No announcement yet.

1998 Dualcab Hilux of Nuggetyness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah dont think I'd want to go to all the trouble of changing the whole front over, I prefer the look of the flat bonnet on the older series.

Was hoping of modifying the current front to suit them if at all possible.

Comment

Originally posted by 080GMH View Post
      Yeah dont think I'd want to go to all the trouble of changing the whole front over, I prefer the look of the flat bonnet on the older series.

Was hoping of modifying the current front to suit them if at all possible.
      Yeah, not really possible. I swapped over to the new lights on my old Hilux which was a last model Workmate hodgepodge and there wasnt a huge benefit there. They are still the same type of reflector in a newer housing.
      Chris
      ------
      The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
        Got more details on those LED headlights? The lights in my 95 4runner are piss poor and I suspect they might be the same as what you have/had.
        Yeah, will be the same as the 4Runner. These are the same design: https://www.amazon.com.au/Headlight-...%2C294&sr=8-37 but I bought mine from a US supplier before they were easily available.
        Chris
        ------
        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Ah awesome, thanks!
          Norbie!

Comment

The process of screwing all of this back together has been really slow. Although part of that is because i keep getting distracted by other things. First up was getting the drawers in, which i mounted up using a ton of M8 stainless hardware and sandwiched 3mm rubber sheet in between, got it all together and it fits well:

Then i started running the wiring for the rear battery and realised how filthy the cabin was, which led to pulling out all the interior to clean it:

And it truly was filthy:

But i did find some interesting things when doing automotive archaeology. True to form there were a few casings under the vinyl:

Plus some ski club tickets from 1998, the same year as the Hilux was made

Anywho, i also found this big dent under the clutch pedal:

Which after a hit with a hammer gave:

That spot is here, high up under the car between the chassis rail, torsion bar and gearbox. I have absolutely no idea how it could have even been hit.

Completely bizarre. Ohwell, it got a bit of a beating and then some sound deadening added over the top.... then one thing led to another and suddenly the entire rear of the cabin was covered in sound deadening:

While all that was drying I got around to refitting the flares, after the flare mounting rubber finally arrived:

Then after refitting all the interior i figured out why it was all so filthy.

That is the rear cabin vent to allow pressure to equalise when opening and closing doors. The one on the left was what was in the car, and the one on the right is what it should look like. Basically had none of the flaps or dampening chamber, so little wonder the cabin filled up with mud and junk.

Anywho, I decided that I should actually make some progress on getting it back together and built a bracket to mount the battery isolation switch and manual override:

Was all pleased with myself before promptly realising that I had completely forgotten to add space for the circuit breakers. So then i had to build a new one. Take two:

Its made out of 1.6mm sheet steel, so a bit of an overkill, but I didnt have any 1.2mm or 1mm around.

Finally my Deutsch plugs arrived so i did the wiring for the rear tail lights with my new crimper. Its so good having a nice crimper for this stuff:

And I also finished off the grille that was munted by the previous owner, and gave it a bit of a paint job:

Thats about it for now. Currently waiting for new slim AGM to arrive so i can finish the rear seat wiring and then I can get a move on with mounting up the canopy properly and doing all that sort of stuff.
            Chris
            ------

Comment

Putting in far more effort than the vehicle justifies. I dig it!
              Norbie!

Comment

Putting in far more effort than the vehicle justifies. I dig it!
                Yeah. Polishing a turd again... what else would we do otherwise?
                Chris
                ------

Comment

Buy a Golf GTi and get a crackle tune?

*shudders*
                  Norbie!

Comment

Buy a Golf GTi and get a crackle tune?

*shudders*
                    *shudder*

I admit I almost got the GR Yaris though.
                    Chris
                    ------

Comment

Love your progress mate!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X