Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barra the world ... how popular is it? Does it deserve the rep?

Barra the world ... how popular is it? Does it deserve the rep?

Rather than dirty up another thread..

The Barra turbo, how iconic is it?

I mean to me personally, I see one slightly tickled in a transplanted engine bay & automatically think 'stout' as I know the power they put down with relative ease, particularly in a lighter older car. But how popular are they outside our shores? Are we sitting on the next JZ/RB in terms of ICE history?

Or is it a case of it's a stout engine, but we as Aussies fawn over it because it IS aussie, cheap & available, bogan af & we love our local big donks that can rip a fucking good skid.

I think it is a local wonder & with it (& other options) we are living in some of the best times for modifying cars, refinement & output wise.

Discuss??

Ninja edited uz to jz but you all know what I was talking about.
    Last edited by Synthian; 18-04-19 at 10:55 PM.

Not popular at all outside of Australia and contrary to what the internet reckons, they are not as popular here for conversions either.
    They are long, tall and really heavy;
    As such, they tick all the wrong boxes unless you like lots of hard work and having to cut half your bonnet out.

America is awash with cheap as fuck V8's, why bother with a weird engine with no parts from Australia when you can go pull a 5.3 from the junkyard for $350, re-gap the rings, fir a turbo and make 600hp with that.
    Last edited by dnegative; 18-04-19 at 09:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    knuckle drag the world mate

they are for cheap nasty convos or drift cars.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Good for old cars that have fuck loads of under bonnet room or 4WD's. I looked at one in a R32 and it looked like 1000hrs of work in it.
    Anything else and your deep down the rabbit hole making sumps, crossmembers, cutting bonnets, bashing firewalls, wondering where you fit the fucking radiator and intercooler etc
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Eurotrash :D
    its like you got a 1jz single turbo and then scaled it up 1.5x without actually gaining anything. only reason its popular is that its stuffed in xr6 turbos, the vl turbo of the 2000s. and for every half decent one theres 111111111111111111ty of them with a 4 inch pipe, cone filter and a shit tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Without a doubt an iconic Australian engine and destined to be legendary.

I think they are a good thing for what they are and I have never even owned one.

Yanks seem interested in what we are doing with them because its different.

Edit: The only thing im not sure on is the sound Barras make. I much prefer the noise of a JZ or RB on the limit.
    Last edited by LB-XP; 18-04-19 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    its like you got a 1jz single turbo and then scaled it up 1.5x without actually gaining anything. only reason its popular is that its stuffed in xr6 turbos, the vl turbo of the 2000s. and for every half decent one theres 111111111111111111ty of them with a 4 inch pipe, cone filter and a shit tune.
    except a 1.6 increase in capacity. Which means itís much more drivable with, say, a 1000hp turbo. Yeah, they are a pig to fit in anything smaller than, say, a commodore

I guess I do see them in a few large retrotech engine bays which goes with the lighter platforms generally too.

I hadn't really thought about the uleh / bogan aspect too much, though there must be a lot of stockers with the wick turned up a little & go on to become courtyard bogan legends that everyone know a friend or workmate has in the shed.

Thinking back it kind of mirrors the VLT days when I was younger (but more prolific I reckon now)..

Fuck I'm getting old.
    Last edited by Synthian; 18-04-19 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    Not popular at all outside of Australia and contrary to what the internet reckons, they are not as popular here for conversions either.
    They are long, tall and really heavy;
    As such, they tick all the wrong boxes unless you like lots of hard work and having to cut half your bonnet out.

America is awash with cheap as fuck V8's, why bother with a weird engine with no parts from Australia when you can go pull a 5.3 from the junkyard for $350, re-gap the rings, fir a turbo and make 600hp with that.
    You dont get out much, do you?

Go chrck lut the barra conversion pages on facey. They are getting stuffed into early falcons, holdens, valiants, yank tanks, english shitboxes, german stuff, jap stuff 4wds, rods etc. Fucking anything and everything in australia/nz basically that's getting a conversion that isnt LS based.

If you have a decent engine bay, they make heaps of sense here.. Not so much the US obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

I think they are a good thing, The early ones are much like the RB in terms of upgrades needed for power but the FG ones seem to have their shit sorted on JZ level, I've only had a 400rwhp BA xr6t and a stock FG xr6t ute but they drive good, plenty low down power, and plenty mods out there for them, there is now 2 street driven xr6t falcons into the 7's (that I'm aware of anyway), definitely the next "VL Cult car" but the motors are in bloody everything, and for good reason, I'm keen to give one ago in something.

Apparently people even put them in shit like Bedford vans and Commodore utes?
    Last edited by 350stato; 19-04-19 at 06:25 AM.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    You dont get out much, do you?

Go chrck lut the barra conversion pages on facey. They are getting stuffed into early falcons, holdens, valiants, yank tanks, english shitboxes, german stuff, jap stuff 4wds, rods etc. Fucking anything and everything in australia/nz basically that's getting a conversion that isnt LS based.

If you have a decent engine bay, they make heaps of sense here.. Not so much the US obviously.
    That last paragraph of dnegativeís was talking about the worldwide perspective that Synthian brought up, specifically the US.

And heís right, nothingís popular in the US thatís not available locally & cheap there. They even invent mythology around stuff just because itís available locally, eg. they actually believe KA24 > SR20.
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 19-04-19 at 08:16 AM.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

I've destroyed a few and have one making bulk power. Theybare cheap, parts are easy to get, easy to work on. But they arent as bullet proof as people say in stock form, one little mistake and boom. Ba motors are poo for anything above 300rwkw and just a dice roll if they hold together. Fg have core shift problems in blocks , timing chains regularly skip teeth, oil pumps are crap. On e85, with head studs and oil pump gears, a na or turbo fg will make 500rwkw zero problemo

Would i do it again? Maybe not. Ls turbo and dump down passenger side or twins

Definitely heavy and big, but will fit in most rwd platforms. Only issue in aus is fitting a large dump pipe down past steering rack.
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Not sure if posted but may be of interest to some.

I'm seeing a lot of them in the local car scene now.
    Even starting to become a popular conversion in early Commodores. Personally not fussed on Ford engines in Holdens, but the kits are around now to make it a fairly easy conversion so lots of them around now.

I'm a Holden V8 guy, but have to admit these engines are making big power for not a lot of outlay. I've seen some interest from the US, because the bottom end is still based on the old 250 which should make it a fairly straight conversion into some of the old US Fords.

But irrelevant of how much power they make, they still haven't escaped that awful Ford 6 cylinder drone.

Quote Originally Posted by VHSS View Post
    But irrelevant of how much power they make, they still haven't escaped that awful Ford 6 cylinder drone.
    Is there a science to what actually contributes to a drone or something that sounds fantastic? I'm woefully uninformed on this.

how does the barra compare physically to a 1FZ?

Interesting thread.

So basically is the Barra inherently great or is it just a big capacity, cheap, readily available engine that just happens to have been built for boost?

Wonder if there was such a thing as a 1UZ-FTE in every second Camry weíd even bother.

They are impressively quick though. Iíve just managed to hold off a flogged our FG XR6-T full of bogans in my M140i, for a car that had led that hard a life it was amazingly quick.

4 litres and 4 valves per cylinder, strong as an ox, simple and common. Turbocharged from the factory. That's all really, but that's enough.

What's the larger turbo factory engine?.....Rolls Royce 6.75 litre, BMW 6 litre V12, Ah! AMG 4 litre V8.
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post

So basically is the Barra inherently great or is it just a big capacity, cheap, readily available engine that just happens to have been built for boost?
    I think the fact that they are a big capacity, readily available engine that is built for boost is what makes them great in some peoples eyes.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    When taken to the extreme they sound pretty pretty stout imho like this one.
    Full weight and 7.9 should tell you they are trash.....
    I personally like them as an ex XR6T owner. Id happily have a minty fresh FG G6ET in the driveway with an easy 400rwkw. Not sure whats not to like.

It Places the lotion in the basket!

Cranky 6 went 7.8 at 175mph a couple of nights ago, put air in the tyres, refitted the rear section of the exhaust and went and got Hungry Jacks

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Crazy. Clearly very overrated.
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Shoot me down for posting one of my own videos (#howsgetfuckedsound)

Just shot this with Jason. More to come as it progresses

There isn't a great deal of difference dimensionally between the 2j and barra motor. I think overall packaging of accessories on the 2j is a lot tighter in comparison so overall less volume in an engine bay compared to the barra.

Approx dimensions

Length
    2j - 79cms
    barra - 82.5cms
    Height
    2j - 63cms
    barra - 69cms
    Width
    2j - 72cms
    barra - 77cms

The tb48 is a lot bigger though...

Last edited by [RX3]; 21-04-19 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    Cranky 6 went 7.8 at 175mph a couple of nights ago, put air in the tyres, refitted the rear section of the exhaust and went and got Hungry Jacks
    It's interesting how ripss ran 7.9@186mph , I'm curious who's car has what in it as a "street car". As cranky6 seems to a bit lighter and down on hp to run to ET faster

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Yeah Dylan's car (cranky6) is not really as it seems, as they drove that to Maccas or where ever after the run I'd bet my balls there was a car trailer not far behind them, and i'm pretty sure it cleverly stripped out but looks intact, but maybe I'm just biased cause the man is a dick lol

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Quote Originally Posted by [RX3] View Post
    There isn't a great deal of difference dimensionally between the 2j and barra motor. I think overall packaging of accessories on the 2j is a lot tighter in comparison so overall less volume in an engine bay compared to the barra.

Approx dimensions

Length
    2j - 79cms
    barra - 82.5cms
    Height
    2j - 63cms
    barra - 69cms
    Width
    2j - 72cms
    barra - 77cms

The tb48 is a lot bigger though...

Thanks
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Quote Originally Posted by 350stato View Post
    Yeah Dylan's car (cranky6) is not really as it seems, as they drove that to Maccas or where ever after the run I'd bet my balls there was a car trailer not far behind them, and i'm pretty sure it cleverly stripped out but looks intact, but maybe I'm just biased cause the man is a dick lol
    Sounds similar to the Real Street Supra but a second slower

Who cares if it's not some technical marvel from an engineering point of view. It's a high capacity engine that makes good power and torque when you stuff air through it. Easy to buy, cheap, plenty of aftermarket support. Australian designed.
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....