Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: $50-60k two car garage?

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar

$50-60k two car garage?

Gentlemen

So I have two cars, a Focus RS which I drive to work & does family duties on the weekend, and my wife has a Mk7 Golf which goes from our house to the fruit shop/butcher about twice a week.

80% of the km done in my RS would be by myself. I hardly ever get a chance to drive it properly (I have a 3yr old and a 3 month old). So it does the odd 2nd gear pull on freeway onramps and thatís kind of it. With two kids we are also starting to find the limits of itís size.

So Iím thinking do I fuck both cars off and start again. Get something a bit bigger for the wife/weekend duties, and get something for me to take to work (doesnít need to be practical).

Maybe be happy to spend $50-60k for the two cars, the split doesnít matter

I was thinking something like a mid size wagon/sedan (A4 or 3 series?) and then something like a 135i/Boxster?

I dunno, thoughts?

any age requirement for the cars?

New three cylinder Fiesta ST ($27k odd) for you and Skoda Superb with the AWD and Golf R spec motor for the wife?

Either that or try to get one of the newer higher power 2L MX5s, if you really don't care for practicality.

Au Falcon wagon on gas
    Au XR8 for you
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Opens
    Subaru Outback for the mrs. Whatever for yourself but remember you never have a chance to use it properly so don't go overboard on performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Sneakers prompted the erection. Engine stand made me do something with it

Quote Originally Posted by kedderz View Post
    any age requirement for the cars?
    Something newish for the family car (doesn't need to be 0km new, but a few years old max and low km)

"my" car, don't care. Just needs to get me to work reliably

Food for thought. You're picking up the kids still so maybe a soft-roader, so you're not bent over with a 3 month old trying to get into a low car. Rear hatch allows to you load pram easily.

Camry hybrid - 2012+ with the 2.5 DI - then something less sensible - 40 series with a v12, or jeep like Shep's - or a softroader thing your mrs can pop to the shops comfortably in.

or two camrys and a clubman

we have something similar - camry & falcon turbo
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Are you keen on Euro cars or doesn't matter? If no matter, I'd suggest Mazda 6 wagon for your wife and an MX-5 or 86 for yourself.

Camry Hybrid/Ringstinger for misso (stinger if you want to enjoy it when you drive)
    elantra SR turbo in manual/auto post 2016 models

Wife W211 E55
    You 986 Boxster S

You'll have change.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Au Falcon wagon on gas
    Au XR8 for you
    What this man said, but series 2 or 3 and make the XR8 a pursuit ute with the 5.6 stroker

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

I'm not ever owning a Camry

The family car needs to be practical, but also not remove my will to live and the wife wants some level of niceness to it so she can hard park it at James St on occasion. A mate has one of those new Mazda 6s and they are really nice inside

Maybe if I'm feeling flush I could get a TE50 TJ

Cal what are those cars like on running costs? I like the idea

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    If the fact that the Benz is 15 years old is a bit scary for the nopix' car; you can probably achieve a "safer bet" from a reliability & maintenance point of view, for a similar buy-now price (but worse resale & way cheaper-feeling interior) by getting a VF2 SS wagon.

*edit*
    Heh heh Ö or you can probably buy a new 2018 Le Commode for about $100 less than it was when I started typing this sentence Ö
    Oops, another sentence, another $100 cheaper.

I like the Superb concept, although depreciation again (a big positive for the E55!).
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 24-06-19 at 11:43 AM.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    I'd get a ~2012 Mercedes E class. They seem to be worth pennies. Get the E350 with the NA V6 and avoid euro-aids from stressed small motor turbos etc. Really nice inside too. They come in wagon too!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    You are missing out - they are incredibly economical to own, and a nice place to spend time - will also chop a shit tin of cars that aren't expecting it - lineball with a S1 Audi to 140, colour screen, bluetooth/ipod/etc, we've done nearly 100k km in ours in 4 years - serviced twice a year - we have replaced two sets of tires & two headlight bulbs.

but it's not a golf - you will notice the jizz stains on the interior.
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

The family car needs to be practical, but also not remove my will to live and the wife wants some level of niceness to it so she can hard park it at James St on occasion. A mate has one of those new Mazda 6s and they are really nice inside

Maybe if I'm feeling flush I could get a TE50 TJ
    Skoda Superb with the 206KW Golf R motor for the missus, put a tune in it and they go pretty damned hard and are really nice to be in.

I recently looked at the Superb 206, very nice to drive though I found the throttle response very dull supposedly easily cured with swapping to Golf R/Audi S3 throttle maps. Ended up buying a XC60 D5R which is super punchy for a 2L diesel.
    If in doubt power out

2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Cal what are those cars like on running costs? I like the idea
    In reality unless your wife is a complete upper middle class bogan, the E55 is total overkill. You'd be better off with a later model E class wagon with a fair lesser engine. Our W211 E350 has 208000kms and in 3 and a bit years of ownership I've put a mass air flow meter in it & serviced it. If you can live with the headlights, a W212 like this might be worth a look https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...6000296/?Cr=12

Never owned a Boxster, but except for making certain the IMS bearing it done, I read only good things. They are an utter steal https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...6057041/?Cr=32 Being you've saved so much on the family car, you could even stretch to a Cayman, but probably not an S.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

I've been eyeing off 2014/15 Audi Q5s for low to mid 20s. That leaves almost 40k for shennanigans, like an E92 M3, or any number of fun but practical things like a 135i, Evo, VF SS etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

F40 for you
    Brabus Rocket for family
    Ex-Benetton F1 car for family dog.

Quote Originally Posted by [CatchMe] View Post
    I've been eyeing off 2014/15 Audi Q5s for low to mid 20s. That leaves almost 40k for shennanigans, like an E92 M3, or any number of fun but practical things like a 135i, Evo, VF SS etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Not bhed

Quote Originally Posted by '[CatchMe
    like an E92 M3
    Also an excellent idea.

You know you want a S1 Elise and Mazda 6 wagon... or some SUV thing, it doesn't matter, what matters is the S1 Elise. And you'll probably make money on it.

This is true, though I'd probably spend up extra on a Toyota engined version.

I swear I'm going to do that once I no longer need a kid's seat to transport the small child. 'But it's practically a Corolla, of course I can commute in it!'.

You will regret the 2nd car having only 2 seats if you go a boxster or similar. Iíd be suggesting a megane RS or similar. Cayenne or toureag for the primary car.

Base focus for your wife, Golf R for you

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fly510 View Post
    You will regret the 2nd car having only 2 seats if you go a boxster or similar. Iíd be suggesting a megane RS or similar. Cayenne or toureag for the primary car.
    Can't believe how cheap these are now.
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6159849/?Cr=7
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02