Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Ballpark diagnosis for a dead WRX gearbox?

  1. #1
    Tripping balls willsy01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,820

    Ballpark diagnosis for a dead WRX gearbox?

    Gearbox went pop this morning. Accelerating in third under maybe half throttle and there was a bang and what sounded like a handful of nuts and bolts had been thrown into it.

    • Engine is unmodified
    • Rattles when rolling neutral
    • Shifter feels mushy.....gear selection is possible, but feels terrible
    • Stills drives, managed to limp home using 2nd and 5th
    • No fluid loss or smoke
    • Clutch appears to be fine


    Just trying to figure out what i'm up for.

  2. #2
    Resident Oaf Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    ACT Now!
    Posts
    27,476
    A second hand gearbox.
    The main shaft is very long and has the bearings spaced a long way apart with 3rd being roughly in the middle. Under power the shaft flexes and the gear lash increases, then the teeth get stripped off third gear
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons


    Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

  3. #3
    Tripping balls willsy01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,820
    Figured that was the only course of action. I only just dropped $2.5K on the fucking thing replacing the entire cooling system.

  4. #4
    agricultural
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tas
    Posts
    886
    $500 or less used, new selector fork, new throwout bearing. My old 5mt dropped 3rd similarly.

  5. #5
    Resident Oaf Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    ACT Now!
    Posts
    27,476
    I have a post 2010 Impreza box under my bench here in canberra if you want it. Will swap for Laphroaig.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons


    Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

  6. #6
    TJzone TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    25,926
    What year WRX?

    But yeah as per above it's probably stripped 3rd.
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

  7. #7
    Loving teh titties.. carcrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central Coast - NSW
    Posts
    3,168
    Quote Originally Posted by willsy01 View Post
    Gearbox went pop this morning. Accelerating in third under maybe half throttle and there was a bang and what sounded like a handful of nuts and bolts had been thrown into it.

    • Engine is unmodified
    • Rattles when rolling neutral
    • Shifter feels mushy.....gear selection is possible, but feels terrible
    • Stills drives, managed to limp home using 2nd and 5th
    • No fluid loss or smoke
    • Clutch appears to be fine


    Just trying to figure out what i'm up for.
    Paid $2500 to rebuild a GC8 WRX gearbox about two years ago. Looked at options and other rebuilders and there was nothing really around without changing the back diff to suit the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstein
    The definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result

  8. #8
    Tripping balls willsy01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,820
    Quote Originally Posted by aerobrick View Post
    $500 or less used, new selector fork, new throwout bearing. My old 5mt dropped 3rd similarly.
    I'd wondered if it was a selector fork. Might have to get someone to crack it and take a look.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I have a post 2010 Impreza box under my bench here in canberra if you want it. Will swap for Laphroaig.
    If it's a match for the current box (5sp MY00), I might have to take you up on that.

    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    What year WRX?

    But yeah as per above it's probably stripped 3rd.
    MY00. It's lasted 266K kms.....half of those put on it by me. No idea what life was like for it before I owned it.

    Quote Originally Posted by carcrazy View Post
    Paid $2500 to rebuild a GC8 WRX gearbox about two years ago. Looked at options and other rebuilders and there was nothing really around without changing the back diff to suit the box.
    Called this mob and they want $2750 exchange for a box with a used but fully inspected gear set. $4K with a brand new STI gear set.

  9. #9
    agricultural
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tas
    Posts
    886
    I have a spare '00 sti 5mt with 4.44 final drive but it's sitting in a container in Tas so not worth shipping. Vaguely remember anything post '06 won't be a direct fit, but can swap internals.

  10. #10
    Eurotrash :D
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,126
    6sp swap. never worry again
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....


    I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

    robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

  11. #11
    Tripping balls willsy01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    6sp swap. never worry again
    Too expensive.....more than half the value of the car.

  12. #12
    Founder Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    New New Zealand
    Posts
    4,615
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    6sp swap. never worry again
    Unless you are Kiahatsu with 500awkw

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Hungry Hungry Hippo Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    gong
    Posts
    15,165
    Rorge can change them out in under 30 minutes road side
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

  14. #14
    Registered User clutch-monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    5,174
    mob in sydney rebuilt my mates one when he busted it over mt selwyn 10495895 km from anywhere (limped it to jindabyne with only 1st and 2nd working..)
    they use 2010 or 2015 internals to make it stronger iirc
    can find details if you need
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski View Post
    Memes are only detectable by NSA.

  15. #15
    Tripping balls willsy01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,820
    Started this thing up again yesterday. Has a ticking noise at idle that rises and falls with engine speed......goes away with the clutch disengaged. Can select all gears except 3rd. Whatever broke off is rattling around in there when underway.

    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    mob in sydney rebuilt my mates one when he busted it over mt selwyn 10495895 km from anywhere (limped it to jindabyne with only 1st and 2nd working..)
    they use 2010 or 2015 internals to make it stronger iirc
    can find details if you need
    That'd be handy.....thx.

  16. #16
    Registered User clutch-monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    5,174
    Quote Originally Posted by willsy01 View Post
    Started this thing up again yesterday. Has a ticking noise at idle that rises and falls with engine speed......goes away with the clutch disengaged. Can select all gears except 3rd. Whatever broke off is rattling around in there when underway.



    That'd be handy.....thx.
    techworkz automotive in canberra did the diagnose yada yada but sent the gearbox to a mob in sydney.. trying to find the receipt for a shop name, otherwise may be worth just giving techworkz a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski View Post
    Memes are only detectable by NSA.

  17. #17
    Registered User JZK25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld.
    Posts
    7,841
    Quote Originally Posted by willsy01 View Post
    Too expensive.....more than half the value of the car.
    They are under $2k for a H6 6 speed. Grab one of them and an auto tailshaft and a hummunbird electronics gps speed signal generator and you are done. A GC8 is not going to go down in value if you look after it.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

  18. #18
    Registered User clutch-monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    5,174
    Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    They are under $2k for a H6 6 speed. Grab one of them and an auto tailshaft and a hummunbird electronics gps speed signal generator and you are done. A GC8 is not going to go down in value if you look after it.
    Do the H6 boxes bolt up to the ej20? Very interesting

  19. #19
    Tripping balls willsy01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,820
    I thought a different cross member and matching rear diff were needed as well?

  20. #20
    too old for this shit Kiahatsiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Brisbane/OkTedi
    Posts
    2,594
    Quote Originally Posted by willsy01 View Post
    I thought a different cross member and matching rear diff were needed as well?
    The pre facelift h6 box wants a 3.9:1 diff.

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Torque sells tow cars.
    Horsepower wins horse races.

  21. #21
    Real life axe man Justin Bieber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by willsy01 View Post
    I thought a different cross member and matching rear diff were needed as well?
    Any 6 spd swap is going to require matching ratio rear and shafts.

    My 5 spd finally went pop in my 99 a couple of months ago. Cunt of a thing! Just took off normally out of a driveway and it developed a very loud tick tick that sped up with speed but changed down with higher gear. It got worse very very quickly. Ended up being a few smashed teeth in the center diff.

    Got a replacement box for next to nothing and the local mechanic swapped it out for about $600. Was just lucky to have quick access to a box.

    Will start acquiring parts for a 6spd swap very soon. 6 spd liberties regularly come up for 3k complete. Will buy for driveline and sell the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

  22. #22
    Tripping balls willsy01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,820
    Getting it towed to this mob and swapping in one of these;

    https://www.alldrivesubaroo.com.au/g...s=#yellow-back

    Seems like a batter option than chancing a second hand box that some swede has flogged.

  23. #23
    Registered User Marty!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Sydney, Aus
    Posts
    1,068
    6 speed conversion? good job! if you're keeping the car you won't be sorry. I have a gen 4 liberty one behind my EZ36 with plenty of tourque and it breaks driveshafts before the box has any dramas

  24. #24
    agricultural
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tas
    Posts
    886
    What's that worth, willsy? Upgrading to R180 too?

  25. #25
    Tripping balls willsy01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,820
    They're website is fucking weird. That link went somewhere else the other day. I wish I was getting the 6sp......I'm at the opposite end of the price bracket. Standard Box, pulled apart, inspected then screwed back together, using a 2010 gearset.

    Better than going in blind with a second hand gearbag.

  26. #26
    Registered User clutch-monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    5,174
    Quote Originally Posted by willsy01 View Post
    They're website is fucking weird. That link went somewhere else the other day. I wish I was getting the 6sp......I'm at the opposite end of the price bracket. Standard Box, pulled apart, inspected then screwed back together, using a 2010 gearset.

    Better than going in blind with a second hand gearbag.
    Similar to my mates gc8, heís happy with it and itís holding up well

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •