Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

99 Ti Patrol - Duramax/Allison conversion.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

99 Ti Patrol - Duramax/Allison conversion.

Bought this with a view to changing engine. Was originally looking at Cummins but a mate pulled the pin on his Duramax conversion so I stole his engine and box.

The Robot and I pulled body off and engine/box out on weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377552248.462145.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	6627153

Dmax and Allison

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377552276.218027.jpg
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	6627154

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377552317.998662.jpg
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	6627155

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377552359.573078.jpg
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	6627156

Tb45 and Nissan auto. Auto is going into mates patrol behind td42.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377552382.991639.jpg
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	6627157

Plan is twin gtx2860's with large waic where original turbo was.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Originally posted by bigmuz
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Looks like afternoon sun in those shots, so I know Face did most of that work. Good job Face.
    Pest Control - Brisbane, Gold Coast, Ipswich and South West QLD PF discounts apply.

Comment

Subscribed

Comment

You're fucked up. I like it.
        Originally posted by S
        I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

Comment

1000rwhp and 2000ft-lb your goal?
          Just watched the 2013 diesel power challenge on you tube and the numbers guys are getting out of these things, and especially the Cummins, are insane. Although no one says much about their setups, or how much nitrous they use to achieve it. There's something rather cool about watching a Duramax crew cab dually smoking the tyres while towing 4500kg.
          In something that weighs nearly half as much it will be surprisingly rapid.

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
            1000rwhp and 2000ft-lb your goal?
            Just watched the 2013 diesel power challenge on you tube and the numbers guys are getting out of these things, and especially the Cummins, are insane. Although no one says much about their setups, or how much nitrous they use to achieve it. There's something rather cool about watching a Duramax crew cab dually smoking the tyres while towing 4500kg.
            In something that weighs nearly half as much it will be surprisingly rapid.
            What kind of gearbox/diff can take that much torque?
            Mack?

Comment

Dune Buggy - in
              Originally posted by thebluerx7
              The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Originally posted by Billzilla View Post
                What kind of gearbox/diff can take that much torque?
                Mack?
                The OE autos can be built to do it, so Allison autos in the case of the Duramax, can't remember what the Dodge uses. Manual transmissions have no hope, they're torque limited in OE form.
                Diffs tend to be Dana 60 or larger, minimum 10.5" crown wheel. And even then the driveline is considered "temporary"! Drive shafts can be interesting as well, heavy wall chrome moly 4" tubes aren't uncommon. Have even seen some mudders running 2" SOLID bar stock with truck uni joints!
                You also have to remember that these things weigh nearly 3 tonnes and in some cases can have a GCM of 15 tonnes!

Comment

The OE autos can be built to do it, so Allison autos in the case of the Duramax, can't remember what the Dodge uses. Manual transmissions have no hope, they're torque limited in OE form.
                  Diffs tend to be Dana 60 or larger, minimum 10.5" crown wheel. And even then the driveline is considered "temporary"! Drive shafts can be interesting as well, heavy wall chrome moly 4" tubes aren't uncommon. Have even seen some mudders running 2" SOLID bar stock with truck uni joints!
                  You also have to remember that these things weigh nearly 3 tonnes and in some cases can have a GCM of 15 tonnes!
                  Thanks!
                  Sounds like they need Prius tyres to allow some slip ...

Comment

Originally posted by Billzilla View Post
                    Thanks!
                    Sounds like they need Prius tyres to allow some slip ...
                    HD truck tyres-Prius tyres=same-same

2000ft-lb torque doesn't seem have an issue regardless.

Comment

Not after anything stupid, just 400hp will do. Don't want to spend money on Allison rebuilds or engine mods.

You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

Why the change of turbo if 400hp will do?

Projects:
                        '90 2jz-gte 929
                        '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Comment

Because I don't like the turbo in the middle of engine. It makes for compromises in engine positioning.

Comment

RAM 3500 uses a Aisin AS68RC 6 speed

Comment

I don't know why more people don't do this, cannot understand why people froth over td42t's, I've got one and it along with its fucked up gearbox ratio's are nothing to write home about. Hill starts with a few tons on the back are either a governor bash clutch frying affair or a low range start.... awesome in traffic with hills.

As for them being good for 500,000km+......... yeah just like every other half decent truck motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X