13's for 1300 Maverick-The Space Ghost

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder head came back from the shop friday. Casting ear at the rearmost cylinder was broken clean off, valve guides are cut undersize so the seals don't fit, and the valve job has seat heights uneven.

Crap.

Comment

nothing worse than giving some shitcunt your hard earned to get a bad job. is the broken casting ear a deal breaker?
      Originally posted by Skompa
      The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

Comment

Nothing is truly ever broken when you own a welder.

Somethings might be better if you didn't, but this is not one of them. I'll braze the ear back on, so it'll have one bronze ear on the iron head, but it'll stay put and be hard enough to work out fine, I think. Just shopping around for a used cylinder head, 500-1000$ depending on what part of the country you are in.

So, yeah, it'll get fixed, but it's work I'd rather not have had to do.

Comment

Bugger

Comment

10's for under 5..

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp...Er8yZZX6RIGIGA

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Originally posted by Gin Kii View Post
              Mike knows that the Ford 300 (like most straight-sixes, regardless of make) uses a 120-degree crank design. That means the crank rotates a full 120 degrees between cylinder firing impulses. By contrast, most typical V8 engines send a piston down the hole every 90 degrees. On the negative side, that means the six's crank must rotate a full 120 degrees before there is another power stroke. But on the positive side, each power stroke has 30 degrees of extra time to put energy (i.e., torque) into the crankshaft. That's why straight-sixes generally deliver more low-end torque than comparably sized V8s—all other factors being equal.
              what the fuck am I reading

Comment

Yeah that is baked.

Comment

That's the plan for the OTHER maverick. spend 10K to do 8's.

Comment

Originally posted by Xnke View Post
                    That's the plan for the OTHER maverick. spend 10K to do 8's.
                    yeah thats just not going to happen mate.

Comment

Hide and watch me. I've only been working on it since 2016 and still don't have a rear axle, transmission, or engine in it. And in the years since I started, the glass is missing, it has no wheels, no brakes, no axle, no hood, and no seats.

Comment

Originally posted by tim510 View Post
                        yeah thats just not going to happen mate.
                        What that means in Xnke's head

Click image for larger version

Name:	raw.gif
Views:	158
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	7104847

Comment

Something like that. One car at a time, though.

Comment

Just about got the head repaired and couldn't resist doing a little portwork. There isn't much to show, just taking out casting ridges and a little brazing work to fix the broken off ear.

Ernest is fighting with the main bearings, apparently he's unable to get the crank to fit the new bearings. I've recommended a set of measuring tools...we'll see how it goes. Once it's assembled to satisfaction, we'll finish reassembly and get it running on the OEM carburetor, then the turbo setup will go on after the new cam and bearings are broken in.

One of these days I'll get around to finishing my new truck transmission-one more linkage bar and it's ready to fill and bolt up. Then, supercharged datsun, supercharged truck, and turbocharged maverick 1.

Comment

Working...
                            X