Thread: cherry picker

cherry picker

Made up a cherry picker for my tractor with bits and pieces of shit I had laying around.

Really wanted this for fruit picking at my place4e, as well as getting up with a polesaw to some places, that type of thing.

It fits over the bucket, and is held down with a set of semi trailer style ratchet straps. They hang off bits of angle welded to the square steel and there is a plate that bolts down on top of them. Works nice, Might put some hangers on it. I just make functional shit, never real pretty.

Isn't standing on a bucket generally frowned upon as they rely on hydraulics remaining pressurised to not fall?

It does look a lot like things I do... Functional

yeah I'm sure it's frowned on. I'm still gonna do it, I keep the tractor is running when i do it. I guess I'm relying on shit like hoses not failing, and the bucket lifts 800lbs or there abouts. I am on top of maintenance. Seems like it's in the wheel house of acceptable risk, at least for me. I don't use it very often, couple of times per year.

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    i cant see any in the pics but it might have burst valves, check the operators manual.

I'm sure it'll be fine, especially for a few times a year. Proper farm equipment is expensive as in Aus, hard to justify unless you are harvesting, or doing it full time, etc

agricultural
    Please don't use this without the counter weight of the backhoe attachment...

Quote Originally Posted by aerobrick View Post
    Please don't use this without the counter weight of the backhoe attachment...
    lol, yeah. I have had the same thought. It's either that or the woodmax chipper on it, I prefer the backhoe because it has the stabilizers, the chipper is probably heavier.

Not that uncommon to use a man cage on a forklift even in mine sites. Generally need some approvals as it's not a normal done thing but fairly common none the less.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYA View Post
    Not that uncommon to use a man cage on a forklift even in mine sites. Generally need some approvals as it's not a normal done thing but fairly common none the less.
    We've got one in our warehouse, was transferred from another location after they discovered their forklift had standard tines fitted, company policy is only long tines with man cages. PITA with all the WHS requirements, both worksafe and internal. We had to get the whole thing inspected along with the forklift to ensure the ratings were correct, despite nothing changing in the 5 years we've had the thing.