Thread: BMW Mini's - Buyer beware? or not complete shitboxes that are expensive to service

BMW Mini's - Buyer beware? or not complete shitboxes that are expensive to service

Looking to update the missus's car. Budget is around $10k, wouldn't mind something reasonable in quality.

Thinking of something small and quick, she can drive pretty well so was thinking of a 2008-2010 Mini Clubman. For around the $10k mark you can get a reasonable 2008-2010 example with between 70k-130k on the clock, auto, cooper/s.

Have any of you guys owned them? Are they a bag of shit with plastic BMW parts failing daily? Or are they reliable and fun?

Small engine bay looks like a nightmare to work on for mechanics, so would assume higher servicing costs? They also run run flat tyres I see.

Appreciate any feedback before I make regrettable purchase.....

Cheers
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever - Lance Armstrong (drug cheat)

I've got a few mates with Binis.

I wouldn't buy one, they are not small, nor reasonable quality, yes there are plastic bits that fail. I don't get the impression they are unreliable nor hard to service.

I'd be more inclined to buy a Suzuki Swift Sport.
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

My mother has a 2010 Cooper from new. Amazingly, no problems since purchase. It had a battery replaced under warranty, and just the usual consumables within its 60k life so far. I would look for a 1 owner with service records from dealer if possible. Just remember, its a BMW built, UK assembled, Peugeot engined bastard of a thing to begin with.

10k for a hotish hatch, surely the best Golf GTI you can get?
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    Had a Cooper S. Was pretty bulletproof. Got it at ~100klm sold it at 150 or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

Can get same turbo 1.6 engine in a poo joe 207 for $8

Or pay mini tax

Eurotrash :D
    10k gets a golf mk5 r32 if your smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanBatman View Post
    Can get same turbo 1.6 engine in a poo joe 207 for $8

Or pay mini tax
    Got any exact model ID's? Not really keen on owning a Peugeot TBH, would mean guaranteed higher servicing costs all round.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
    Had a Cooper S. Was pretty bulletproof. Got it at ~100klm sold it at 150 or something.
    Cheers for the feedback, not finding many bad reviews. The only thing that is mentioned is, with the clubman, you lose the go-kart feeling of the mini due to the longer wheel base, so would have to weigh up whether the extra space was a requirement or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    10k for a hotish hatch, surely the best Golf GTI you can get?
    High km's (180k-220k) seems to be the only ones I can find for $10-12k in the GTI space, but cheers for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    I've got a few mates with Binis.

I wouldn't buy one, they are not small, nor reasonable quality, yes there are plastic bits that fail. I don't get the impression they are unreliable nor hard to service.

I'd be more inclined to buy a Suzuki Swift Sport.
    Thanks, will check out the swift sport, they actually seem like a viable alternative, although only a 1.6L non turbo for the 5 second look I did last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Potsy View Post
    My mother has a 2010 Cooper from new. Amazingly, no problems since purchase. It had a battery replaced under warranty, and just the usual consumables within its 60k life so far. I would look for a 1 owner with service records from dealer if possible. Just remember, its a BMW built, UK assembled, Peugeot engined bastard of a thing to begin with.
    Thanks for the feedback, the good news is a lot of these things seem to have crazy low kms, so one would assume most come with a dealer service history. I just like them due to a 6 speed auto, small car, petrol + turbo. Big enough while the kids are young, good second car option.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Comes down to the high kms again.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever - Lance Armstrong (drug cheat)

They go to shit pretty hard if not looked after/cared for. Everything from plastic degradation, trim falling off, paint on the interior combing off/wearing and scratching up.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Oh I raise the issues about trim etc because we’ve had a few pass through where helpful owners have siliconed or superglued bits back on instead of having clips replaced or new trim tape used.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    My nopics has the updated 2011 model. This came with the later engine that doesn't eat expensive cam tensions.

For $10k, I'd be buying Japanese.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    SMRT.

Fuck buying VAG products.

10k buys you a lot of French hot hatch...
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 04-06-19 at 12:45 PM.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."