Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pajeros any good?

In the market for a new daily and was thinking it's time I get a suitable going away car as I do some trips each year to camp sites/fishing areas/etc. Not enough to need some full on kitted out land cruiser but not interested in a "softroader" either. Mate suggested a pajero, around the 2003 model year range as that sort of fits in my budget of 6 to 8k. Thing is I have no clue about them, no one I know has owned one either. A quick Google suggests they never really had much go wrong but there must be some shit to look for in these things. I think NM is the model code. Anyone got a horror story or are they truly a robust solid thing?
    Originally posted by Gussy
    It's the PF way. "Put a twin turbo LS in it brah, you'll have it converted and running in 2.5 hours and make an eazy 1000rwkw, lulz" All while the same people who suggest this stuff drive around in a corolla and have a fucked VN sitting in the garage for the past 3 years as a "project car."

I know nothing, but, suspect they are a good thing. Mitsubishi.
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

They're a good thing, not as hardcore as a Prado/Land Cruiser/Patrol but still capable off road. And nicer onroad due to no chassis and fully independent suspension. I'd go diesel over the V6, especially if the kms are up there.

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
        They're a good thing, not as hardcore as a Prado/Land Cruiser/Patrol but still capable off road. And nicer onroad due to no chassis and fully independent suspension. I'd go diesel over the V6, especially if the kms are up there.
        Found a couple that I'm going to look at, all diesels, they all seem to have higher klm (300+) which I assume is standard.
        It's the PF way. "Put a twin turbo LS in it brah, you'll have it converted and running in 2.5 hours and make an eazy 1000rwkw, lulz" All while the same people who suggest this stuff drive around in a corolla and have a fucked VN sitting in the garage for the past 3 years as a "project car."

Comment

I have a petrol 2004 model. Have had it for 5 years. Early goes off road as it's not my thing. But one time I did go out with a 4wd nutter mate I was surprised what rocks it would climb (with him spotting me). Mainly used for towing to racetrack and back. It's comfortable, tows nicely etc. Uses heaps of fuel, have never seem less than 15/100 and will get into the 20/100 towing about 2T.

Oh KM are currently 210,000 all good expect maybe a very very slight puff of smoke on a cold start, I mean you really need to looking. No leaks and no real oil.consumption between oil changes.

Another update if you go later 2004/2005 you can get in the NP??? Which is 3.5L petrol and I believe has a higher row rating as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SkidFace View Post
            Found a couple that I'm going to look at, all diesels, they all seem to have higher klm (300+) which I assume is standard.
            At that mileage you need to budget for the injector pump if not done. Also the autos can be problematic if not serviced regularly.

I bought a 2003 manual diesel for $2600. The pump was fucked but expected it.

Comment

Pretty reliable. Make sure timing belt is done when it's due if going petrol. Will likely leak from the valve stem seals and use a bit of oil, I believe it's factory on any Mitsubishi made in the last 40 years.

Comment

Think I will aim for a diesel manual at this stage.

Comment

Had 2005 NP - sold it at 395000km and was still going strong - only big ticket item was injector pump which is anywhere from 4-6K that I replaced in my ownership. Place in Lismore has the right gear to do them and would have been way cheaper than me going to a local place who outsourced to them and then added a decent margin :-/ Just make sure if diesel it is serviced regularly.

I sold it to buy a new one 12 months ago - already has 40000km+ but same basic vehicle, just much more refined. They are a great thing to drive daily and we had ours often on the beach and in the bush - nothing stupid though. Great for towing race cars also.
                  CU in the forest ... sideways!
                  --

Comment

Ensure you drive it & think about how it drives. If you’re not aware of how nasty a 4WD is on the road, it could be a shock.
                    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

When I bought my Jeep was also looking at Pajero's, all were up around 300K kms and felt like driving a truck.

Jeep is my daily around Sydney and really enjoy driving it. Would have hated driving the Pajero every day.

Do yourself a favour and do some research on the WJ Grand Cherokee, or if you can stretch the budget the next model WH.

Comment

Hadn't really thought about a jeep as the repair costs scare me..regail me with tales sir.

Comment

Of woe? Grab a chair...

Comment

Of jeeps and woe should the two be together.

Comment

Also consider challengers and pathfinders

Father in law had a second hand one for a while with no issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X