Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $50-60k two car garage?

Screaming banshee
    Quote Originally Posted by Cplus View Post
    Iím slightly further down the road than you - my kids are 6&3

We have a Passat wagon (luxíish but semi fasts - has R36 motor) and Golf GTI

Iím contemplating my next car move now. Passat is likely staying (5yrs now!). Golf (3yrs now) I either need to balloon, upgrade or dispose and get something older.

However, I canít fathom for the past 3 years (or the next three) having had a second car that couldnít handle a kid in backseat. The concept of both kids being with one parent all the time in the ďfamily carĒ and the other car just being for me to drive to work and the occasional blast isnít realistic.

For example, on the weekend my wife took my daughter to the beach and to visit her Oma. The little bloke and I went to get him new shoes and wash the car (plus went to Supercheap auto and Bunnings). Not uncommon for us to ďdivide and conquerĒ on weekends so we get more done. Both kids with one parent does happen, but not always (fucking hard to go to the supermarket with both for example)

We also have sport stuff about to kick off on Saturdays which will mean one kid at the pool and one at Auskick.

If I had ďmy wayĒ and there was a Cayman or something similarly impractical in the garage I would have been stuck at home on the weekend and anything like sport will be ďone all inĒ

It might work for you to only have one car that can handle ruggers, but not for me.

The answer is actually 3 cars. But thatís another conversation with the minister for domestic affairs. As much as Iíd like to change it, the budget for that ministry outweighs the one under the minister of entertainment.
    Lots of people run car seats in the front of caymans. My understanding is they have smart airbags which disable when car seat is being used otherwise you can switch off (check for specific cayman models etc) but as long as you do your research and buy one with the right seats (you canít run a car seat using the new carbon buckets for example) youíll be fine. If the thing thats stopping you getting a Boxster/cayman is the times when you have just one kid the good news is that it doesnít need to. Live out your Porsche dreams

Quote Originally Posted by IMOA View Post
    Live out your Porsche dreams
    Yes, and manual 996 911 coupes can be had for $40k now. It's the practical Porsche with a backseat...

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...SSE-AD-6037594

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by [CatchMe]; 25-06-19 at 01:12 PM.

Live out your Porsche dreams
    If your dream car is a second hand Boxster, you need better fucking dreams.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Screaming banshee
    Quote Originally Posted by [CatchMe] View Post
    Alternatively, manual 996 911 coupes can be had for $40k now. It's the practical Porsche with a backseat...

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...SSE-AD-6037594

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I agree. On one of the dream car threads a couple of years back I pointed out a low mileage, IMS fixed and mildly modded 996.2 for 55k. In the end a mate bought it and after 2 years of lots of fun its probably worth 75k. If you can get over the lights the 996.1ís are great value for money

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    If your dream car is a second hand Boxster, you need better fucking dreams.
    Doesnít have to be a Boxster or second hand, thereís lots of room for dreams between a 10k 996 Boxster and a new 250k GT4/Spyder. And they all take child seats (unless you get one with the 918 carbon buckets. Which you should because theyíre awesome seats)

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    What has trem ever done to you?
    He got his RS before me and I've never recovered
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    ^Gammaboys has been a cunt of a thing, I'm surprised he recommends them. What about yours?
    Aside from a starter that shat itself and was fixed under the supplied warranty, and a pair of new tyres, it's been a cracker of a car.

Handled the family trip from Brisbane to Sydney with ease, and as I said above is way too much fun and handles so much better than a wagon it's size should.

The only thing Gamma's had over mine was the push in the back that the extra torques if the diesel has.

So yeah, I would recommend an E61 that has been well looked after.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

^Gammaboys has been a cunt of a thing, I'm surprised he recommends them. What about yours?
    I'd hardly call it a cunt of a thing. Turbo got noisy, replaced it (suspect the servicing in the UK was a bit shonky). That sucked because I did it myself... and fucked the oil drain oring twice. Thermostat shat itself, common issue, caused DPF regen to not happen - which is how I found out about the problem. Eating balancers has been weird though, but all told, we've put fuel in it, tyres on it, it's fast (surprisingly so up a twisty road), comfortable, economical and looks good.
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 25-06-19 at 01:30 PM.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TBass View Post
    Why not just keep the RS as the fun car and get a 6/Outback/Forester/Camry for family duties? I can't see anything else being suggested that better fits the "fun car I'm just going to drive to work" brief, and at least the RS will still be usable to put the kids in occasionally (you will regret only having one car that can do this if you get a Boxster/MX5).

What is it exactly that you don't like about the RS?
    I love the RS, but all it does is take me to work. It's a $53k car that gets 400km to a tank. It's the 'good' car so on the weekends everyone crams into it and I putter about at 50km/h. I've had it out for a decent drive once since December 2017.

So I'm thinking why bother...get something comfier/bigger for the fam, and something basic/fun for me.

I had a look at those Passat wagons with the Golf R motor, fucking nice things. 0-100 in 5.5s!

I think the answer here is get the snip and start doing more trackdays
    2007 KTM 250 SX

I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    I love the RS, but all it does is take me to work. It's a $53k car that gets 400km to a tank. It's the 'good' car so on the weekends everyone crams into it and I putter about at 50km/h. I've had it out for a decent drive once since December 2017.

So I'm thinking why bother...get something comfier/bigger for the fam, and something basic/fun for me.

I had a look at those Passat wagons with the Golf R motor, fucking nice things. 0-100 in 5.5s!

Ok, so for a basic commuter that's still a bit of fun for your Mon-Fri I'd be going the new 3 pot Festiva ST or a Polo GTI. 5 doors so still practical enough to chuck the family in every now and then, and fun to chuck around on the back street rat run home each day.

For the family hauler thats still going to be somewhat enjoyable for you to drive on the weekends, the 206 4x4 Passat/Superb would be the go, or Octavia RS.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    I don't see the point of selling a good, depreciated hatch for another new, slower hatch.

I can however see the attraction to buying something cheap and thrashable where you don't need to be doing 150km/h to have fun.

Someone previously posted up a thread about Civic Type Rs. Might be fun. Certainly cheap now and come with Honda reliability.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

I'd hardly call it a cunt of a thing.
    Pretty sure it was you who called it that!
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Yeh, honestly if the focus is trouble free. How about throwing some mods at it?

The other thing I would consider would be an ISF Lexus or LSA variant HSV.

Pretty sure it was you who called it that!
    That was when we thought the timing chain was fucked - thankfully that noise was the balancer failing.

Chop the Focus in for one of the hot french hatches? Or a 147/156 GTA?

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Unless you are going to suddenly find some time to enjoy a Boxster or whatever you replace it with then i dont really see the point? Wont it also be just getting the occasional 2nd gear squirt on the on ramp but be even less practical? If you want something cheaper on fuel and a bit of fun in the roundabouts etc on the commute then a Swift Sport would fit the bill and get the nopix a Superb Wagon with the Golf R driveline.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Chop the Focus in for one of the hot french hatches? Or a 147/156 GTA?
    A late 197 style Clio Sport would be a better option than a now old 147 GTA for similar money. In fact I want one.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

On reflection, why is it you want to sell the Focus RS? I'd be keeping that and just buying another car for the wife.

I'm done the calculations on my M140i and I'd save more money keeping it a year or two beyond the four year term than selling it and downgrading to something like a Fiesta ST.

A late 197 style Clio Sport would be a better option than a now old 147 GTA for similar money. In fact I want one.
    147GTA sounds epic though.

get a scooter for work duties. and a baller weekend/family car.

I got sick of traffic and parking and just got a 150cc Piaggio fly for $1800. costs fuckall to run, about 90 bucks to insure and 400 for rego and lets me have thirsty big/fast cars for weekend shenanigans.

Oo___oO

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    On reflection, why is it you want to sell the Focus RS? I'd be keeping that and just buying another car for the wife.

I'm done the calculations on my M140i and I'd save more money keeping it a year or two beyond the four year term than selling it and downgrading to something like a Fiesta ST.
    Itís just a bit of a waste. Costs a bit having it sit there considering a) we are rapidly outgrowing it and b) Iím not getting the chance to enjoy it.

I could keep it but to me it doesnít make sense either because then Iím still paying to have a 350hp car sit in the garage while I drive around in a 10 year old Skoda with the family on weekends.

Iíll go have a look at some cars I never thought Iíd buy (A4/3er/C class/etc) tomorrow and see how we go

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Have a look at E-Classes. Remember these were a ~$120k+ cars with the essentially same drivetrain as the smaller C-class.

You can buy them for pennies.

For some reason there is more demand for the C/3/A4 second hand when you're getting a lesser car.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Itís just a bit of a waste. Costs a bit having it sit there considering a) we are rapidly outgrowing it and b) Iím not getting the chance to enjoy it.
    I could keep it but to me it doesnít make sense either because then Iím still paying to have a 350hp car sit in the garage while I drive around in a 10 year old Skoda with the family on weekends.
    Iíll go have a look at some cars I never thought Iíd buy (A4/3er/C class/etc) tomorrow and see how we go
    I'm using my LSA Clubsport as a daily and the wife's CX-5 usually does weekend duty as it's just more practical for shopping centre carparks etc.

Like you with the RS i feel like the Clubby is wasted but do i really want to part it knowing i'll probably never get another one ? Nope...

I guess the biggest question is do you "really" want to get out of the RS ? They are cool as fuck... Or would a better car for the wife suffice ?
    The older i get, the better i was...

S60 Polestar. Can get a my14 for <$40k with lowish k's. Supposedly a $100k car new, 350hp and 500nm and a comfortable place to sit. Cabin is pretty spacey but downside is they made the boot fairly small to get the rear cabin space. Fuck all easy tuning options though, you can't flash them and make an extra 100hp, maybe 10-20hp on the top end, though better gains to be made in the mid range. Factory turbo is the limiting factor.

Or you can get an R-design for <$30k, almost the same power but you miss out on the ohlins and bigger brakes.
    Or you could go the V60 such as this one.
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...SSE-AD-6133905

Trade it for an XR5.
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Screaming banshee
    Break more laws driving to work.

Lots of people run car seats in the front of caymans........Live out your Porsche dreams
    There is fact. And then there is reality.

I tried that argument with the Minister for Childrenís Health and Road Safety (as if those portfolios belong together!) and they didnít want a bar of it.

Definitely quick and deceptive. Mid 5ís is the sort of acceleration we get out of our V6 too. You need to use launch control in both to get there though.

The V6 sounds better and pulls harder in most situations than the 4 pot, but by god it uses a lot of fuel.

Part of the reason we are keeping it is because itís highly unlikely we will see such a car new for sale again.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cplus View Post
    There is fact. And then there is reality.

I tried that argument with the Minister for Childrenís Health and Road Safety (as if those portfolios belong together!) and they didnít want a bar of it.
    I think you're not trying hard enough.
    Besides, if you can fit a willing adult female in the frunk of a Boxster/Cayman (and I mean without the need to break any bones etc), a child's gonna fit in there perfectly, all safe & snug & hence protected!
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Have a look at E-Classes. Remember these were a ~$120k+ cars with the essentially same drivetrain as the smaller C-class.

You can buy them for pennies.

For some reason there is more demand for the C/3/A4 second hand when you're getting a lesser car.
    So true. Bigger cars always depreciate faster. An E class is a lot nicer place to be than a C class.