Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off road Teardrop

Got sick of sweating my ring out in a swag so thought I would buy a little teardrop camper that has aircon
    and see if I can make it survive the camping that I do.

Picked it up yesterday and towed it 300km home, it is so light that it made no difference to the wrangler. It
    is supposed to weigh 355kg and I think that would be pretty close.

Plan is to staple it to a stronger chassis with real suspension, add a water tank etc and then go camping in A/C luxury.

Hopefully it works out so I can use it for work bush trips as well.
    Attached Files

Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Babalouie
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

Awesome. Keen to see how this pans out.

Comment

Now you can find gold in luxury nice work.

Comment

How does the A/C run without mains 240v? or do you need to run a geni all night?

Comment

Originally posted by psi999 View Post
            How does the A/C run without mains 240v? or do you need to run a geni all night?
            Yeah mate need a 2kva or bigger generator

Comment

Wrangler and Grand are solid car choices.
              Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post
                Wrangler and Grand are solid car choices.
                I am forced to drive a landcruiser for work so I want my personal cars to be nice/fun/interesting to drive.

Comment

Mate this is cool. What's it worth approx?
                  Originally posted by thebluerx7
                  The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Originally posted by I'm DJ! View Post
                    Mate this is cool. What's it worth approx?
                    They are about $9500 new with no extras, the original owner payed $15000 for this in 2016 and I payed $8000.

Work is stopping me from playing but I got a chance to have a bit of a look today. Plan is to build a basic chassis
                    out of 75x50x2 the same size as the rails that support the existing suspension and to cut off all the bits stuck to the chassis like suspension, drawbar etc and then weld the
                    existing chassis to the new one.

Will reuse the axle as it has Al-KO 10” drums in ford stud pattern and fit 3 leaf eye-eye springs and skinny 15” rims with trailer tyres.

Haven’t decided what hitch to use yet, was going to use a poly block but the one on my rubbish trailer has perished and cracked after only 4 years.

Also picked up a 100L water tank and a pump big enough to run a shower that I will stick in front of the axle to
                    try and put some weight on the draw bar as currently there wouldn’t be 5kg due to the A/C being at the back of the teardrop.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice was looking at these a while back but ended up with a 16ft jayco poptop van.

Have found these I am thinking of using

https://www.mchitch.com.au/_p/prd1/3...omatic-coupler.

Dunno if on your list but I reckon these might be worth a look

https://www.caravansplus.com.au/alko...ir-p-1159.html

Comment

VC’s DO35 is meant to be very good. I know the engineering team there and they are very thorough

http://www.vehiclecomponents.com.au/...35-v3-coupling

Comment

I swapped out my poly block for a do35 and have never looked back. Brilliant coupling that is easy to use, just make sure your jockey wheel will go high enough to lift it over the male coupling on the vehicle
                          BeamTina

Comment

Spent the week in Darwin for work so got nothing done except bought a 24” TV DVD thingo
                            and while I was away my elcheapo eBay generator turned up.

Thinking that I will stick to a poly block hitch as all my other trailers have them so no need to swap receivers etc
                            Attached Files

Comment

Going to order the RHS for the chassis tomorrow, what are people’s thoughts on drawbar length?

I am thinking about this long but only because it looks about right.

Also scored a pretty neat drawbar box to store generator, battery etc
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X