X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nine2nine
    replied
    Hit four roos so far, yet to damage the steel bar, although one flung around and went down the side of the car and ripper flares off. Would suck having made that many insurance claims. Yes, all were at night, but did live out in the sticks.

I definitely need one for lights, aerial, winch, holding car off banks, path clearing, etc. If I was in the city it would be a tough call, but would prob still get one because it's still a practical and fuctional item, better front end clearance and better looks, but would prob get alloy. Plus winches are only like $300 these days, so chuck one in.

Leave a comment:

• dales133
    replied
    Originally posted by TurbostyleR View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I like the bt50 looks, not everyone does and I get that the bar would toughen it up a bit.

The bar that I reckon would be best is a TJM outback bar. Priced it up at $2250. I asked the assessor what the cost of a replacement bt50 plastic bumper is and it came to $330 plus paint. Im probs looking at $1700 out of pocket for a bar that might actually make my car too long to fit in the garage.

Not too sure if I'm that keen on that. Hmmm.
    I fitted one to a customers ford ranget the other day and they dont stick out massively past the factory bar.
    It was one of those uglyarse 4x4 tuff bars witch stick out further than the much better looking imo Tim bars

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ar3nbe
    replied
    No cons.

Biggest pro is your 4wd doesn't look gay.

If it doesn't have a steel bar is it even a 4wd?

Leave a comment:

• Staples
    replied
    Pros :
    somewhere to mount lights or antennas,
    extra protection for the front obviously
    Improves front end appearance (because smiley face, I have the same car and want a bbar to improve its appearance more than anything)

Cons :
    heavy -could mess with gvm etc if you ever load it right up towing etc this is a 200series thing normally.
    Suspension sag due to extra weight overtime - this one is a funny one because the stock shocks flog out relatively quickly but it happens gradually so you don't notice. So they are probably already done. Due for a change out etc.
    Fuel consumption - although I doubt it would be significant.
    Extra Length is a big deal if it wont fit in your garage. I'd be measuring to confirm that will most likely make the choice for you.

That's about it.

If you want one, it fits in the garage and have a few spare dollars do it.

Leave a comment:

• cracka
    replied
    Originally posted by Crais View Post
    whats the consensus on smart bars for outback travel? I hate the look of steel bullbars, they take a car with nice lines like a 100 series and make it look bogan, plus theyre heavy, pricey and some arent even airbag compatible...but everyone says theyre a neccesary evil for touring.

im not convinced...the US has lots of animals that jump out but fuck all bullbar usage there...surely slowing down a bit and resisting driving at night would go along way toward not needing one?

You hit an animal in the US, youíre not 2 days from help. 300mil people live there.

You arenít either in Australia any more, so they exist to protect your radiator and mount your winch/lights to.

Leave a comment:

• Milkman Don
    replied
    Yet to hit a roo (touch wood) but have them around my house, Iím sure the triton would cop a bit of damage without a bar. That said Iím in suburbs not halfway between civilisation.

The car will take the hit regardless, anything between will obviously assist but driving outside of high risk times is probably the best deterrent imo

Leave a comment:

• Crais
    replied
    whats the consensus on smart bars for outback travel? I hate the look of steel bullbars, they take a car with nice lines like a 100 series and make it look bogan, plus theyre heavy, pricey and some arent even airbag compatible...but everyone says theyre a neccesary evil for touring.

im not convinced...the US has lots of animals that jump out but fuck all bullbar usage there...surely slowing down a bit and resisting driving at night would go along way toward not needing one?

Leave a comment:

• irsa76
    replied
    Originally posted by Aloysious View Post
    Have you looked at the smart bars ? Cheaper, half the weight, whatever damage is done to them they just take the bar off and with a bit of time it pops back to it's original shape and gets bolted back on....
    Price of one for my Challenger was similar to the steel TJM bar I've got on it, was thinking about going smartbar to get some weight off the front. For mainly urban useage they make plenty of sense, had my thing not have the bar on it when I bought it I'd have gone the Smartbar.

Leave a comment:

• Slides
    replied
    If you spend a lot of time at 110km/h you might notice a bit more fuel consumption.

I did notice that drivers that weren't 100% clueless were a bit less likely to be massive fuckwits pulling in front of you in traffic. I mounted LED light barbon mine. Good for nudging stuff. With bullbar and tow bar fitted you will be looking for gardens/end bays/taking 2 spots in a lot of modern car parks.

Leave a comment:

• Aloysious
    replied
    Have you looked at the smart bars ? Cheaper, half the weight, whatever damage is done to them they just take the bar off and with a bit of time it pops back to it's original shape and gets bolted back on....

Leave a comment:

• TurbostyleR
    replied
    Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I like the bt50 looks, not everyone does and I get that the bar would toughen it up a bit.

The bar that I reckon would be best is a TJM outback bar. Priced it up at $2250. I asked the assessor what the cost of a replacement bt50 plastic bumper is and it came to $330 plus paint. Im probs looking at $1700 out of pocket for a bar that might actually make my car too long to fit in the garage.

Not too sure if I'm that keen on that. Hmmm.

Leave a comment:

• dab.of.oppo
    replied
    Originally posted by Gats View Post
    ... and you're looking at close to 3k for a colour coded one these days...

This is why I didn't bother on the Hilux. I can pay the excess 5 times before I break even. The standard bumper has already fended off a small roo.

Leave a comment:

• Fondles
    replied
    Yeah 100% needs cause butt ugly vehicle.

Ranger panels bolt on... bit of misalignment to the doors but yeah.

Leave a comment:

• Gats
    replied
    As cracka said, modern cars still crumble with a bullbar. They're a place to mount lights, aerials, and deflect the odd (smaller) roo hit. The other problem is only ARB and TJM make decent looking ones, and you're looking at close to 3k for a colour coded one these days.

However the BT50 is ugly as fuck sans bullbar, so you definitely need one.

Leave a comment:

• cracka
    replied
    Would you have been substantially better off with a modern bullbar on a modern dual cab? Or would it have bent sideways and taken out the other guard andf both headlights and creased the bonnet? Bullbars on modern cars are headlight and radiator protection, not chassis mounted rigid anvils designed to turn the thing you hit into a crumple zone...

Still a great way to mount lights, and for animal hits though so definitely!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X