Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to Get ... The Defender is getting old.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to Get ... The Defender is getting old.

So,

Currently have a 2001 TD5 Defender, love it, love it goes most places, love it does it with ease .. and no care given to rocks, logs etc, 2" lift, 2" body, winch bar, and AT's .. it does what it was made for well.

BUT ..

NoPix refuses to drive it, (she is 5.2)
    I am getting older, and tinnitus has kicked in, I blame the 5th gear @ 3k RPM at 110kmh
    New job, comes with a car allowance.
    She has 250,000 kms, and only cost me a fuel pump and a clutch (that was to try to lighten it up for NoPix)

So, lets put a figure of 65k out there, EASILY fits in the car allowance in a lease, and saves money for dropping into the 2 mortgages and happy days.

My Current thoughts are,

TD, 4 door is my only real requirement, I use it to carry dive gear, camera gear and go camping 4wd alot.

1. Prado GX, spend 10k on TJM and ARB this comes around 65.
    2. Wranger, Spend 10k on TJM and it will come around 58k
    3. Izu Dmax, Spend 5-6k and it will come around 56ishk

Other Outsiders are,

1. Pajaro
    2. Patrol DX (no room for mods)
    3. WorkMate 70 Series (No room for mods)

Thoughts ?

Why is there no room for mods with the patrol? Most people pay around 50k for an ST with plenty of accessories.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Comment

Hilux? .........No doubt the best vehicle money can buy in the whole entire universe.........just sayin....

Comment

Note that the Dmax has the solenoid controlled hi/lo 4/2wd (I have a Rodeo same=same).
        Good for the nopics as no confusing second gear lever, but not for the serious offroad purists.

The Holden Colorado is the same car but built in the GM factory in Thailand.
        As of this year it now has the 2.8L Duramax with 132kW and 470Nm as opposed to the Isuzu 3.0L 130kW 380Nm
        Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

Fuck getting a hilux the defender is more comfortable on and off the road ..

St patrol.. May go put my bum in one taa

Awdmoke, I am not a purist, the prado is the same I think, if it works it works , not a fan do the Colorado as a package and will go see dale I am sure he can recover some nm for me.

Comment

current model defender or disco?
            Originally posted by Rdyno
            70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
            Originally posted by Tripper
            Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

wranglers are pretty good. go anywhere, you will love the 2.8 diesel compared to the TD5.

only problems with them are:
              water leaks on the hardtops. hopefully they have sorted it by now, but there was 11ty million TSBs on how to fix it (and none of them worked) when i was there.
              the rubicon (the one with all the sway bar disconnects, better diffs etc) only come in the V6.
              not much room in the back.

they are suprisingly comfortable though.
              70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
              Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

if your missus driving it is a requirement, probably best get her to drive them all and pick

enjoy your rav4
                Originally posted by myshortyboomba
                I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Comment

Patrol Y61 ST

Comment

My mum has owned nothing but landies over he life, from county's to 3 defenders in a row, she now has a disco 4 and absolutely loves it, does everything the defender did but in comfort. The only thing that I am concerned about is in 5-7 years time when it starts to age abit things like the electronic airbag suspension could cost a motsa to fix where as the defender would just keep on chugging because it was a basic piece of kit.

They have the base 3.0 unit, I'm not sure about the 2.7 variant but they are cheaper than the 3.0 thats for sure.

Comment

Buy something shit the nopics will drive/work car and spend a couple of grand refreshing the defender to suit your old man hearing, look into a overdrive unit maybe?

Or buy a new defender while you still can.

Comment

I don't think I could get a puma defender as much as I love them, I think I am getting beyond the lack of comfort and the puma is as slow as the td5' so no improvement apart from interior.

Disco 4 is out of my price range, expensive things, and a lot to go bust in the bush, Toyo at least they have support, I could fit most things on the defender if push comes to shove.

Rav4 .. No chance.

Comment

if you struggle for space in the defender, you wont want a wrangler.

and if a puma defender isnt comfortable enough, you will HATE a 70 series.

Comment

so Hilux then?..................
                            You cant be serious about uncomfortable compared to a fucking defender can you..
                            A Currant hilux actually have cushioning, electric windows, A/C,cruise, ABS,TSC,bluetooth and a radio.........But the best thing is it fucking does what its supposed to do every day of the week.......Fuck dude Defenders arent really well regarded for there reliabilty or cheap running Costs,service or spare parts and or Availability.........Mmmmm come to think of it what are they known for????

Dont get me wrong ,I dont give a fuck which way you go and Im not hanging shit on your vehicle of choice,just your reasoning against considering a toyota....

Comment

Originally posted by MRGREATWALLMAN View Post
                              if you struggle for space in the defender, you wont want a wrangler.

and if a puma defender isnt comfortable enough, you will HATE a 70 series.
                              CRAP I meant Fix, not Fit ... hahah space is no real issue .. I hear what your saying though.

Comment

Working...
                              X