Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter tyre project progress.

Just got back from a shopping expedition with my haul ... 3 of 17 x 8 inch alloys plus 1 of 17 x 7.5 inch steel spare. All came from a crashed 2011 Dodge RAM 1500.

These wheels are identical to the ones I had on my 2005 Durango, except that the Durango had a conforming vacuum plated plastic cover over the alloy. The seller's Durango is propping up the wheels, and you can see the plastic covered version in the shot with the steel spare.

Got one more matching 17 x 8 inch alloy to get and then I can deal with the winter tyres (probably studded).
    James

Nothing says unprofessional job like wrinkles in duct tape.

Nova Scotia Lasers - LASER engraving

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 (under funded project vehicle)
    2008 Chrysler Aspen Limited (minivan on steroids - on blocks being repaired)
    2008 Dodge Durango SLT (another minivan on steroids - the daily)
    2003 Land Rover Discovery SE7 (rusted out money pit project)

Comment

Can't understand the trend for chrome clad wheels. Looks cheesy when new, looks complete crap when it starts to flake.

Comment

I don't like them either. When I got the Durango, I truly thought the chrome clad wheels were steel wheels with permanently attached plastic hubcaps. It wasn't until a few months later that I discovered that the wheels were actually alloy. Hated the look of the chrome cladding and looked at removing it, but my research indicated that the alloy faces behind the chrome cladding was only partially finished, and if the cladding was removed, the wheels really looked like crap.

The chrome cladding works better in areas where they use salt on the roads. Most unclad 5 year old alloys are seriously corroded and look pretty nasty, and 10 year old chrome clad wheels given the same amount of care look far better.
        James

Comment

Should be picking up a set of 245/70R17 studded winter tyres on the weekend. They have exactly the same rolling diameter as the 265/50R20 wheels on it at the moment, so a single 245/70R17 spare will do for both sets. With luck, I'll also be picking up a set of four 17x8J wheels from a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 on the same trip. The seller I'm negotiating with at the moment has a nice set of 4 that he replaced with an aftermarket set of 20s. They are all in reasonable condition and he wants $175 for all 4. I'll get the studded tyres fitted to the rims next week.

The set of 3 alloys (+ 1 steel spare) that I picked up a couple of weeks ago are becoming just too much of a head fuck when it comes to finding a matching 4th alloy wheel. The 17" steel rim will be used for my spare, but it seems like everybody is looking for a single wheel to replace the one they smashed on a pothole etc. Single alloy wheels of the same pattern are available, but the price people want for one is as much as I'm paying for the set of four with a different (and nicer) pattern. I figure I'll do far better selling off the three 17x8J alloys, one by one.

I've figured out why the TPMS system is having problems with the sensor in the left rear wheel. There isn't one. Somebody has removed the TPMS sensor and replaced it with a standard valve stem. Two of the 3 Dodge Ram alloy wheels I picked up have the same generation of TPMS sensor, so I'll remove those sensors, and replace them with standard valve stems before I place the Ram wheels on the market. I'll need to program the car to accept the replacement sensor, and my research into the TPMS system has convinced me that I really need to buy a TPMS programming/reset/activation tool. Been looking at the newer Autel TS408 and TS508 and the superseded TS401 and TS501.
          James

Comment

Picked up the set of studded 245/70R17 110S winter tyres yesterday. Good deal for CAD$150. The studs are pretty worn down, but I can have them re-studded. I'll look into the re-studding in late December or early January. The current non-icy roads will just wear down a new set of studs.

I've just gotten back from picking up the four wheels from a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 (couldn't get the two sellers to be available at times that would let me do both purchases in a single trip). They were not 8" width like the seller assumed, but are in fact 17x7J+25.4mm ($175 for all 4). Nothing fancy, but they'll look a lot better on the Aspen than a black steel rim.

I will get the tyres mounted on the rims during the week, and hopefully the vehicle will be ready for it's safety inspection before the end of the week. Once I complete the transfer paperwork, I'll have 10 days to get the inspection done.
            James

Comment

The studded tyres are now mounted on rims. Still got to fit them to the vehicle. Cost me $40 to get all 4 to be mounted and balanced (cash only, no receipt, no GST). Apparently I can't get them re-studded ... unless I do it myself. The tyre shops will stud brand new (never touched the road) tyres only, as the stud holes have to be scrupulously clean and undamaged to properly insert the studs.

Didn't fit TPMS sensors into these tyres ... may do that later when I learn more about the system. Everything I read indicates that TPMS systems are a license to print money. The ones that came fitted to the Aspen wheels and to a couple of the Dodge Ram wheels I picked up a month ago have alloy stems which appear to be as fragile as all fuck, and also corrode and crumble if you fit anything other than exactly the right type of plastic cap on the stem. As soon as Fiat took over Chrysler, the TPMS systems changed from the bolt in alloy stemmed 315MHz type to a rubber covered snap in metal stem 433MHz system that Fiat likes to use.
              James

Comment

Got the 17" wheels and tyres on.

There's very little clearance between the floating rear disk calipers and the wheels ... but I am able to fit a flexible 3mm thick gauge between the calipers and the rim and as the pads are virtually new, it really shouldn't be an issue. The front calipers have a lot more clearance. The shape of the rim where it's closest to the calipers means that If I have issues, fitting a set of 1/4" spacers on the rear wheels would give the calipers 1 or 2mm of additional clearance (though not as much as gently caressing the edge of each caliper with an angle grinder, but that may make a caliper core exchange for a rebuild a bit more tricky in the future). I remember that the 13" Globe RallyMaster wheels I was running on my Torana had so little clearance between the wheels and the rear calipers that you couldn't run stick on weights on the inside edge.

Nopics commented that the 17" wheels and 70 profile tyres just don't look as elegant as the 20" wheels with 50 profile tyres. Her comment was it's like seeing a woman who has taken off her high heels and put on a pair of "sensible shoes".
                James

Comment

Lol, did you ask her what she prefers to wear when walking on snow and ice?

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
                    Lol, did you ask her what she prefers to wear when walking on snow and ice?
                    Doesn't matter what she wears, she'll still complain about the snow and ice ... especially the layer of ice that builds up on the driveway and steps.

On Thursday, I paid the 10% provincial taxes plus the $13.20 fee to do the titling in Nova Scotia for a total of $512.70 (I paid the 5% federal tax portion two months ago when I bought it in Montreal). Hopefully the provincial government won't decide it's worth more than what I paid for it and send me a bill for the tax difference (they did that on the Subaru and sent me a bill for the $37.50 extra tax they considered I'd gipped them out of because the Subaru price was less than book value). Considering the book value for the Aspen is about 50% more than I paid for it, I may yet get a bill for an extra $350-$450 taxes (although the fact that I got it from a dealer and it wasn't a private sale may force them to accept the dealer price). The plates that I used first on the Subaru and then the 2005 Durango went on, and they don't expire until April 2018.

Temps dropped down into the negatives over the weekend, was some light snow fall in other parts of Nova Scotia, but none in our area. Even so, I was glad to have the snow tyres fitted just in case. I suspect there'll be a lot of people rushing to get their snow tyres fitted this week (most of them don't have the tyres already mounted on a second set of rims, and just get the summer tyres removed from their rims and their winters fitted). With the studded winters fitted, I'm expecting a serious increase in the rate that the Aspen slurps fuel. Fill-up on Saturday returned a calculated consumption of 13.89 lit/100km (up from a previous of 12.84 lit/100), but as the snow tyres were on for just 20% of that tank, I didn't think I can fully blame them for all of the increased consumption. Considering the EPA consumption figure for highway driving is 12.38 lit/100, and much of the last tank full was on "back country" roads and a bit of in town driving, I'm quite happy with a figure of 13.89/100.

Next weekend, I'll unbolt the front "chin spoiler" and put it away for the winter. If I don't, nopics will smash it off driving through snow banks when the first heavy snowfall arrives.
                    James

Comment

Tomorrow the Aspen is booked in for its first two yearly vehicle inspection in Nova Scotia. We'll see how it goes.

First snow fall of the season this morning, although it was less traditional snow than ice pellets (think lots of very tiny hail stones that look and feel like someone's run styrofoam through a blender). Nopics has taken the Aspen to work today (studded snow tyres and AWD are the preferred features when the snow falls or there's any chance of ice on the roads). Nopics has also decided that she wants something like the Aspen for herself ... AWD, same sort of trim and features, but just a bit smaller and more economical. while her 2002 Saturn is extremely economical (around 6litres/100km), it's also so light that it gets badly blown around in the wind, and a couple of sections of highway that she must use to get to work, scare the crap out of her if the weather isn't good.

She's had Dodges or Chryslers for years and liked them. The Disco was a departure from her long term Dodge/Chrysler ownership, and it proved frustrating in its "unreliability" and cost of parts, so while she still wants me to get the Disco back on the road for her to use "occasionally", she's now looking for another Dodge/Chrysler product to use as a daily driver. Last night the decision was made, and we are now starting the hunt for a 2007-2008 AWD Chrysler Pacifica with AWD and in either Touring or Limited trim levels.

The Pacifica model was the first joint DaimlerChrysler design, and the model was extremely mishandled and badly marketed. As a result, DaimlerChrysler lost money on every one they sold. The production run lasted from MY2004 to part way through MY2008, and of those the 2007/2008 models are the pick of the bunch having received a new 4.0L SOHC V6 coupled to a new 6-speed auto. The CUV Pacifica bears no similarity other than the name to the latest Chrysler Pacifica mini-van released for MY2017.
                      James

Comment

You have to wonder wtf was going on at D-C at times. It's pretty amusing that they discontinue the AWD minivan mid 2004, partly due to the stow-n-go seating needing a different floorpan, and partly due to claims of poor sales. Then they release an AWD crossover which fails and is discontinued in 2008, only to release a totally different awd crossover a year later, the Journey.

Comment

DaimlerChrysler had two vehicles in the same crossover class at the same time, with both being an attempt to answer a perceived but apparently non-existent need ... the Chrysler Pacifica built on a modified FWD minivan platform and the Mercedes-Benz R-Class built on the W251 chassis. Both vehicles looked extremely similar and tried to be too many things at once. Nobody bought them and in the end, both were flops.
                          James

Comment

Looks like Winter has arrived. We've had the odd light dusting of snow over the past 2 weeks (I think this morning was only the third time since I've had the Aspen that I had to clear snow off so I could see), but it started in earnest last night, and while the snow fall hasn't been particularly heavy and it's not really all that cold here, the forecast for the coming week is just about continuous snow and/or rain.

Here's the Aspen in the car park at work about 2PM today.

James

Comment

The beast is certainly returning a far better fuel consumption figure than the Durango ever did ... same size and power engine, transmission, tyre size, and axle ratios. It's just the later Hemi's ability to go into V4 mode on light throttle that's improved the economy. The above is the result of about 60 km of me driving and 120 km of nopics driving. I can keep the economy at around 12.0-13.0litres/100km when I am trying to conserve fuel, but nopics drives the Aspen harder than I do and even when she's trying to be economical, she just can't manage to maintain a nice even throttle.

I suspect the Aspen's aerodynamics need to be looked at.

This is the result after nopics drove it home from the supermarket on Thursday morning (about 55km), plus a little bit of light snow fall after she arrived. The snow covering on the license plate slid off, and we did a bit of cleaning around the bumper/bottom or rear door so we could open it to get groceries out.

All the 2nd generation Durango owners I've talked to say that they can never keep the rear glass clear of either dust, spray, or snow, and in any inclement weather, the rear wiper is always needed. I found the same with my Durango although it was more of a problem because the rear wiper broke a couple of weeks after I got it, and every time I tried to order a replacement wiper arm, nopics needed the $80+ I had budgeted for it to use for something else. There was an optional rear "dust deflector" available as a dealer fitted accessory, but they are long since discontinued (and look hideous).
                              James

Comment

That's not bad economy, my Grand Voyager tended to average closer to 16l/100km on my commute. Or about 9 more than my Citroen does on the exact same commute.
                                And talking about the minivans, alot of people found having the rear vent windows open reduced the amount of crud that built up on the rear window. I can only assume they acted as a wind deflector of sorts, iirc the factory rear spoiler didn't do a thing.
                                Shame the Aspen lacks the opening rear quater windows.

Comment

Working...
                                X