Thread: Inline battery backup setup for head unit?

Inline battery backup setup for head unit?

Currently I drive the MX5 rarely enough that i end up sometimes flattening the battery between drives. Usually though it just drops the battery voltage on cranking and needs to be jump started. However, this drop of battery voltage is enough to clear the settings on the head unit, and resetting it all is a pain as it requires repairing with bluetooth etc.

Has anyone come across a simple setup that would keep the headunit from resetting if the battery fully drains? Thinking perhaps like a small inline battery or something.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Opens
    lol fuck dude, find something else to worry about.

Trickle charger

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    lol fuck dude, find something else to worry about.
    Lol, its pretty minor. But damned if the Kenwood in the car isnt the worst to re-setup every time. Mainly hoping that there is something off the shelf i can wire in to the power feed. I would think that various camper and other requirements might be good for it, but evidently not. Plus google just turns up pages of "audiophile" stuff on using eleventy billion stage UPSs for their spike mounted hand wound transformer amplifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWallGT500 View Post
    Trickle charger

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk
    Yeah, its normally on trickle charger... until i unplug it to do something else and forget. But the Ctek basically lives in the boot.
    Last edited by takai; 15-04-19 at 02:18 PM.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Something similar exists... I can recall maybe 15 years ago now, a Battery World bloke clipping a small device to the battery leads during a battery swapover in a car, so the radio/clock/etc didn't require resetting. I don't know how much capacity it'd have as it was pretty small, but then again the power requirement would also be small. Might be worth a phone call to them, anyway?

The clip on things during a battery change over might be OK, but the general problem there is that it will discharge into the main battery particularly as it goes flat.

Some sort of small 12V SLA battery with a diode in line in the memory/always on supply line to stop it feeding back to the main battery might do what you want. Battery then charges off the car when running too. Diode needs to be rated high enough to power the head unit as the always on line is usually where they draw their power.

I think it could definitely could be as simple as a 12V rechargeable battery and a single diode.

Wouldn't it just be better to not run the main battery flat though like with your Ctek? Plus you don't kill your battery as easily?

Quote Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
    Wouldn't it just be better to not run the main battery flat though like with your Ctek? Plus you don't kill your battery as easily?
    Lol, it would be better... if i could remember it more often.

Apparently marine stereos have a battery backup system in them, so perhaps that is an option.

I dont understand why they dont just chuck a CR2032 or something button cell into the unit for the basic memory that these units have. Cant see it taking much more power draw than a bios battery.
    Last edited by takai; 15-04-19 at 04:40 PM.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Just stop the battery discharging so you don't fuck something of value.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYA View Post
    Just stop the battery discharging so you don't fuck something of value.
    The only thing i can figure out discharging the battery is the car alarm, which i kind of dont want to disable...
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

What about something like THIS?

I know my Auto Electrician Cousin uses something similar when working on Customers Cars, so they don't lose Radio Presets..
    1969 Datsun 1000 Sedan
    1989 1.6l Daihatsu Charade

Life For me Has it's UP'S and DOWN'S........ I fix ELEVATORS

They are good for when the main battery is disconnected. When the main battery remains connected but runs down below the voltage of the backup battery, it will run the backup battery flat quickly.

Also those things frequently don't work on modern cars as they're a bit more complicated than relays and switches.
    Last edited by Shonky; 16-04-19 at 07:22 AM.