Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Cambodian guy gave me a rusty 60 series.

A Cambodian guy gave me a rusty 60 series.

A colleague at work told me he wanted to give away an old 4x4 that had been sitting in his shed for 5 years. He had previously mentioned to me that he had an old Landcruiser requiring rust repairs that he was going to fix up and tow a caravan around Australia with. So with little information other than it being a 1982 model I went for a look and found a 60 Series equipped with an injected Holden 5.0, 4 speed auto and LPG. Armed with a day permit and jump pack I went back the following weekend to pick it up.

Surprisingly it pretty much started straight away and drove quite well on the way home, even has working AC! Mechanically it seems pretty solid, the interior is a little rough but not really that bad for its age, certainly not trashed. Unfortunately although the body is straight, it has some terrible rust around the roof and tops of the pillars. At this stage I'm not really sure what direction to take with it.

Thinking I will bog and paint the holes for now just so it can be driven with minimal cop attention but long term I'm not sure if its worth repairing properly or swapping the body over. Me and the nopics both already have 4x4s so it seems pointless spending money on it however it would make a good no fucks given daily just bodged up.

Anyone done a complete body swap before?

Last edited by EnFlaMEd; 11-06-19 at 12:41 AM.

too far gone...
    you will be forever chasing the rust...
    unregistered farm fun bus is probably it's best use....

A Cambodian guy gave me a rusty 60 series.

Looks like all the rust is on the back? Could be a perfect candidate for a rear chop touring rig. Something similar to the dirty 30 from 4wd action.

My take would be bog it up for now with a long term plan to rear chop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by vet 180; 11-06-19 at 03:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Turn it into convertible for summer 4x4ing

Drop 20k on the repairs and sell it for 10k

That would be scary chasing rust on...probably be nothing left.

Vinyl roof wrap after fill in holes.
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Quote Originally Posted by vet 180 View Post
    Looks like all the rust is on the back? Could be a perfect candidate for a rear chop touring rig. Something similar to the dirty 30 from 4wd action.

My take would be bog it up for now with a long term plan to rear chop

Unfortunately the top of the A pillars are just as bad. I actually started hacking into a bit today and the wire wheel was just sinking into old bog. Looks like its had a bog restoration sometime in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by South View Post
    Drop 20k on the repairs and sell it for 10k
    I'm already doing that with my daily

Quote Originally Posted by gtrboyy View Post
    That would be scary chasing rust on...probably be nothing left.

Vinyl roof wrap after fill in holes.
    From the bit of grinding I have done so far its turning out that way. Looks like the roof is already 70% bog. I'll get some more photos up when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by EnFlaMEd View Post
    Unfortunately the top of the A pillars are just as bad. I actually started hacking into a bit today and the wire wheel was just sinking into old bog. Looks like its had a bog restoration sometime in the past.

I'm already doing that with my daily

From the bit of grinding I have done so far its turning out that way. Looks like the roof is already 70% bog. I'll get some more photos up when I get a chance.
    In that case cut the roof off and farm/trail truck it

Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

A bit of the grinder aftermath. Its a shame seeing as the rest of the car is relatively rust free.

Got a welder?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Exposing Swamp Creatures Walt Kowalski's Avatar
    +1 for Convertible. With Speedster style screen.

Or Fibreglass Hummer body.

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    so much potential for fun with this if you are ok not caring about the rust.

no money no cares fun is sometimes the best fun.

Put a VN wagon body on it.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Put a AU wagon body on it.
    Fixed that for ya.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

I would have thought one of those fibreglass FJ40 2-door bodies and then build out a wood tray on the back.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Are the tops of the pillars where these usually rust?

ie is it worth keeping an eye out for another body that you can gank a turret from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

Yeah the ice delivery boys on Moreton who happen to be my mates, used to chop less rust out of their vehicles every 2 years.
    Now they just buy 10x new vehicles but the $6 bags of ice (frozen type) it all adds up.
    Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    may 10 thousand malaria carrying mozzies attack their syphillis sores simultaniously whilst their shrivelled genitalia are nibbled by hungry gofers

Isn't this what Takai is looking for to repower his FJ60?
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I would have thought one of those fibreglass FJ40 2-door bodies and then build out a wood tray on the back.
    id go with the FJ40 2 door body as suggested with a 70 series style ute body on the back
    RB26......................Again

Quote Originally Posted by lysdexia View Post

ie is it worth keeping an eye out for another body that you can gank a turret from?
    The 55 and 60 series are bad for rusting out the roof and pillars, and around the fixed glass on the 60s. It's actually fairly hard to find one that hasn't got some rust in those areas, granted not all of them are as bad as this one though. Problem is even if you find a good turret for this one, what about the rest of the rust in the floors, firewall etc?

Opens
    bog it, paint it badly, find something else to fuss about.

Too bad it's a Holden V8 conversion, if it was diesel some idiot would pay $15k for it. Seriously, have seen stupid arguments on Toymods about the relative merits of spending $10-15k on some 12H-T 60 series with 600,000km on it. No matter how reliable you think they are, it would be a rare one that isn't completely fucked.

My vote would be lots of bog, dodgy rego and hilarity but it's a bit useless given you already have too many 4WDs. Otherwise Gammaboy's suggestion of a VN wagon rebody is the go!

Yeah. +1 Go the VN or AU wagon.

Got a welder?
    I do at work, but not sure if the boss would be keen on me doing a resto in the workshop

Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    so much potential for fun with this if you are ok not caring about the rust.

no money no cares fun is sometimes the best fun.
    I think a cheap patch up will be the plan.

Put a VN wagon body on it.
    Funnily enough one of my mates found exactly that for sale already last night .

That would be awesome. I actually had a quick google but couldn't find any complete bodys for sale, just panels.

Quote Originally Posted by lysdexia View Post

Seems everywhere around the roof is common. I have an acquaintance who runs a landcruiser wrecking business so might pop around there sometime and have a talk with him about it. He seems to bring 60s through fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    The 55 and 60 series are bad for rusting out the roof and pillars, and around the fixed glass on the 60s. It's actually fairly hard to find one that hasn't got some rust in those areas, granted not all of them are as bad as this one though. Problem is even if you find a good turret for this one, what about the rest of the rust in the floors, firewall etc?
    Floor seems ok from just looking underneath. There is rust around where the wiper motor? panel is on the fire wall, rest of it seems ok. The guards have minor rust, one door has big holes on the inside of it and there is a nasty looking patch along the passenger side sill panel which is hidden with the door closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    Too bad it's a Holden V8 conversion, if it was diesel some idiot would pay $15k for it. Seriously, have seen stupid arguments on Toymods about the relative merits of spending $10-15k on some 12H-T 60 series with 600,000km on it. No matter how reliable you think they are, it would be a rare one that isn't completely fucked.

My vote would be lots of bog, dodgy rego and hilarity but it's a bit useless given you already have too many 4WDs. Otherwise Gammaboy's suggestion of a VN wagon rebody is the go!
    I think this is going to be the plan. It actually seems to have had legit rego in the past, the v8 engine number is recorded on the paper work I was given with the car.

Leaning towards filling everything with fiberglass reo bog and possibly painting the whole thing in raptor liner (truck bed liner) tinted to match the original paint. Nopics isn't really keen on the raptor liner idea though "it looks gay" and the cost being $600ish to do it. I'm all for it at this stage. I think it will look better than having touch up paint sprayed everywhere. Its definitely not getting a proper paint job.

Thereís a diesel 4-speed one of these for sale here in Canberra $2500 and itís not a completely rusty pile shit. But that means realistically if you spend anything but a pot of big and a couple of rattle cans youíll be over capitalising.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Bog, rattle can Matt black and drive like you stole it

Thereís a diesel 4-speed one of these for sale here in Canberra $2500 and itís not a completely rusty pile shit. But that means realistically if you spend anything but a pot of big and a couple of rattle cans youíll be over capitalising.
    That seems reasonable. Anything half decent here seems to be between 8-15k :/ Even more Toyota tax than the 80 series unless it has a 1hd in it.

Dodgy up the holes and paint it in Sandy taupe raptor liner. Some muppet will pay plenty for it then.