Thread: Pump vs E85 on turbo map

Pump vs E85 on turbo map

Simple one here and I could be completely stupid but happy to be told so...

Suppose we're looking at a compressor map and considering the airflow of say 40lb/min when using whatever pump fuel at stoic. If the fuel was then switched to E85 and therefore changing the optimum stoic (richer, so less air per cycle), would this effectively reduce the airflow required, maybe 30lb/min in the same conditions and output?

I'm sure this might seem like 101 but have been asking a few friends from here and I might be explaining poorly but interested in your thoughts. Thankyou
    PF Gamers List

Quote Originally Posted by klampykixx
    if a motor has big enough injectors to run say, 7psi but only just starts to max out right on rev limit, will it run more boost lower in the revs without maxing out if you lower the rev limit?

Gut feel is no. For a given hp you need same air, fuel volume will vary depending on energy contained.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

you have this backwards I think. it won't be less air, but more FUEL.

your engine is an air pump, you add as much fuel as you need to hit a target lambda for the air that is ingested. at WOT you don't have control over the air ingested (other than target boost (or pressure ratio on the compressor map) at a specific operating WOT operating point (100% TPS, x RPM, y Boost) you motor takes in the same air, you however will need more FUEL to match this due to the stoich ratio of combustion of the fuels.

at lambda 1.0:
    for gasoline, this is 14.7:1 by mass.
    for e85 it is 9.8:1 by mass.

ethanol is about 0.785 and 98 is about 0.745 specific gravity at 20 degrees C.

so to hit the same lambda target with the different fuels you need 1.5x more fuel by weight, or ~1.43 by volume.

you can usually get away with a leaner mixture on ethanol due to the lower cylinder temps and slower burn. so that reduces fuel requirement further.

but if you're looking at compressor maps, ignore the fuel. e85 means you can just operate higher in the table (more BOOOOST)
    Last edited by burn is weird; 21-05-19 at 04:25 PM.

Oo___oO

Quote Originally Posted by burn is weird View Post
    you have this backwards I think. it won't be less air, but more FUEL.
    your engine is an air pump
    QFT!! Sorry, that was basically the brain fart that made me waste half a dozen hours Really appreciate the clear response and I'm sure it'll help others as well mate. I'll be running one of the gen2 garrett's so will love just a touch of boost and efficiency to run with it! Thanks so much.

PLAYA, you got there first and didn't even know you were still around! Cheers mate.
    Last edited by Lonx; 29-05-19 at 07:48 PM.
    PF Gamers List

Quote Originally Posted by klampykixx
    if a motor has big enough injectors to run say, 7psi but only just starts to max out right on rev limit, will it run more boost lower in the revs without maxing out if you lower the rev limit?