Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Wtac 2017

Quote Originally Posted by sirhsv View Post
    Apparently hes got big new upgrades for this year
    Probably the upgrades that did not finish last year.....
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by sirhsv View Post
    Apparently hes got big new upgrades for this year
    Says that every year.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBAPHENT View Post
    I dont think i will go this year, event was boring last year and the live stream is more entertaining, but will do Vic and SA again
    The live stream is very good for those at home, the format really suits commentary and coverage over live i think.

767B showcase laps and wondering around the vendor tents/cars are fairly worth admission though.

Littering and....?
    The Tilton Evo is getting rebuilt for this apparently. Off to Melbourne next week for straightening

Tickets for this year's event went on sale yesterday. Bought mine. Really looking forward to finally getting down to this event.
    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JGTC View Post
    The live stream is very good for those at home, the format really suits commentary and coverage over live i think.

767B showcase laps and wondering around the vendor tents/cars are fairly worth admission though.
    Best part is wandering through the car park, checking out all the street cars you never see anymore.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Haha yeah there are some cool as cars in the carpark.

Another MR2 guy is competing this year with a rather rapid SW20, in open class.
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo View Post
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

be good to see a MR2 compete. always crosses my mind that i should attempt to build one up in the future.
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

Got my tickets thanks for the heads up. Im heading down in convoy with a few mates. Gonna stay the Friday and then run off and go hiking in the blue mountains I think

Random comment.

I know these cars are pretty much setup around one single lap, but with some setup and tuning changes, how would one go at doing a lap of the 'Ring in anger?

Be pretty interesting to see the hammerhead take on the 'Ring
    Last edited by AndyMac; 19-08-19 at 01:20 PM.
    Panzer Wagen

M-Cars follow the idea that power should be felt & not seen

good, but not 919 evo good.

Oo___oO

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post

Ring would be too bumpy unless they went all out on bespoke suspension components. MCA use the car to showcase the suspension you can buy from them ie MCA gold spec coilovers even at eastern creek they'd had issues once it gets loaded up by the aero.
    If in doubt power out

In slightly related news, Andre Heimgartner broke the 20 year old outright lap record in the MCA Hammerhead at Queensland Raceways last Thursday. Andre only had a few sessions in the car on the short tracks, before having a crack at the National Circuit during the lunch break of the Time Attack event. He recorded a 1:04.03, which bettered the previous record of 1:04.06 previously held by Simon Wills in a Holden Reynard 94D.

https://www.facebook.com/AHRacing/vi...9638897192569/
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post

Would be an interesting exercise but I reckon it would be a heap of work to try and make these things last the ring and actually work. The bumps of the ring are one thing. The distance and durability required another. Also seeing what they can do to a set of 050s in a couple of laps wont get them around the ring but I guess there are always slicks. I guess making one survive pikes peak would be a similar challenge.

Do they have a class that is suited to how far you can push a stock shell, retain and use strut towers and so on? dont think there is much left in regards to off the shelf item's other then you can buy majority of tiltons and suzuki unders kit

Going to be some fast car's this year and i think i will watch it from comfort of my house.
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

^Isn't that clubsprint?

RP968 would be killer on the ring with it's active suspension.

Where do the all the tyres end up from this? I'd like to get my hands on some used/scrubbed A050 mediums. Too inexperienced to buy into a new set.

Be pretty funny seeing some of these cars trying to get through the carousel at the Ring with those ridiculous front wings.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Be pretty funny seeing some of these cars trying to get through the carousel at the Ring with those ridiculous front wings.
    Lots of snapped carbon haha.
    Anyone driving down?

I'm tempted to drive the green car down if it is ready and I'm not too busy with work.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

ill be driving down. all 10kms of it haha

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I'm tempted to drive the green car down if it is ready and I'm not too busy with work.
    we're heading to coffs on the wednesday night then trundling around southern nsw on the thursday if anyone wants to join us for a stint/bring a recovery vehicle because we will be in dumb cars
    Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    lol! bit shorter than our trip
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski View Post
    Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    thats what... about an hour? hour and half drive in Sydney???
    /csh Racing

it takes me 40mins to 1hr to drive 14kms to work in the morning from parramatta to mac park. dont make jokes

Quote Originally Posted by TCR View Post
    In slightly related news, Andre Heimgartner broke the 20 year old outright lap record in the MCA Hammerhead at Queensland Raceways last Thursday. Andre only had a few sessions in the car on the short tracks, before having a crack at the National Circuit during the lunch break of the Time Attack event. He recorded a 1:04.03, which bettered the previous record of 1:04.06 previously held by Simon Wills in a Holden Reynard 94D.

https://www.facebook.com/AHRacing/vi...9638897192569/
    Doesn't break the track's lap record. Lap records are set in races. That old Formula Holden time was set on the last lap of a 22 lap race.

It probably isn't the outright record for the track either - you'd assume someone went faster in qualifying or at some test day somewhere along the way. Those times aren't recorded anywhere because like the MCA time, they don't count for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by hrd View Post
    Doesn't break the track's lap record. Lap records are set in races. That old Formula Holden time was set on the last lap of a 22 lap race.

It probably isn't the outright record for the track either - you'd assume someone went faster in qualifying or at some test day somewhere along the way. Those times aren't recorded anywhere because like the MCA time, they don't count for anything.
    I know that's the usual stipulation behind an official lap record, but given that Time Attack cars don't "race" as such, they will never be in a situation to post a lap time in those conditions, and therefore never been officially accredited with a lap record. Regardless of whether or not it's officially a lap record, it's an extremely quick time that puts the performance capabilities of these cars into perspective, and shows where MCA are at with the development of their car.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    Anyone driving down?
    Couldn't afford the extra time off work, so flying down on Thursday morning.
    Last edited by TCR; 21-08-19 at 09:59 AM.
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by gmx View Post
    ^Isn't that clubsprint?
    Thought maybe one above that, i guess suzuki under is a good example with his old car, using stock strut tower's and everything you can buy off the shelf and build yourself. hardly a custom tube framed car.

none the less, i feel i have jumped ship a bit in regards to my thoughts on the situation and i'm enjoying the tilton's and MCA's,ect even though there is only like 10% of the orginal car left
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by TCR View Post
    I know that's the usual stipulation behind an official lap record, but given that Time Attack cars don't "race" as such, they will never be in a situation to post a lap time in those conditions, and therefore never been officially accredited with a lap record. Regardless of whether or not it's officially a lap record, it's an extremely quick time that puts the performance capabilities of these cars into perspective, and shows where MCA are at with the development of their car.
    I'm honestly amazed they're not miles faster than the old Formula Holdens race pace over 1 lap. 1200bhp/980kg, wider (all up) stickier tyres that will only do one hot lap at a time, and utterly insane amounts of aero.

I think it just shows how much of a difference it makes to truly build as a race car from the ground up. Despite the massive engineering that goes into Time attack cars, having a huge cabin originally designed to sit 5 people (uncomfortably) is a huge chunk of a compromise.

Lets not forget TA cars are on yokie 050 street legal tyres and not on race slicks. Be no doubt of time to be had on a full slick.

If I still find myself gainfully unemployed by WTAC, the plan is to pop down and support the big fella in his Vic Time Attack RX7. Apparently I can help with data analysis. Time to watch some motec webinars and practice on some of my data 😁

yeah slicks that had done 22 race laps when they set that record. I doubt the hammerhead would be faster on a set of slicks in that sort of hard compound, let alone after 22 consecutive race laps worth of wear and degradation.
    Last edited by hrd; 21-08-19 at 03:45 PM.