1998 Dualcab Hilux of Nuggetyness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 Dualcab Hilux of Nuggetyness

For a little while now I have been wanting to replace my old 2WD Hilux with a 4WD one for much the same tasks plus a bit of 4WDing with friends. But it seems that everyone around here wants stupid money for old nuggets, even ones with no head are asking $4k. At one point I thought about buying something other than a Hilux, but the consensus was that it was pretty much Hilux or nothing: https://performanceforums.com/forums...cab-ute-to-buy

Typical of how these things go a cheap one popped up about an hour and a half away, and i gave the number listed a call. Turns out the wife was listing it for her husband and after some wrangling i managed to get onto him. He was actually storing it at a country workshop near where they had a weekender and it had been sitting there for a while. The price was good enough i was going to do an MCM and just buy it sight unseen, but he insisted on someone going to look at it before buying it. So i went down this morning and had a look. Gave it a drive around the gravel carpark and it seemed ok. Shifted into all the gears well enough, transfer case was a bit like stirring a pot with a long stick but it eventually shifted into everything so good enough, and at half the price of the dreamers selling wrecker utes its good enough. Its got a ton of receipts with it, and seems to have had a new windscreen at some point from the notes and receipts.

Body is reasonable, with a few little dents and ripples. No major rust, and has an ARB front bar:

Has a tray with absolutely hideous lights:

A little bit mullet like. Sensible at the front, bogan at the back. According to old mate he bought it while on holidays in Deniliquin, so those lights and the RM Williams stickers probably fits in fine.

Interior is reasonable, a far cry from most of the tradie utes which have smashed glove boxes and upper boxes:

Seats are a bit how are you doing, but Ill put Subaru ones in like I did on the old Hilux.

Some of the initial walk around showed ill need a bit of rust converter for some areas, and a ton of WD40. Probably time to go buy the 4L bottles of Rust Converter and WD40 from Bunnings. But the chassis and body arent showing any rust. Towbar and bull bar bolts were probably just mild steel and have rusted.

Rear suspension has some interesting mods too. I reckon the suspension was sagging a bit too much for someones liking and they have shoved secondary coil springs in for assist:

Its currently bucketing down here so I havent been able to look at it much since it got dropped off by the towie, but im sure there are things which will need to be done. Considering putting a full suspension kit through it for a 2" lift, and probably replacing all the idler and pitman arms and bushes in the steering. All of that is cheap enough to do straight up.

Will see what it needs soon.
    Chris
    ------
    The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

That looks like a good base. Willing to share what you picked it up for?

Comment

Originally posted by Do the safety dance. View Post
      That looks like a good base. Willing to share what you picked it up for?
      Was $2200, so pretty proper cheap.
      Chris
      ------
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

That's a steal, gonna be well in front even after rego.

Comment

Best bit is that it isn't white. Nice one.

Was always a fan of the 3rz. I had a V6 for a company car for years and it was a shitbox. Drank fuel, made a lot of noise, and wasn't fast.

Comment

Nice one, looks clean to me. Will definitely go up in value. How many k's has it done?

Also out of interest what did it cost to get towed? On the lookout for something currently and yeah it would be good to know what transport woul cost.

Thanks

Comment

Yeah, its pretty decent. Done 350k km, so not too bad on the clock. Wasnt too cheap for towing either, $300, but cheap enough for not having to drive a 3hr round trip again to get it.
              Chris
              ------

Comment

That's a ripper price congrats.

The last one of this generation we had on the farm was at high 600k km before one of the young blokes rolled it in the wet. Ashamed to say it didn't have a R&M sticker on the back (this was at Hay, 120km north of Deni).

Comment

Looks like that muffler has some oxide-assisted airflow optimizations. Incredible price. Granted mine was in better condition with better addons, but it sold for 5x that in a week on gumtree.

Comment

Now subscribe to Shed King for all things Turbo 3RZ....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-L...An8uOvzKldFH_Q
                    I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Originally posted by aerobrick View Post
                      Looks like that muffler has some oxide-assisted airflow optimizations. Incredible price. Granted mine was in better condition with better addons, but it sold for 5x that in a week on gumtree.
                      Yeah, I think ill just rip the entire exhaust out and replace. There are off the shelf ones from Tuff Auto Parts for like $200, bloody cheap.
                      Chris
                      ------

Comment

I did a bit of thinking about the ute, and pretty sure I will just fix up some areas that need sorting, but upgrade where possible. For the suspension, which looks all factory other than that spring, I was thinking about getting one of the Fulcrum suspension kits, like this: https://fulcrumsuspensions.com.au/to...107-89444.html

They seem reasonably priced and cover off everything i need/want in it.

In the front end the steering all looks pretty original with some boots on ball joints perished etc. There are a few mobs who do full steering replacement kits for these. Like this setup.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 9.19.51 am.png Views:	0 Size:	424.8 KB ID:	7139198Makes sense to just be able to replace all of the bits and get a fresh start.

I think ill chuck an off the shelf sports exhaust on it, and there is a mid pipe on ebay which might be useful if the mid pipe is stuffed.

Oh and will probably need this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/wd-40-4l-lubricant_p6100820 for all the rusted bolts....

Suggestions?​
                        Last edited by takai; 30-04-20, 10:14 AM.
                        Chris
                        ------

Comment

Found this stuff to work better than WD40 mate http://www.ppcco.com.au/wurth03.html

Comment

Originally posted by gmr View Post
                            Found this stuff to work better than WD40 mate http://www.ppcco.com.au/wurth03.html
                            Yeah, the Wurth stuff is great. Any decent local B&M suppliers?
                            Chris
                            ------

Comment

I have some brand new 4 spot brake calipers for (I think) one of these if any good for you?
                              Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                              my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Working...
                              X