This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aaron_hogan View Post
    The proliferation of cheap (new and used) performance parts, the existence of ebay and the increasing amount of web-based general automotive knowledge in the last decade has been awesome for tinkerers like myself.
    Sure is, I don't think I bought anything off Ebay for the VN. And of course we hadn't started the SC forum until after we started the project so there wasn't alot of resources online. It was all trial and error. Considering it only ran 3.45 gears, 9.6:1 compression, a super tight turbo converter and was full weight, I reckon we did well to get a 13.83 out of it.

Mind you doing 13.8s in a NA VN for $1300 might be a challenge.

Comment

I actually think the buildup article(s) were bloody good value. With respect, they delved into NA modifications (while not focussed solely on them) but more than anything they were (imo) a wake up call to a lot of people about just how hard it can be to get a full sized modern car (which can be 4-500kg heavier than a similar sized car from teh 70s) with a moderately sized NA engine to go fast, and in stark contrast, how relatively easy it is to do so simply by the addition (simply being a relative term in a specific context in this case) of forced induction.

Even back in the late 90s I was saying to people asking about making a holden 6 go quick (in a much lighter torana) that turbocharging was the go by a mile. with the way second hand bits have become more affordable, it's never been more the case.

Sure there will always be respect for anyone with the skill time perseverence and budget to make an NA engine really scream, it's an art and a science, to be sure, but for the averge bloke, it's close to insanity to pursue it.

Hey - I'm pretty sure I'm talking to the right person (apologies if not) - but whatever happened to the 0km 245 truck engine you had and were putting the big drawthrough on with assistance from Ian Sutherland? (did I get the name right - the bloke from s & m blown world)???
      John McKenzie

Science flies people to the moon.
      Religion flies people into buildings.

Comment

What articles are you guys talking about?
        10.83 @ 125

Quickest stock exhaust manifold stud 2JZ in Aus.

Originally posted by cracka
        Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by 2JZR31 View Post
          What articles are you guys talking about?
          Street Commodores "V6 Vengeance" project car.....turbohemi=blownvn....i think :O

Comment

Originally posted by xr8ute View Post
            Street Commodores "V6 Vengeance" project car.....turbohemi=blownvn....i think :O
            Anyone got scans of the articles?
            10.83 @ 125

Quickest stock exhaust manifold stud 2JZ in Aus.

Originally posted by cracka
            Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

Comment

Probably not, seeing the project ended at the start of 2005 and it ran in over 30 issues of street commodores. I think they did a separate V6 Issue after I left with most of the pertinant details.

The idea was to take a V6 and make it perform. Something that very few had managed at the time. The quickest V6 in the country when we started the project was a nitrous assisted car that ran 12.2. But the idea polarised alot of people and by the end of it we were the fifth V6 Commy in the country to go better than 12.0.

We went 13.83 naturally aspirated and 11.99 with a fairly small turbo, and the best part was the car was my daily driver for almost three years and at the end it could get 700km to a full tank of fuel (v8 tank) on the open road.

Sorry about the delay in posting. When I stumbled back on here I found I had the wrong e-mail address so I stupidly updated it and of the course the forum stopped all my access. All fixed now thanks to the speedy forum gurus.

Of course none of my V6 Vengeance past means much in this case because we spent alot more than $1300 (but alot less than everyone else who was running 11's or better at the time).

The idea of 13's for $1300 intrigues me. I'm considering my options at the moment and whether participation will cost me my manhood. But I like the idea, and my mate who I discussed it with today liked it too so he's my transport to the strip (3.5hrs away).

Got to mow the lawn at the moment, but I'll come on and discuss my plans later.

Comment

Originally posted by jmac View Post

Hey - I'm pretty sure I'm talking to the right person (apologies if not) - but whatever happened to the 0km 245 truck engine you had and were putting the big drawthrough on with assistance from Ian Sutherland? (did I get the name right - the bloke from s & m blown world)???
                Sorry dude, forgot to answer this question. Yep, same person.

I did the draw through thing first in my Centura, and then put the same engine blow through & intercooled in my Valiant wagon. Funny enough it made pretty much the same power in both set ups - 250hp at the tyres.

The blow through set-up was much nicer to drive though, but eventually I got sick of the carby heatsoak. After V6 Vengeance making 350hp at the tyres, the Valiant making 100hp less at the same boost was a bit of a let down.

If I do a turbo car again it'll be with EFI.

Comment

if your the same bloke im thinking of.. were you taking photos for another magazine at COTM last year? and paying paticular attention to brad keems turbo - charger and that other blue turbo - charger?
                  Originally posted by Rdyno
                  70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                  Originally posted by Tripper
                  Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Originally posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
                    if your the same bloke im thinking of.. were you taking photos for another magazine at COTM last year? and paying paticular attention to brad keems turbo - charger and that other blue turbo - charger?
                    Yeah, I haven't worked for Street Commodore for around six years. I work for Street Machine these days. So yes it would have been me you saw talking to Brad.

On the subject of 13s for $1300. I love the idea. I want to play, but I've just been looking at my calendar and it just doesn't seem doable. I've got something on every weekend until the end of March.

I've got the perfect car; a 196,000km EL Falcon I picked up last Sept for $100. I figure a NOS Sniper fogger (adjustable 75 to 125hp), a minispool and some headers and I'd be in the hunt with less than $1000 spent. It would make for some great tech videos for my youtube channel too. It just kills me that there's so much coming up.

You guys are to commended for coming up with such a top idea. It's so simple. The budget is low enough to be acheivable by most, the cars aren't going to need rollcages or any ANDRA mandated crap, and best of all, it sound like a hoot.

Comment

This is on boost now, has been decided un doable as you need 200rwkw to run 13s
                      Originally posted by E-Z
                      If TK told me to close my eyes and bend over, I would.

Comment

fuck those cunts over there are clever
                        Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                        And I’ve explained many times this is not just another four year election.

The outcome will determine civilisation as we know it.

Comment

V6 Vengence didn't (as far as I know) have 200rwkw and it went into the 13's NA

So I don't know what drugs those guys are smoking!

I had a Phoenix Red VN Berlina (purchased prior to V6 vengence) and it did a 14.2 NA - i loved that car. Sadly the only photos I have left of it are when it went to the scrappers - with (I just noticed) the bumpers off my in-the-build IPRA car on it *dammit*

Going away: (note: car was called 'fishfinger' as thats what was scrawled on it behind the grill and under the carpet - Holden inside joke perhaps?)
                          http://img831.imageshack.us/i/fishfinger1.jpg/

Fishfingers old motor in the 'neet' wagon (VR):
                          http://img837.imageshack.us/i/fishfingeroldmotor.jpg/

*Back on topic: looks like 2JZR31 is going to be the first contender to try to get into the 13's for this challenge......
                          Originally posted by lickmyleftone
                          But by all means drink a litre of rum, double bag the old fella and grunt one up it. If that floats ya boat.

Comment

I think I have the old articles somewhere in piles of old mags if you really wanted them.

Comment

Originally posted by neet_wagon View Post
                              V6 Vengence didn't (as far as I know) have 200rwkw and it went into the 13's NA

So I don't know what drugs those guys are smoking!

I had a Phoenix Red VN Berlina (purchased prior to V6 vengence) and it did a 14.2 NA - i loved that car. Sadly the only photos I have left of it are when it went to the scrappers - with (I just noticed) the bumpers off my in-the-build IPRA car on it *dammit*

Going away: (note: car was called 'fishfinger' as thats what was scrawled on it behind the grill and under the carpet - Holden inside joke perhaps?)
                              http://img831.imageshack.us/i/fishfinger1.jpg/

Fishfingers old motor in the 'neet' wagon (VR):
                              http://img837.imageshack.us/i/fishfingeroldmotor.jpg/

*Back on topic: looks like 2JZR31 is going to be the first contender to try to get into the 13's for this challenge......
                              Yep, and the VN wasn't really lightened or anything, not to the extent the ren VN is anyway. LOL

When I ran 13.83 I think the VN was pushing about 185rwhp. when I ran 12.8 on 225 street tyres with 7psi and no cooler it made 270rwhp.

Then it ran 11.99 with 323rwhp using an internal gate std bearing t04 hybrid*, and when that turbo died we got a GT30R internal gate turbo and made 350rwhp and ran 12.0 on nittos.

By then I'd left SC and I was given the wind up signal by the power-that-be. I would have like to have kept pushing it but then I moved down here (southern NSW) and it wasn't really feasible any more. Eventually I took it to Wilby and the sprag let go in the trans when I hit second gear - still won the race though. Then I parted it out. I've still got the car in the shed, but if I use that for 13s for 1300 people will call shenanigans.

For those unfamilar with the car, watch this.

*Model - XTRT4E-PSB-100
                              Compressor Spec - T04E 57 Trim, 0.60a/r cover
                              Centre Section - Oil Cooled
                              Turbine Spec - P Trim T04, 76Trim, 1.00a/r split pulse T3 Flange

Comment

Hahahaha "Nang nang nang nang"
                                That's the stuff :D

If you work for street machine maybe it's worth doing an article on the 13's for 1300 projects.
                                Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                                my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Working...
                                X