Thread: Stick welding.... Sticks. Low hydrogen etc

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar

Stick welding.... Sticks. Low hydrogen etc

So in my quest to become a less shit arc welder I need to buy some new rods as the box of Michigan 6013s (which were cheap and OK) ran out.

I was planning to get some 3.2mm 7018s because the Americans won't shut up about how great they are but I'm not super keen on getting them from eBay and I need them soon and I haven't found them in any shops for non silly money.

7016s seem to be available for reasonabler money, but hesitant to buy them (bossweld brand) from Bunnings, total tools have some that seem priced OK. what's a good common cheap 7016 rod?

I've just got a cheap inverter welder.

for a easy to use 7016 rod for home use would be the mighty 16TC made by WIA.

Quote Originally Posted by L67HX View Post
    for a easy to use 7016 rod for home use would be the mighty 16TC made by WIA.
    cheers, I think total tools sell these.

Edit: they only had ESAB 7016s, the hunt continues.
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 20-04-19 at 08:38 PM.

BOC sell the WIA 16TC low hydrogen rods.

The 16TC were good for vertical ups etc, but i preferred the general purpose BOC Smootharc electrodes for everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by RSWEPN View Post
    BOC sell the WIA 16TC low hydrogen rods.

The 16TC were good for vertical ups etc, but i preferred the general purpose BOC Smootharc electrodes for everything else.
    cheers, the nearest BOC is slightly closer than the stockist listed on "welding.com.au" - last time I was there they had test bays, might try a few rods there.

smootharc 13s? (hey BOC, why don't you call everything smootharc?) they are pretty expensive, I can get 5kg of the aforementioned michigan rods for less than 1kg of BOCs.

actually they sell the Austarc WIA 16tcs for 10 bucks a box more than the other joint, still might go use their bays though.
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 26-04-19 at 12:06 AM.

I use esab rods every day at work, personally I think they are one of the best low hydrogen rods to get.

Got a 1.6kg box of 3.2mm ESAB 7016 rods at total tools for 16 bucks as the vac pack had a hole in it (I'm certainly not going to keep them in an oven) normal price 19 bucks, cheap enough. Will give them a go some day. Will get some eBay 7018s too eventually.