Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13s for $1300 - Project Bluebird

Okay, from the first time I read the concept of 13s for $1300, I thought it was a winner.

It's been a while since I've built anything because I didn't want to start something I couldn't finish. As a result my garage is full of "potential" project cars.

All week (only found out about this mon/tues) I've been thinking about this. But I've also been thinking about the consequences of angering she-who-must-be-obeyed (SWMBO). With a heavy schedule over next couple months I'm already in the bad books and to top it off I've got to go away for 5 weeks leaving the wife at home with the hellspawn.

So I'd pretty much talked myself out of it. I even asked my mate yesterday if I should do it and Mick being the man of few words that he is, just gave me the look. And the look said yes. Having Mick on board crossed one bridge, because he's got a tow car and decent trailer. Something you need when the nearest quarter mile drag strip is over 3.5hrs away.

Then I looked at the work/shooting schedule again (I do competition pistol shooting too). Five consecutive weekends away followed by five full weeks away from home. I thought, "my wife is never going to go for this", and that's when I wrote the other post saying I couldn't come out to play.

http://performanceforums.com/forums/...&postcount=819

So I finally gathered up my courage and sat the missus down for a chat and explained the work schedule. Some things weren't carved in stone so we worked through it and culled a few events, then I broke the news of 13s for $1300.

She took it well... much better than expected actually.

Then I talked to the office about the idea and that kind of cemented the deal. With them involved I can't back out (even though they're not paying for anything).

So I'm in, if you'll have me.

Project Bluebird is a '98 EL Falcon I picked up last September for $100. which you can verify through threads I posted here & here when I bought the car.

The idea has been from day one to turn it into a salt lake car, but I've been busy as a one-legged bum kicker at an arse kicking competition during the last five months and the car hasn't had a spanner laid on it yet. This competition/challenge is the motivation I need to get started and nothing I do here will affect the car's ability to run on the salt later on.

The car ran out of rego one week after I bought it but I managed to do a G-tech run on it and it ran 16.27 at 90.5mph. My wife and I both have similar Falcons. I've got a '94 EF and she's got a '98 EL and this thing will run rings around both of them. Probably because it's only got 195,000kms on the clock.

I can hear the bullshit meters tingling already. Who sells a registered 195,000km EL Falcon for $100? Someone stupid enough to listen to their mechanic, that's who!

The sister of one of the SM guys was concerned about the water loss in her Falcon. The mechanic automatically diagnosed it as a head gasket given that's a common ailment for these cars. Not wanting to spend any money of the car they chucked some stop leak in it and asked wreckers what they could sell it for. Everyone told them $100, and my mate in the office says, "I know someone who will give you $100 for it".

To be honest I just expected a parts car. We've got two Falcons, so it would be silly to knock back a $100 parts car. So I caught the train to Sydney and picked it up in the dark. When I walked out in the morning and looked at it i couldn't believe I only paid $100 for this thing. My in-laws, who I'd stayed overnight with, were making noises about taking it off my hands. But no, I loaded up some spare water, checked the fluids and drove it home 450km and it didn't miss a beat. No water leaks, no chuffing like a train, not even any movement on the heat guage above what's normal for these cars. On closer inspection I discovered evidence of a small leak from the pipe under the thermostat housing. I think that's where the water was coming from, and the mechanic just thought he had another headjob to do.

So here's what the car looked like when I got it home.

Very unexciting under the bonnet, but it fries one wheel when you stand on it. Our other falcons go, "WTF are you doing?" If you give them a foot full.

One of the other reasons it was so cheap, the rust hole isn't evident when the boot is closed.

The interior is quite tidy, it'll be a shame to rip it out really.

Chrome hubcaps are extreme gay, and the 4x4 stance isn't very cool, but beggars can't be chosers.

Okay now, the plan is simple. Because I'm starting late I don't have a bunch of time and I've still got a pretty hectic work schedule.
    I do have an old T04 Rajay in the shed doing nothing and I know that'll make 250rwhp on a 4-litre at around 11psi. That would piss in 13s - no question.

But I've done turbo sixes before, no mysteries there. But I've never done a nitrous EFI car before. In fact my only go at nitrous before (about 17 years ago) was an unmitigated disaster. I want another crack at it.

So I figure an ebay nitrous kit, one of the NOS Sniper EFI foggers will be the go. Throw in some headers (secondhand if I can find some) and a minispool to help traction and I reckon we'll give it a good crack. Even if I have to buy new headers the budget will be under $1000. A mate has already offered me a loan of some McReary street tyres as well.

Of course nothing is carved in stone. After all that T04 would be very easy to fit as well. I'll have a look at it tomorrow and price it up, and see what else pops in my head.

Thoughts? Crtitisms? Death Threats?

love it, and that was a fucken bargain!
    Originally posted by Mr Jones
    Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

Comment

tl;dr

I came here expecting pics of CA18s with S400s?

Comment

Originally posted by <---cop View Post
        tl;dr

I came here expecting pics of CA18s with S400s?
        That made me laugh. I already christened the thing months ago. Might as well keep the name.

Comment

Something like this is the best option if time is an issue
          I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Comment

Originally posted by ALLMTR View Post
            Something like this is the best option if time is an issue
            How's the truck going?

Comment

eastern creek or heathcote? should do the job easily
              E36 M3 12.92 @ 108.64mph, N/A 3.0L

Comment

This is fucking cool. The fact that you have a pair in the family already just makes so much sense. At worst I can see are an interesting read coming along. If you can get G tech times as you go along with stripping it, going the turbo, then the spray I think it would be interesting to compare the times and progress. Hopefully a wet nitrous system will be a totlly safe proposition. Three thumbs up! (I probably should buy some SM's again... )
                Fortitudo et Superbiam

Comment

100 bux damn!! Not even an ex taxi!!
                  Originally posted by The Property Guru
                  don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
                  Originally posted by oxy
                  No, that's asians
                  A80 Supra
                  80 Landcruiser

Comment

Goddamn that's cheap. Hahahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                      This is fucking cool. The fact that you have a pair in the family already just makes so much sense. At worst I can see are an interesting read coming along. If you can get G tech times as you go along with stripping it, going the turbo, then the spray I think it would be interesting to compare the times and progress. Hopefully a wet nitrous system will be a totlly safe proposition. Three thumbs up! (I probably should buy some SM's again... )

The car's no longer registered so progressive G-tech times are out, but you're right it would have been good to do. I live out in the bush and could probably get away with it but alot of guys have thought the same way around here in the past and the cops here are mostly highway patrol, and as such are unforgiving pricks.

Yep, a wet fogger is the plan. If I could squeeze in wet fogger and turbo that would be awesome but... the engine life expectancy would be interesting.

Look out for my youtube videos that I'll be doing (if it stops raining I'll start tomorrow). I'm going to cronicle the whole thing (such as it is) because I think it'll be a cool thing to share with the WWW.

Comment

Originally posted by MR-PUNANNY View Post
                        100 bux damn!! Not even an ex taxi!!
                        cmon mate, its a $100 falcon.. ya cant have everything
                        Originally posted by Rdyno
                        70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                        Originally posted by Tripper
                        Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Originally posted by turbohemi View Post
                          Yep, a wet fogger is the plan. If I could squeeze in wet fogger and turbo that would be awesome but... the engine life expectancy would be interesting.
                          engine life expectancy is a moot point. if it blows, you can find new motors lying in paddocks these days(see allmtr thread for proof), so n2o the shit out of it!
                          Originally posted by Rdyno
                          70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                          Originally posted by Tripper
                          Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Originally posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
                            engine life expectancy is a moot point. if it blows, you can find new motors lying in paddocks these days(see allmtr thread for proof), so n2o the shit out of it!

Actually after seeing what the Mike's Dyno guys did with theirs (Their EA ran 10's on a stock bottom end) i reckon the auto will go first.

Comment

Okay, so I'm sitting here baby sitting while waiting for the missus to come back from a garage sale. It's not raining so I'm hanging to get out to the shed, but while I've got to be inside I'm doing some planning.

A few questions for the brains trust.

Do I have to run a full exhaust?
                              Are McCreary Street tyres going to get me in trouble?
                              Is nitrous filling cost part of the budget?

Comment

Working...
                              X