Thread: The FWD sickness is strong in me

The FWD sickness is strong in me

So I got rid of the bugeye STI as it wasnt getting used and i wanted something a bit cheaper wasting space in the garage (In hindsight i wish i had of kept it)
    Then got a clio RS200 for a track toy to pair with my Gen4 liberty 3.0R-B - one comfy daily and a fun weekender, great idea!

In the end, i drove the clio maybe 5 times in the time i had it, and the liberty while a great car was terribly boring.
    Havent done a track day in years so figured i'd sell the clio to fund something manual and fun that i could drive each day, and then sell off the liberty.

The search was on for something as follows
    • Manual
    • Relatively low KM
    • some "character"
    • 4 doors (tried the clio with the child for 1 day - fuck that)
    • decent aftermarket support and mod potential

Looked at the possibility of another STI but they were all overpriced and/or crap condition
    Std WRX the gearbox and EJ20/25 reliability didnt fill me with confidence.
    Manual Liberty was an option but again stuck with the potential dok-dok motor, and lack of mod support for the 3L
    Megane 225 interested me but all were thrashed, and i hated the rear end

Looked around and settled on the below, the apparent PF favourite of the hot hatch world

2010 (LV) XR5, with 110,000km on it
    Used to have slug stripes on it which have been removed and will need some buffing work to get out.
    Generally pretty tidy overall.

Knew pretty quickly after the test drive that it was what i was after, great seats, nice box, torquey motor that has some character to the sound (which is important to me)
    Due for its big service so got the dealer to knock $2k off the price and was good to go.

Currently the car has a bit of an issue with the oil pressure light/gauge and occasional stumble but its really intermittent.
    Suspect possible that the dealer serviced it with the wrong weight oil (it takes 0w40), but the code reader also indicated a possibility of an instrument cluster issue (Code U1900-20).
    Going to change out the oil and the oil pressure sender to see if it helps.
    Car is still under statutory warranty so if still persisting after that i'll let them fix it.

Anyway, overall plans that i'd like to do is get it up towards std RS power level (300hp at the crank) and then do some track days.

1. Intercooler
    2. Tune
    3. De-res of the exhaust
    4. slightly lower springs
    5. tyres (and maybe wheels)
    6. quaife + clutch

Very good indeed. Have banged hard previously. Clean the TB whilst itís in the shop.

Also look up Collins short shifter and Powerflex lower engine mount bush insert.

Get Eibach pro kit lowered springs if using standard struts. Iíll find the link where to buy.

Iíve got two Hankook z221 semis 235ís still good if you find two more.
    Last edited by Greg Rust; 18-06-19 at 10:32 AM.
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Good one. I miss my warbler.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    Very good indeed. Have banged hard previously. Clean the TB whilst itís in the shop.

Also look up Collins short shifter and Powerflex lower engine mount bush insert.

Get Eibach pro kit lowered springs if using standard struts. Iíll find the link where to buy.

Iíve got two Hankook z221 semis 235ís still good if you find two more.
    Just a bit of upper engine cleaner i guess?
    Yeah i think the torque mounts are a pretty common thing too, have felt some wheel hop in the wet.

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Mine was so much better after throwing an Elevate torque mount on it

Yep what he said
    2007 KTM 250 SX

I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Yeah, bro had one of these for a few years. His was stock, but with straight pipe replacing resonator. Gave it a little bit of a note when on boost, otherwise good daily. Love the noise of these. Freeing up the intake may give some nice tunes too, but dunno, never tried it on his. Nice as a daily, about same go as my old 3.5L manual Magma, so OK until you really ask the question, then it noses over hard at revs. Maybe a tune would sort that. It'll probably sort your clutch too.
    Took it for a lap of RAC track one day. Needs LSD on track. Don't bother without one. Perfectly good on the road however.

Only real bad thing on car was no cruise control. Dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by 200MPH View Post
    Yeah, bro had one of these for a few years. His was stock, but with straight pipe replacing resonator. Gave it a little bit of a note when on boost, otherwise good daily. Love the noise of these. Freeing up the intake may give some nice tunes too, but dunno, never tried it on his. Nice as a daily, about same go as my old 3.5L manual Magma, so OK until you really ask the question, then it noses over hard at revs. Maybe a tune would sort that. It'll probably sort your clutch too.
    Took it for a lap of RAC track one day. Needs LSD on track. Don't bother without one. Perfectly good on the road however.

Yeah i'll never track an FWD without a diff, i've put them in every one i've raced.
    You cant have low rev torque without it nosing over up top - my reading indicates that once i get to that point i'll probably look at moving over to the RS-spec turbo which has a lot bigger intake and hot-sides

RE exhaust i'll probably pop in a hot-dog, want some more noise without being obnoxious

You'll be fine just removing resonator. Removing resonator and keeping standard big rear muffler is fine. No drones or whatever inside, only sounds a little meatier when you give it a little boost accelerating. Not noisy at all, just meatier sound under load.

Mettams mufflers in Morley did a hot dog in mine was $80 whilst I waited.

MFactory LSD was awesome with ACS clutch.

http://www.teammfactory.com/
    Last edited by Greg Rust; 20-06-19 at 12:22 AM.
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Mettams mufflers in Morley did a hot dog in mine was $80 whilst I waited.

MFactory LSD was awesome with ACS clutch.

http://www.teammfactory.com/
    Yeah i couldnt remember what diff you put in yours, there are a few options around (used box with Quaife already installed)
    Suppose i need to weigh up the costs of just doing that + box swap vs getting someone to take my box out and install a diff in it - at least im not left with a spare GB i'll never use

I did it myself over a weekend but had a hoist and engine crane, to be honest I wouldn't recommend it as it was a pretty big job for one person first time round but the gains were excellent.
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Quote Originally Posted by 200MPH View Post
    Exact reason it went Megane RS over one.
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

I did it myself over a weekend but had a hoist and engine crane, to be honest I wouldn't recommend it as it was a pretty big job for one person first time round but the gains were excellent.
    Im not a mechanical guy anyway so i'd be paying either way.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Exact reason it went Megane RS over one.
    RS250/265 was very high on my list but no 4 door made it an impossibility.
    I'll probably add an aftermarket cruise control module at some point

further research indicates that it may be an issue with the instrument cluster, currently checking if anyone local can diagnose/repair, stupid CAN bus