1998 Dualcab Hilux of Nuggetyness

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Car and caravan have a 12 pin flat but i disconnected the bottom power wires and ran an Anderson plug for them.
    Personally id just run a 7 pin flat with an Anderson plug for a normal car.
    I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Got started on the suspension kit yesterday and figured i would have about enough time to do the rear suspension on both sides.

First port of call was to fit up the tailshaft so that there is another point of contact with the diff:

New/Rebuilt shaft went in smoothly and feels good. I wonder if the centre bearing is installed backwards from the spacing of the bracket, but it will work for now:

Then the fighting with the rear suspension started. Firstly there was so much mud in the spare wheel that it took about 20mins to unclog and re-lube the chain winder for the spare tyre. Also found where old mate stored his bong:

After that I was able to get into the bolts on the suspension. The rear shackles were ok as they had been replaced at some point. But everything else was completely seized that even the M18 midtorque wasnt able to make the bolts budge. So out with the angle grinder. Spring seat off:

Then the front eye bolt, which needed both sides cut off and then to be tapped through:

But the eye bolt had basically rusted to the sleeve so badly that it was nigh on impossible to bash out. Plus with the muffler on one side and the steps on the other there wasnt much room to swing. Bashed it out in the end though.

After all that the new spring and shock went in almost flawlessly. Just dropped in easily and no major issues:

By then 4 hours was done and I packed it all up and went inside. Planning on doing the other side soon, but I will just start with the angle grinder there and not both with any finesse. The pain is that the front eye bolt on the other side sits right next to the fuel tank, so even less wiggle room. I am tempted to just run the angle grinder with a fresh disc up each side of the eye mount and hog out the bolt from the inside, then I can cold chisel off the outers. Will see...
      Chris
      ------
      The new nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

I immediately jumped to expecting “it can’t be tight if it’s a liquid” solution.
        ---
        Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          I immediately jumped to expecting “it can’t be tight if it’s a liquid” solution.
          Nah, oxy is a bit dicey with some of the clearances. Might go get the M12 mini sawzall as it could be quite useful...
          Chris
          ------
          The new nugget
          I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

What took a couple of hours on the passenger side was all done in about 40mins on the drivers side... true the front bolt actually undid with a 2.4m breaker bar. But not faffing about trying to undo the u bolts made it all much easier.
            Chris
            ------
            The new nugget

Comment

Brief update. Had a quick bash at the steering with a pickle fork and the new M18 high torque impact wrench, and this happened:

Dragged all that rusty and leaking stuff inside:

Bashed at it some more with the pickle fork and then added some rattle can black:

Then added some new components:

Now to refit it whenever it stops raining long enough...
              Chris
              ------
              The new nugget

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
                What took a couple of hours on the passenger side was all done in about 40mins on the drivers side... true the front bolt actually undid with a 2.4m breaker bar. But not faffing about trying to undo the u bolts made it all much easier.
                there is something satisfyingly simple about working on an old leaf spring suspension, battling throught the mud & grime and installing new stuff. I can't quite put my finger on what makes it satisfying but maybe it has something to do with how you can see it all working even after its installed?
                RB26......................Again

Comment

Such nugget, many hundreds of thousands of kms left to go

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Comment

Many more if I can get to finishing off replacing all the rusted components. The body and chassis is surprisingly good, especially given how rusted all the bolt on cast parts are.
                    Chris
                    ------
                    The new nugget

Comment

You're not mucking around! Looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by gmr View Post
                        You're not mucking around! Looks good.
                        Something something fornicating spiders.

Planning on doing the front suspension this weekend. Not looking forward to doing the torsion bars!
                        Chris
                        ------
                        The new nugget

Comment

In the interest of getting this done so that we can use it to move house i kept at it this weekend.

Managed to find a new 2WD towbar from Gumtree and put that on:

Tucks up higher than the 4WD one, so if i actually get out and take this 4WDing it should cope better with departure angles.

Added a flat 12 pin metal socket too:

Then moved to the front. Pulled the pads and surely enough they were bung:

Add new pads and a bit of antisqueal grease and good to go:

After that I fitted up all the steering and the shocks:

Left the torsion bars alone for now as there wasnt enough time to mess with them and get them out.

Also fitted up and wired the tail lights and numberplate mount and sorted out the tailgate hinges and clips:

Needs a wheel alignment as it has terrible toe in, but that is fairly simple. Should be almost good to go for RWC soon.
                          Chris
                          ------
                          The new nugget

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
                            Had a little bit of time on the weekend to have a better look at this and see what sort of Nugget it really is, and how it can be made into a NoujÍt. As per usual with old second hand vehicles it involved a bit of automotive archaeology. Only this time it looked more like actual archaeology. Tons of caked on mud underneath the body:

Most of it from what looks like old mud wasp nests (thankfully vacated):

On first inspection I thought the entire exhaust system was completely rusted through:

But after some scraping and hitting with a hammer its just caked on mud:

Now i dont have power or water out on the street, so had to use the Aldi "pressure" washer that i normally use for the bikes:

Did a reasonable enough job though.

Gave it an oil change and adjusted the idle, which resolved most of the tappet noise from the head. But who in hell thought that this is a good spot for an oil filter:

Popped a wheel off at the front to see what sort of shape the brakes were in:

Looks like it needs pads and probably discs (great), which will mean I may as well do hub bearings too. Plus at least that ball joint that is weeping. I think ill probably do a full steering kit, which means ball joints, tie rods, idler and pitman arm.

Suspension is pretty knackered. So ill take it as an opportunity to drop in a simple suspension setup, and a 40-50mm lift to boot.

Still need to change gearbox and diff oil, and hoping that there wont be too much metal in those. I suspect the tailshaft bearing might be knackered too, will see.

Time to start ordering stuff.
                            Got a ARB front bar sitting here with brackets welded up for 2" body lift if you're interested.
                            Originally posted by Skompa
                            Yeah, bit too nice for me, I prefer my R32s with mountains of bog and LS engines

Comment

Originally posted by jaikai View Post

Got a ARB front bar sitting here with brackets welded up for 2" body lift if you're interested.
                              All good, its currently got an ARB front bar and not planning on a body lift.
                              Chris
                              ------
                              The new nugget

Comment

nice progress bloke, is that tray mounted properly, im no gingerbeer but the bolts are in shear? or is that how they all are?
                                www.holditflat.com

Comment

Working...
                                X