Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWD: 13s for $1300 Project Spray and Pray N13

Ok, here's my chosen chariot- the mighty powerhouse that is the N13 Pulsar with the 1.6L 16LE engine, featuring the wonders of throttle body injection utilising a single low pressure injector!

It was my daily until I purchased another Silvia to replace it. The rego was about to expire when this contest was announced, so I re-registered it instead of trying to flog it off. As it wasn't purchased for this competition I'll need a referee's decision on the base cost.

I started out by stripping out most of the interior. Yes, that is a brand new spare tyre that has never seen road.

After stripping out the head unit and stereo gear I hooked up a tacho I've had sitting around for ages. From memory it cost me $50 from 999 Automotive. This will serve 2 purposes, only one of which will include flashing me when it's time to change gears. More on that later.

I was originally planning on getting the head shaved for more compression and running it on E85 and seeing how far that got me, but the sheer amount of effort involved put me off. Remember, the EFI on these things is pretty primitive. Then I thought of using the old T25 off my CA and converting the engine to use the CA ECU, injectors etc. Did some quick sums and realised that wasn't happening with my budget.

Hmm... what to do?

Yep.. NOS time!

Yes, I said NOS! It's a NOS Sniper Kit. $435 plus delivery. I decided to blow most of my budget on a new kit for of peace of mind.

It seemed like the logical answer- no need to tune the ECU, upgrade injectors etc. I went for the 75-125HP V8 kit (it appears to include jets for the smaller kit as well- 35, 50HP). I was pleasantly surprised by how small the solenoids and stuff actually are. The only downside of the kit is that it is illegal to have it installed on the street. I plan to make it quick and easy to install and remove.

As the N13 has a low pressure fuel system I'm going to add a small fuel cell and VL fuel pump (it was a freebie!) for the fuel side of the NOS system. Think 5L plastic fuel can with a couple of fittings installed and the VL pump mounted under it for gravity feed. I could jet the kit for the lower fuel pressure but I figure it is safer to just run a new system for it. I have a fuel reg off an NA CA in my spare parts box that I will use to regulate the fuel pressure. I just need to make up an adapter to attach it to the fuel hose. I may be able to get away with a smaller tank and mount it under a fender. Depends how much fuel it will use per run. Surely 2L would be heaps?

I plan to piggyback a relay off the shift light to deactivate the kit about 5500 rpm. I'm trying to find a cheap window switch or self contained shift light to turn the kit on once I hit 3000rpm. I figure that should let me get rolling then give me a BIG push. I'll get it on the dyno to check out AFRs etc before I run it as I'll be disappointed if it doesn't survive at least a few runs down the quarter.

I have a couple of other ideas up my sleeves. I plan to pick up some dry ice and remove the sound deadening. I've also been thinking about the suspension and I think I've worked out a cheap upgrade for the rear springs. I'm not sure which wheels I will use yet. My Silvia has multi-stud rims with KU36s on the back but I haven't checked fitment yet. I have a set of stock rims with 2 pretty new tyres that I might use on the back with them, but that will probably look shite. The tyres on the 17s are only about 6 months old so maybe I'll just run them.

Basically, my plan boils down to
    • Lighten the hell out of it.
    • Stiffen up the rear to reduce weight transfer.
    • Give it a big hit of NOS and hope it stays together for a few passes.

Cheers for reading!

If anyone has a set of stock N15 front springs sitting around that they can donate/sell to me please PM. Other stuff that would be handy is a Barina throttle body hat and 1.8L top end and ECU- head, inlet manifold etc..

edit- fixed price

Very cool. Those NOS kits have come down in price. Mine cost me $480 + post

Comment

oops, typo.. $435 plus freight. Best price I could find on eBay.

Comment

For sake of budget you can get the nos sniper kit for $390+ freight from rocket/vpw if you ask the right people. Cheap bangs for not many bucks.
        2JZ KE20 Corolla 7.97 @ 178
        SR20DET Gemini 8.70 @ 157
        1UZFET KE20 Corolla 9.60 @ 140
        -------------------------
        http://www.oke020.com

7.xx is no longer a challenge (sort of)

http://www.clevelandexhaust.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by patrick_h_oz View Post
          Other stuff that would be handy is a Barina throttle body hat and 1.8L top end and ECU- head, inlet manifold etc..

edit- fixed price
          Have all of the N13 top end gear spare, will have to do a closer invoicing of what's in the shed though as it's been awhile. Though I do know I have a turbo manifold and TD04L to suit one of these in there.
          | 1988 HR31 Skyline GTS-X |

Comment

I'd try to flog the pulsar for 800- 1000. So we'll call it 500? LOL
            BA GT
            13s for $1300 TE Cortina wagon! Thermighty!!

Comment

These are camira motors yeah?
              2.0 camira motor and ecu and a delco tune should cost fuck all. Perfect for the turbo.
              Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
              my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

same motor but different bellhousing bolt pattern.
                Originally posted by Mr Jones
                Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

Comment

How much NOS, those 1.6l pulstarts are farrrrking slow, high 18 or worse maybe.

Comment

needs a $500 CA18DET conversion

they are ridiculously slow in standard form!

I am a Spinal and Sports Physio based in Flemington, Melbourne. Insane discounts for PF members!

www.showgroundsphysio.com.au

I also retail do high-level professional road bike fitting and retail Speedplay pedals and SMP seats - cheapest you'll find them anywhere.

www.neillsbikefit.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by stockymcstock View Post
                      needs a $500 CA18DET conversion

they are ridiculously slow in standard form!
                      Where can I get one of these

Comment

I think you should go the turbo path. Just do rpm switch and extra injector. Good base though. It is what I would have chosen
                        Originally posted by Babalouie
                        Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

Fuck the 16LF top end off as it's the shitest induction setup ever made. The 18LE head, camshaft and inlet manifold is a massive improvement. The leaded JD Camira in MPFI-guise is the best head of the lot with the largest ports; however it's getting hard to find and this variant used bosch D-Jetro hose-tail injectors unlike the Delco stuff, so more stuffing around in getting everything to work. VN/VP Commodore throttle body is a good mod if you can make up an adaptor plate to bolt it to the 18LE or JD Camira plenum.

That being said the GM family II motors for what they are, are pretty damn bulletproof. Keep the revs sensible and they'll live a long life. Factory 18LE bottom-end isn't shy about boost either
                          | 1988 HR31 Skyline GTS-X |

Comment

Originally posted by WildZero View Post
                            Fuck the 16LF top end off as it's the shitest induction setup ever made. The 18LE head, camshaft and inlet manifold is a massive improvement. The leaded JD Camira in MPFI-guise is the best head of the lot with the largest ports; however it's getting hard to find and this variant used bosch D-Jetro hose-tail injectors unlike the Delco stuff, so more stuffing around in getting everything to work. VN/VP Commodore throttle body is a good mod if you can make up an adaptor plate to bolt it to the 18LE or JD Camira plenum.

That being said the GM family II motors for what they are, are pretty damn bulletproof. Keep the revs sensible and they'll live a long life. Factory 18LE bottom-end isn't shy about boost either
                            Agreed about the 1.6 top end being crap, hence my search for a cheap (or free )1.8 top end. Apparently the 1.8 head has bigger valves and smaller combustion chambers, plus adding MPFI can only be an improvement.

I seriously considered turboing it, but after weeks searching around ebay, boost, etc for 1.8 top ends I gave up on that idea, plus I wanted to have a play with nitrous on a disposable engine before fitting it to one of my CAs.

I don't plan on revving it past 6000rpm. Once I have had it on the dyno I'll have a better idea of where the torque drops off.

The NOS kit has jets up to 125hp.. but I'm hoping not to have to go that far. I'll start with a 50 shot and go from there.

Comment

Palcon make an adjustable rpm switch you could use to arm/disarm the nitrous. If you wanted to go super flash NOS make a controller which has a window switch and progressive controller so you can feed the gas in over a time period do its not as harsh on the motor. I think they're about $250 though. Push button on the steering wheel would be cheaper :D

Either way run a full throttle switch and a clutch switch for less chance of kabooms
                              Originally posted by RVK 355
                              Hold it flat cunt

Comment

Working...
                              X