X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aaron_hogan
    replied
    Okey dokey, With the block pulled to bits and a rummage through my viking hoard of mazda stuff I cobbled together all necessary series 5 turbo bits in serviceable condition. Both rotor housings are excellent and the block will hold good comp as a result. Marty helped out with a spare series 5 rotor. One is a "C" weight and the other is a "D". Weighed the pair of them with bearings still in and there is 14g the difference (4330g/4344g). You can go up/down a letter in range but its always best to try to get the weights as close as possible. Located another rotor with only 8g difference so might swap it if its in good condition. These rotors are almost too good to use in a budget build and after taking a bit of a look at what I was working with I'm now tempted to drop a bit of money on this block.

Just spent Easter weekend building an RX4 sedan to flog off. Need to sell it to fund my Euro/Sth America trip and anything left over will go into this motor.

Leave a comment:

• jimmyg
    replied
    Originally posted by aaron_hogan View Post
    Beers - I am trying my hardest to lay off the beers. Its the achilles heel of my fitness. But should definitely have a catch up. Easter is possible.
    If memory serves our last meet was very tame. A snifter of port after meal and home to bed by sunrise. I see little reason to think a PF drinks night could ever get out of hand.

Leave a comment:

• rx213b
    replied
    pickup with s4 rotors is fine in a light car.......traction is the bigger issue

Leave a comment:

• aaron_hogan
    replied
    Difference is in the comp ratio of the rotors. I'm putting series 5 turbo rotors back into it.

Leave a comment:

• MRMOPARMAN
    replied
    great to see your back into it. I would also be up for lots of pics of rotor build.

also, being a complete rotor noob, what the difference between the rotors, plates etc that this motor was made from?

say, what do those nikki carbs flow? can they be modded for performance work? how would they compare to a similar flowing holley (for comparisons sake)

Leave a comment:

• Paddington
    replied
    Beers - I am trying my hardest to lay off the beers. Its the achilles heel of my fitness. But should definitely have a catch up. Easter is possible.
    got to 10.1 on beep test this morning. I forgot that this motor came out of that crashed RX-7.
    I still have to go up bush to get those RX-7 bits that got left behind.

Leave a comment:

• aaron_hogan
    replied
    Actuator - nope but I can ask Jed next time I dare drive up to Reserve War (Reservoir).

Selectmaz - I don't want to be too hard on them. There's a tendency to blame the last shop/person that touched something. Who knows what the customer ordered/paid for or turned up with to use. Remember that smashed RX7 had this motor running a stock Nikki carb and was in front of a 4spd auto. I don't think performance was in mind. Just as well I made plenty of coin out of that wreck.

Leave a comment:

• aaron_hogan
    replied
    A detailed step-by-step would take a thread of its own. Building a rotor is simple at first glance but where it takes time is, as with any engine build, in cleaning everything meticulously and getting all the clearances spot on. Plenty of backyarders just throw shit together without much care being given. Once you have all the seals assembled into the rotors you can have the block together rather quickly. I can snap a few pics as I go but I am much more interested in getting it together. Also, there are a few rotor-specific tools in my arsenal that make the job go a bit easier - probably more value in demonstrating their use. There are quite a few short-cuts with this build because A. Its not completely fucked. And B. Its a very budget conscious build. So you probably wont see stat gear and rotor bearings being pressed in/out.

I'm unsure if I should port this motor or not. Curious to see what it will do as a stocky. Leaving it stock may also provide the motivation to pull it apart later and do it properly.

Leave a comment:

• Paddington
    replied
    The engine was a Selectmaz job. It had a few hallmarks of their typical handywork. <snip> the rotating assembly was <wait for it> pure RX5.
    numpties. wonder if the owner who paid for that combo knew. Knowing Selectmaz, probably not.

Originally posted by rx213b View Post
    hey hoges, you don't happen to have a s4 turbo actuator by chance that's spare do you?
    My one is a bit lazy to come on boost, figure it's a fucked diaphragm...wouldn't mind if it came on boost a bit harder.....now it just feels supercharged
    bigger turbo would fix this.

Leave a comment:

• Dogsballs
    replied
    +1

easter drinks?!

Leave a comment:

• jimmyg
    replied
    Top news. Good to see your still at it.

Have to get back down your way for a beer at some point soon to.

Leave a comment:

• rx213b
    replied
    hey hoges, you don't happen to have a s4 turbo actuator by chance that's spare do you?
    My one is a bit lazy to come on boost, figure it's a fucked diaphragm...wouldn't mind if it came on boost a bit harder.....now it just feels supercharged

Leave a comment:

• ls400x
    replied
    me to

Leave a comment:

• da9jeff
    replied
    Its bit of an ask, but could you do bit of a step by step on it? keen to see a freshen up on a rotor.

Leave a comment:

• aaron_hogan
    replied
    OK, lil update. When I pulled the block out to swap the RX5 box to the Jatco I hit a snag. The motor, which previously ran fine, was stuck. I rolled it over by hand and it just locked up. This was enough to make me crack the shits for a while and I only felt like coming back to it recently. So I just pulled the block down at my mates place yesterday.

The engine was a Selectmaz job. It had a few hallmarks of their typical handywork. However for a "turbo block" it had series 4 plates, one series 4 housing, one series 5 housing and the rotating assembly was <wait for it> pure RX5. Thankfully everything was serviceable or salvageable but I had another blown turbo block in bits to donate the correct rotors and counterweights. Needed one rotor though which thankfully Marty has laying around. Everything will be back together with a water seal kit and careful attention to clearances as we go.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X