Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Daily tow rig, V WH Grand Cherokee

So after much researching and butt scratching i narrowed down my next daily as a WH Grand Cherokee due to the 3500 kg tow rating and the BFYB.
    I want to do some basic offroading and with the QDII it has that covered after a lift / wheels are added.
    I was first interested in the 5.7 Hemi because sounds but the economy whilst towing and fuel over $1.50 a liter ended that idea.
    The 3 liter TD V6 then became the choice and after many hours googling it seems they have a few issues but could be worked around with a few mods (catch can, EGR delete, swirl motor delete)
    so i went looking. Around 10k would get me into a decent one with moderate ks.
    After much looking i stumbled onto one at the Auctions at Bathurst which fit the bill and had 4 hrs left on the Auction.
    Not being able to drive it worried me but i decided to have a crack and stop bidding before it got near the price of a private sale.
    Fast forward 4 hrs and i was the highest bedder at $3300 but it didnt reach reserve....Auction house spoke to the wholesaler and he said fuck it let him have it as he sold 10 cars that day and made good on the rest so took a bit of a hit.

Went out in the lorry a few days later and picked it up. Got it home and it has a bit of an oil leak around the transmission pan and a totally flogged out front upper diff bush (very common i found out)

First thing i did was do the Swirl motor delete which involves disconnecting it and putting a resistor in its place (jeep charges over 3k to fix if it fucks out but a 48c resistor overrides it)

Next will be drop the front diff and replace the bush and fix oil leak then see how it goes.

Future plans are a lift and wheels and maybe a Zorst and tune just depends how it goes stock. They have 160KW and 510 nm so should do for awhile.
    Best thing is my young bloke loves it and spent all day working on it and learning shit.
    I climbed Mt Druitt

That's a lot of tow car for the money.
    Didn't know they had over 500Nm. Please carry on.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

yeah 510nm with decent towing capacity certianly has my attention. Very interested to see if they can be trusted for long trips out west
      '67 Volkswagen Beetle 1300cc
      '09 VE SS

Originally posted by Scrad
      You are like some sort of car rapist, Sticking things where they don't belong, and often don't fit nicely

Comment

Looks like a bargain. What year is it?

Comment

2007 model. Its from the time Mercedes Benz owned them so the motor is the Mercedes OM642 and Mercedes 5 speed auto that also powers the Chrysler 300C Turbo Diesels.
          All Alloy quad cam V6 Turbo Diesel with the turbo in the valley above the motor. There are some known issues but if you do what i said deleting the Swirl motor and a catch can plus an EGR delete there meant to be pretty stout.
          In the states they ran DPF but we didnt have it in Oz so thats a bonus. The same motors have been used in all sorts of different Mercs for years as well obviously.
          I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Nice buying!
            Originally posted by thebluerx7
            The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

You have the right idea, they will require more maintenance than the Toyota tractors but are about 11ty million times better.

You will also probably have to do all the work on it yourself, for the same reason.

Nice pickup!
              Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

Yeah i will do what i can to it myself.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

tune it the old merc motors can go alright

I have a tuned 2015 (different motor entirely)it’s got 150awkw, goes ok for 2.5 ton

Great fun launching hard off the lights, can get it to boost to 16psi then off the brake, out launches heaps of cars till 40km/h LOL

Comment

Yeah they pick up around 50kw and over 100nm with a tune iirc.
                    Good for 14s with 33s and a big lift.

I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Originally posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
                      Yeah they pick up around 50kw and over 100nm with a tune iirc.
                      Good for 14s with 33s and a big lift.

Nice!

What’s needed to get 33’s under them?

A quick google images of “lifted WH Cherokee” showed me they look pretty mean low with big tires. Perhaps setting it up to articulate well, low lift and big tires might work well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Originally posted by Babalouie
                      Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

I should point out that a "big lift" on these isnt much if your used to 80 series and GU mods due to IFS. Most people stick to 2 1/2 to 3 inches for normal lifts but Superlifts do 4-6 inches and it requires mods to crossmember etc so not many bother with that but 32s go well under a 3 inch lift. Also Google lifted WK Grand Cherokee for more results than WH as they where called WK in the states.
                        They get further than most expect due to the factory front and rear lockers.

I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

About this height is what id be looking at...

I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

^^^^yeah that’s about the size you want.

I am a big fan of this set up with the recover points and winch with stock bar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Originally posted by Babalouie
                            Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

Oh yeah, that would do!

I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Working...
                              X