X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land-Yolo Discovery 1

Cliffs.

-Discussed with Nopics about acquiring pre-93 4x4 for club regable weekend escape/tow rig
    -Criteria was had to tow 2T plus, be pre 93 for club reg eligibility, big enough to fit dog in back [short haired pointer] and have heating/cooling
    -Series III/County Wagons ruled out due to cost and rust and absolute buckets to drive but god i want one
    -Landcruiser 60 series ruled out due to cost and rust
    -GQ Patrols ruled out because munted by flatbrim brigade and/or rust in roof
    -Landcruiser 80 series ruled about because cunts are seriously fucked in the head and there is no way a 25yr old 4wd with faded paint, fucked trim, 500k on clock, engine and driveline needing a rebuild etc is worth 5k
    -Im fucked in the head and I like punishing myself so i bought a Discovery 1 despite cunts rolling their eyes at me, hence, Land Yolo.

Fun facts:

-People that owned them like them. Anyone thats worked on one hates them

Fuck I hope I dont regret this. Its a 10/93 pre-update with the 3.5L EFI motor on dual fuel, bone standard and it honestly looks like its never really been off road before. Body is really good, interior is not bad but would come good with a proper detail. Engine and trans are smooth and run good which means theyll explode or catch fire tomorrow.

Made the 70km trip home uneventfully and it honestly looks like someone has spent money on this thing. Has a few faults but if you honestly thing a GQ for the same money would be better, im here to tell you your fucking wrong.

Living up to stereotype of potentially catching fire, surely this isnt standard?

Goes here

While on topic of wiring, this is a stereo "install"

Yes. Thats an inline fuse holder taped to the loom and a random join in power wire thats uninsulated

Cunts shouldnt touch cars if they dont know what they are doing. Its not hard to fix but fuck...

Anyway. Thats it for now. Ill report back when it explodes in my driveway.

N-
    1978 Gemini Sedan - Powered by i change my mind every week
    1980 Gemini Sedan
    1992 Land Rover Discovery 200TDI

Shit, I didnít think you hated yourself that much lol.

Should be a good thing, surprising the amount of them I see regularly driving around so canít be all that bad. Maybe start measuring up an LS swap
    Originally posted by Faux Forg
    I agree with Rdyno

Comment

looks super clean

Comment

Originally posted by F3ARED View Post
        -Im fucked in the head and I like punishing myself so i bought a Discovery 1 despite cunts rolling their eyes at me, hence, Land Yolo.

Fun facts:

-People that owned them like them. Anyone thats worked on one hates them

Fuck I hope I dont regret this. -
        just saved these bits for later

Comment

Originally posted by Milkman Don View Post
          Shit, I didn’t think you hated yourself that much lol.

Should be a good thing, surprising the amount of them I see regularly driving around so can’t be all that bad. Maybe start measuring up an LS swap
          Yeah i can be a bit of a sucker for punishment. Having said that though the choice was basically between this with a couple of K up my sleeve to fix its issues, or a clapped out GQ with a shitload of neglect and no budget left. This way seemed to make more sense.

Theres a 304i powered one around the corner real cheap that would make a good parts car for when the inevitable happens but its fucking hideous so im guessing the quality of work is about as good as its look. Ironically the mrs jokingly mentioned LS swaps as well if it croaks, but i think a 1UZ would be a better choice. No drift tax attached to flogged out examples.

Originally posted by Sticky Date View Post
          looks super clean
          Thanks mate. Its had the dealer spec detail of we will polish everything except the roof because thats too high for us to reach and smear tyre shine all over the engine bay but underneath that its all pretty good.

Originally posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
          just saved these bits for later
          Lol. As long as it doesnt catch fire and leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere with the mrs and kidlett on board im happy to put up with parts falling off along the way. I think.

Had a quick squiz at it last night to see if I can start sorting through some of the issues for roady. So far I think ive sussed the oil leaks on the engine, majority of it looks like its the oil pressure sender near the oil filter housing and the rocker covers. Everything else is wet but its not pissing out because my floor is clean [and yes it has oil in it] so good on that score. Spotted a busted drivers side engine mount which looks easy enough to get to so thats on the list.

Wiring. Why do cunts with no idea touch wiring. After i patched that stereo loom i still had no power to head unit, ended up finding a few extra wires in the factory loom just sitting loose in the console, one of which was the earth which had been ripped out of the plug. Heater fan wasnt working/kept blowing fuses so I was dreading having to pull the dash out to replace the fan motor. Turns out the fix was far, far more simple. Some twit had put a 10A fuse in the heater area instead of a 20A despite the colour coding on the lid saying otherwise. Changed that, fan hummed into action - winrar.

Still got no run on petrol; starts and runs fine on gas but absolutely zilch on juice. Had a poke around at the airflow meter and fuck someone has had a dodgy go here. Orange/Brown wire which is apparently MAF + has been cut and a new wire crimped in its place. New wire runs fuck knows where but im assuming its part of the gas conversion wiring. Question is, anyone on here that knows gas know if the orange/brown needs to be connected AND that addition wire left as is, or is the new wire thats been run going to the fuel switch in charge now?

N-
          1980 Gemini Sedan

Comment

Gas runs off coolant temp is about as far as my knowledge goes. The fuel thing could easily be fuel pump blocked, id say that the previous owner ran it flat out on lpg and never bothered to throw a tank of petrol through it every now and then.
            Originally posted by Faux Forg
            I agree with Rdyno

Comment

interested how you go
              mate has offered me one for $500
              Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
              Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Originally posted by clutch-monkey View Post
                interested how you go
                mate has offered me one for $500
                take his $500 then send the disco to the wreckers

Comment

i was thinking more disposable beach run car.

or junkyard turbo til it dies
                  Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                  Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

For $500 its well worth a punt, whats the worst that can happen? It explodes and your down a grand or two. Apparently its the later ones that drop cylinders or something? Dont know dont care im taking the risk and i hope it doesnt bite me in the arse lol.

For the 3.9s apparently most of the issues are caused out of neglect; it chewing cams because of irregular oil changes. Theres a couple of other common faults like the water expansion tank exploding and leading to engines doing grenade impressions, the dizzy vac advance going and things having 2hp as a result, doing heads because the factory gauge is apparently notoriously innaccurate etc. Personally with old 4wds i think it depends more on how its been treated not what it is. A flogged 80 series landcruiser will give just as much headache despite being vastly superior in standard form. TL:DR i should have bought another Jackaroo.

Ash im thinking it may well be the pump thats dead because i cant hear it prime, but the way the wiring is on the AFM needs tidying up regardless as the insulation near the crimp is ratshit. Seriously, how fucking lazy was the LPG installer; they cut the wire RIGHT next to the plug, surely they could have just removed the pin from the plug and recrimped it?
                    1980 Gemini Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by F3ARED View Post

Still got no run on petrol; starts and runs fine on gas but absolutely zilch on juice. Had a poke around at the airflow meter and fuck someone has had a dodgy go here. Orange/Brown wire which is apparently MAF + has been cut and a new wire crimped in its place. New wire runs fuck knows where but im assuming its part of the gas conversion wiring. Question is, anyone on here that knows gas know if the orange/brown needs to be connected AND that addition wire left as is, or is the new wire thats been run going to the fuel switch in charge now?

N-
                      Join AULRO.com and ask bee utey about the lpg wiring. He has forgotten more than I will ever know about lpg, particularly on Land Rovers. The forum is a great resource for oil things Land Rover anyway, well worth the price.

Comment

Did get a hearty chuckle at the first post of the landy being about wiring.

Comment

I worked on someone elseís once. Fuck that noise.

May god have mercy on your soul.
                          Originally posted by S
                          I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

Comment

Your fucked. They are shit hth. Most parts are now nla
                            Originally posted by Marv
                            Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Where are the gas tanks/petrol tank?

If it has scuba tanks under the back where the original fuel tank was it probably has a 40L tank in the rhr 1/4. They are not too hard to drop out.

My old blue disco had a dodgy LPG set up where it shut off the injectors but the pump kept running. I destroyed a pump when the 33's put a hole in the tank and it ran dry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140510_140904.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	6612865
                              Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Comment

Working...
                              X