Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33

Thread: Alternative to Golf GTI mk5? 15k budget

  1. #1
    Registered User Uncle Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    927

    Alternative to Golf GTI mk5? 15k budget

    Brother in law has possibly the most unreliable pos WRX in Melbourne and has just done another gearbag so is pretty much going to be scrapped.

    Budget is max 15k on road (closer to 12 would be nice though).
    Needs to be something that feels a little bit sporty or at least a nice place to be.

    He's thinking of a mkv golf GTI but I wouldn't trust the DSG and manuals are pretty rare - there's only a few for sale with lowish k's at the moment.


    Given he has the worst luck known to mankind with cars he needs something pretty robust and not overly $$$$'s to repair (I know, kind of eliminates the VW)


    So, PF brains..... what do I tell him to buy? (other than a bus pass)

  2. #2
    The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1979
    Location
    Zamunda
    Posts
    4,952

  3. #3
    Registered User vlsv88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    96
    As above or the MK6 Golf GTD is playing it safe and they're fun for a 5L/100 car. The 6spd DSG is pretty reliable imo. A riskier option is the Giulietta QV. A friend has one and it's been problem free but the interior is a bit meh

  4. #4
    Registered User StanM3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    That Merc looks a cracker! Maintenance costs would scare a lot of people off no doubt.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    793
    Kia Proceed GT? Kia Cerato Koup Turbo? Drove one, liked it a bit, but didn't buy it in the end. Either should be super reliable, but mostly boring. Bro had an XR5. Great chassis/steering and the 5 cyl sound adds far more character to it than any other similar 4 cyl. Lack of cruise control was painful to live with however.

    That TTV12 though...I've never owned a V12 or TT. Two birds with one stone, mmmm.
    Last edited by 200MPH; 23-04-19 at 09:51 PM.

  6. #6
    You fuckin' beauty Nafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,154
    Could grab a manual Mk6 GTI for under $15k. Would be over 100k on the clock, but as a manual shouldn't be an issue. Mate of mine's 2010 model has clocked up over 180k now.....

  7. #7
    Boob dude to4garret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    823
    Fiesta ST or Focus ST?, there are a few 2012/13 with reasonable kms in that price range (16k ono)
    Last edited by to4garret; 23-04-19 at 10:12 PM.

  8. #8
    Registered User Uncle Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    927
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafe View Post
    Could grab a manual Mk6 GTI for under $15k. Would be over 100k on the clock, but as a manual shouldn't be an issue. Mate of mine's 2010 model has clocked up over 180k now.....
    Only one manual in Melbourne at with under 200k for $15k and take a look at the the paint job on the front quarter!
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-5997505/?Cr=0

  9. #9
    Registered User Uncle Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    927
    Is the XR5 any good from a reliability pov?

  10. #10
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    mebourne
    Posts
    3,982
    Iíve got manual gti mk5 for 4K. Itís perfect all round and nothing goes with it. Had it about a year now.

  11. #11
    Slanted big_pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Wagga
    Posts
    7,833
    Doesnít get much nicer than a BF Falcoon wagon surely?

  12. #12
    VW Service Bloke Sloth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Henry View Post
    Brother in law has possibly the most unreliable pos WRX in Melbourne and has just done another gearbag so is pretty much going to be scrapped.

    Budget is max 15k on road (closer to 12 would be nice though).
    Needs to be something that feels a little bit sporty or at least a nice place to be.

    He's thinking of a mkv golf GTI but I wouldn't trust the DSG and manuals are pretty rare - there's only a few for sale with lowish k's at the moment.


    Given he has the worst luck known to mankind with cars he needs something pretty robust and not overly $$$$'s to repair (I know, kind of eliminates the VW)


    So, PF brains..... what do I tell him to buy? (other than a bus pass)

    mk5 r32 manual. much much better than a mk5 gti. buy one at 10-12k and spend the change on an exhaust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....


    I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

    robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

  13. #13
    The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1979
    Location
    Zamunda
    Posts
    4,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Henry View Post
    Is the XR5 any good from a reliability pov?
    I had one from 4,000km to 130,000km, didnít really do anything outside routine servicing. Pretensioner started to fail a bit early which could have been expensive but most of them should have had belts done by now (10yr/180,000km interval).

    Good call on the R32. My folks have had one since new and outside of DSG gremlins itís been great. I think good manual examples will also start to appreciate in value (if they havenít already)

    ALSO: another contender has to be Megane RS265. By far the best drivers hatch of the era.
    Last edited by tremolo; 24-04-19 at 07:30 AM.

  14. #14
    Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    8,155
    EP3 CTR.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

  15. #15

  16. #16
    Registered User Uncle Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    927
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    mk5 r32 manual. much much better than a mk5 gti. buy one at 10-12k and spend the change on an exhaust.
    Sadly, there is only 1 manual for sale in Vic and it is nearly 100kms from me.

    Is $15k and has 180k on it which is a little higher than I'd prefer ideally, depending on service history etc.

  17. #17
    Registered User Uncle Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    927
    Quote Originally Posted by snavy View Post
    Iíve got manual gti mk5 for 4K. Itís perfect all round and nothing goes with it. Had it about a year now.
    Wanna sell it?

  18. #18
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    mebourne
    Posts
    3,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Henry View Post
    Wanna sell it?
    Iíll be right! Been good to me! Thought for 4K it would be a train wreck but Iím surprised itís a really good example. Got a steal I guess. Iíll

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    395

  20. #20
    turbo that is not so phat
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    ex bris
    Posts
    1,386
    buy the turbo 6 cyl volvo all wheel drive in the for sale thread

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Adelaide, Blackwood, Australia
    Posts
    837
    Iíd buy the s600

    Add boost and watch all the peasants eating your dust

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Newport/VIC/Australia
    Posts
    40
    Who is the car for? You or "your Brother-in-law"? Language is a bit confusing in some posts.

    I don't believe in this bad luck bullshit. I'd suggest the first investment is in some driving lessons to avoid the pattern of trashing cars continuing. Then spend the rest on something affordable.

  23. #23
    bitch lasagne Bob Vegana.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sonova Beach
    Posts
    6,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Henry View Post
    Only one manual in Melbourne at with under 200k for $15k and take a look at the the paint job on the front quarter!
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-5997505/?Cr=0
    Lol yeah, that's been in a shunt.

    If the paint match is that bad, I'd hate to see what lies beneath. Christ..
    Quote Originally Posted by brewdles View Post
    In short, some cunt at test and tune had a 250cc honda turning to 11ty and it sounded porn. Do that.

  24. #24
    turbo that is not so phat
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    ex bris
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
    Iíd buy the s600

    Add boost and watch all the peasants eating your dust
    but sadly you'd have to live with that hideous interior... sensational twenty years ago but sheesh, hasn't aged well... what is going on with that plastic woodgrain

  25. #25
    Registered User Mr Purple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,027
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    I don't believe in this bad luck bullshit. I'd suggest the first investment is in some driving lessons to avoid the pattern of trashing cars continuing. Then spend the rest on something affordable.
    Iím always amazed how badly some people fuck up modern cars in a short period. I can only assume itís alternating between full throttle and threshold braking, kerbing it every time they park, washing it once during their whole period of ownership and never servicing it.

    I always fuck up when I sell my daily by pricing it at the middle of the market for the kms, and underestimating just how fucked the other cars on the markets are by comparison.

    Itís probably worse now many drivers have never experienced carburettors or brake lockup and think of the accelerator and brake pedals as an on/off switch.

  26. #26
    Į\_(ツ)_/Į burn is weird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    gold coast
    Posts
    1,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    Itís probably worse now many drivers have never experienced carburettors or brake lockup and think of the accelerator and brake pedals as an on/off switch.
    You just described me in every rental shit box I've driven
    Last edited by burn is weird; 28-04-19 at 06:21 PM.

    Oo___oO


  27. #27
    Registered User Mr Purple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,027
    Well, that is what rental cars are for.

    Does anyone else still wait until the oil is up to temperature before flogging their daily any more? Does this actually make any difference in a modern car?

  28. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    wollongong
    Posts
    1,103
    If he is in the habit of nailing the WRX of the line then a GTI will cure him of that the first time he does it and the wheels start slamming up & down.

  29. #29
    Registered User Revs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    ALSO: another contender has to be Megane RS265. By far the best drivers hatch of the era.
    Came here to post this. One of the best drives in this price range IMO.

    Don't let the badge put you off, I'm on my second Renault Sport and both have been trouble free. Make sure the timing belt and water pump has been done and you're good to go. They are notoriously hard to sell so low ball on a 265 or find a neat 250. Not much between the two. Opt for one with Recaros.

    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6052971/?Cr=1
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-5920774/?Cr=0
    Last edited by Revs; 29-04-19 at 09:51 AM.

  30. #30
    turbo that is not so phat
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    ex bris
    Posts
    1,386
    i've always liked the rs265, do they have much "tunability" similarly to the VW? only thing that lets it down in my view is the manual, living in the big smoke fighting with a clutch all day everyday would become tiresome.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •