean up well. Fark the wheels are horrible, donít fit correctly, tyres over stretched and generally tasteless. Someone has clearly gone with all show without a care in the world for how they might function.

First task was to fit the front bumper back on. 15 minute job with only 4 bolts. Could not believe how simple it was. The Mugen lip is hopefully going, Iíve arranged a trade for an OEM with some p-plater in Melbourne.

Having a closer look at this car, all the bushes and engine mounts look solid and in good condition so I suspect the 88K is half believable as they tend to wear on these cars. As mentioned, the interior is very clean, except the steering wheel had 3mm of crud caked on all around it. Iím telling myself it was hair wax but a couple of dry heaves were had while cleaning it all off. Also gave the car a quick bath as it was filthy from transport.

^^ these two are quite an odd pair.

In prep for getting rego in SA I picked up some OEM wheels from someone wrecking one which were in fairly poor condition. I had them powder coated and they came up well.

BEFORE

AFTER

Only thing left to do with the wheels is respray the centre caps and fit new Honda logos.

Then it was off to local tyre boys to have an alignment carried out and some AD08R fitted. Of course the previous owner had slammed the coilovers as low as they would go. I have subsequently wound them up as high as they will go which is still not very high. This enables better geometry so I donít have to stuff around with roll center adjustment. We got the alignment fairly close but Iíve ordered some rear camber arms so that I can dial the rear in. Front is covered with the camber tops.

I much prefer the look with the factory wheels, looks like a type r now.

This was my first time driving the car on the way to rego inspection now (where I now wait). The alignment has certainly helped, but the steering feels quite vague just off center which is supposedly a symptom of these cars with their lack of caster and electronic power steering. Not the greatest feeling when powering out of a corner! Iím told a simple caster bushing kit from SuperPro fixes this so
    Iíll probably do that when I do the rear camber arms. Otherwise the car is great, close ratio box is awesome and the vtec engagement is a lot of fun. Itís underpowered by modern standards but itís really not what the car is about and I donít see myself getting bored of it any time soon. It feels very simple, engaging and focused which is basically what I was after.

Other changes for now will be fitting an OEM front grill which is on its way from Japan and some pre face lift tail lights which arenít altezza style.

Cheap, engaging, reliable and practical daily is a win!

Quote Originally Posted by spiller View Post
    This was my first time driving the car on the way to rego inspection now (where I now wait). The alignment has certainly helped, but the steering feels quite vague just off center which is supposedly a symptom of these cars with their lack of caster and electronic power steering. Not the greatest feeling when powering out of a corner! Iím told a simple caster bushing kit from SuperPro fixes this so
    Iíll probably do that when I do the rear camber arms.
    Mike Kojima/MotoIQ did a good write up on the EP3 chassis and the mods they did to improve the handling mate, interesting read https://motoiq.com/category/projects.../civic-si-ep3/

^^^ many thanks

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Which transport company had it parked in there yard for 3 weeks?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Sounds like the transport company name may start with PR? If so I have had a similar experience

It was SMB. In their defence they didnít charge me for going out to get the car and being unable to load it the first time for it being too low. Still, 10 business day quoted transit is long enough, yet they had it there for 15. Wonít be using again.

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Oh ok....yeah well ill leave that alone.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Looking great with the factory wheels.

I donít usually resort to asking for subjective opinions the Internet, but Iíve been tossing up between keeping the Mugen front or swapping it for OEM. The Mugen parts consist of the lower lip and different grill. My first instinct was to get rid of it as it looks a tad over the top for my tastes and somewhat dates the car, but now Iím not sure. I do tend to gravitate towards OEM styling.

Possible combinations are:

Mugen lip and grill together (what I currently have):

OEM grill and lip:

Mugen lip with OEM grill:

OEM lip with Mugen grill:

For mine Mugen lip and OEM grill. The white Mugen grill is too much white.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Full OEM for me. Just looks cleaner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by xbgs351 View Post
    I'd hate to think of the mess that the barber would make of my top knot."
    Live it Like You Love It

full Oem for me

Quote Originally Posted by pxl265 View Post
    for mine mugen lip and oem grill.
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    x2
    This

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Yeah, I agree on the too much white. Makes it look a bit like a Corolla. I purchased a used OEM grill from Japan and went to fit it this afternoon to see how it would look. Unfortunately the Mugen grill has been loaded up with very thick double sided tape. The front bumper and lip could do with a respray anyway so Iíll save that job for the paint shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Didn't someone on here have one of these that had an interior fire?
    Yep, me. Ended up selling it to a kid who used the driveline for k-swapping his EK4 and parted out the rest. Still annoyed I never got to do anything with it, but hopefully I'll get a few passenger laps in his car at Mallala in a week and finally see what the K20A is like in a lighter chassis.

I reckon fully stock is probably the best looking combination, the Mugen grille feels like when you see people colour code the mirrors, door handles and rub strips on 80's/90's cars, theres a lot to be said for having a bit of black to break things up a bit. Early tail lights is a good move too
    WWPBD

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneAsylum View Post
    first time i was in sydney, i asked the cabbie to tell a bit about the place. he said "this here oxford st, you see 2 man, they are poofter"
    Fuckwits Incorporated

Quote Originally Posted by CXTdreamer View Post
    Yep, me. Ended up selling it to a kid who used the driveline for k-swapping his EK4 and parted out the rest. Still annoyed I never got to do anything with it, but hopefully I'll get a few passenger laps in his car at Mallala in a week and finally see what the K20A is like in a lighter chassis.

I reckon fully stock is probably the best looking combination, the Mugen grille feels like when you see people colour code the mirrors, door handles and rub strips on 80's/90's cars, theres a lot to be said for having a bit of black to break things up a bit. Early tail lights is a good move too
    Did the wreck go interstate? I saw one pop up on Ozhonda a couple of weeks ago that had everything from the dash forward melted by fire. Same car? What caused the interior fire? I am keen to get this out on track to see what itís like but that would probably require a baffled sump. Iím not keen on doing that just for one or two track days as this is not supposed to be the race car.

Nah someone broke the rear side window the first night my brother parked it on the street after getting a work car and put some lit firelighters on the back seat. I reckon it was someone that lived nearby because it was stuuuuupidly loud and he drives like a tool. It was just a small fire before the firies came and put it out, only real direct burn was on the rear seat and it melted a bit of the fabric at the headrest height on the Recaros, but it created enough heat and smoke that it stuffed all the interior plastics, cracked the windscreen (probably heat and then water from the fire being extinguished) and smoke damaged the rest of the glass, and scorched a one square foot area of the roof. It was fixable but finding all the interior parts and glass without just buying another entire car with front end damage of some sort was too much of a headfuck. Sold it to a local kid
    WWPBD

first time i was in sydney, i asked the cabbie to tell a bit about the place. he said "this here oxford st, you see 2 man, they are poofter"
    Fuckwits Incorporated

Iím surprised to read they need sump baffles for track work? Really would have expected theyíd be pretty well sorted in that department given the target market, at least on non R spec rubber?

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Iím surprised to read they need sump baffles for track work? Really would have expected theyíd be pretty well sorted in that department given the target market, at least on non R spec rubber?
    Iím not sure, probably depends on the track. Iím running AD08R but the main concern is The Bend has three consecutive high speed right handers which have been known to kill engines. Guess I could take it out to Mallala but a track like that would be pretty boring in this I think.

A friend has a K24 swapped civic of some sort. It has no sump baffles apart from whatever is standard. Its on A050s running 1m17s at Mallala and has zero oil pressure issues. You'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rotor7 View Post
    A friend has a K24 swapped civic of some sort. It has no sump baffles apart from whatever is standard. Its on A050s running 1m17s at Mallala and has zero oil pressure issues. You'll be fine.

Is that the EP3 with the K20/K24 Frankenstein engine? If so, it got the K24 block because it's previous owner Ben seized the K20 due to oil starvation at Mallala, and he was pretty fastidious about the car so I doubt he went out there with anything but a healthy amount of oil in the engine

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

No its a green one all built by my mate. Has had a stock k24, now has a 20/24 thing he built. Zero issues with either engine both at lala and the bend

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    My DC2R runs a baffled Mugen sump - it was a must have after hearing a few stories of oil starvation. I'm surprised they didn't do something about it with the EP3R at least.