No announcement yet.

1998 Dualcab Hilux of Nuggetyness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, didnt notice that pic before. Yeah that is looking like the only proper way. To my surprise some of the more expensive brands install method is to nutsert it, but I suspect thats mostly driven by the in house installers just wanting an easy job.
    Last edited by Mr Ed; 22-06-20, 04:36 PM.
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ed View Post
      Hmm, didnt notice that pic before. Yeah that is looking like the only proper way. To my surprise some of the more expensive brands install method is to nutsert it, but I suspect thats mostly driven by the in house installers just wanting an easy job.
      Yeah. Im not sure i would trust nutserts with any wind lift load. Thats just a rather scary thing, and why i put link bars underneath to tie it fully across the rail.
      Chris
      ------
      The new nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

So i have done very little on this since June, but it has been a pretty good workhorse for Bunnings runs in earlay July and then moving house in late July and August

However, on the move the severe limitations of the tray construction started to make themselves evident, and so I have started to think about the new tray build, before the existing tray spontaneously deconstructs itself. Given i want to be able to get out camping with this thing, i am starting to think about making a new tray with an inbuilt 600mm canopy for fridge and cooking storage. That would leave a 1200mm tray for general usage and throwing the bikes on the back etc, which i think would be quite usable. So i quickly knocked up this in Fusion to be able to visualise the layout:

I have coloured the canopy and tray separately, although in construction they would be welded as one piece. Green is a 1500x750mm under tray drawer, and the red are tapered storage boxes. Plan is to run a secondary fuel tank behind the headboard as well and some PVC pipe either side of the drawer for water storage.
        There are extra receptacles for the rear ladder hoop, which itself will be a 2 part unit for easy bike loading etc. Will have to model that up soon.

Should be a relatively easy build overall.

Thoughts?
        Chris
        ------
        The new nugget
        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Hey man, maybe include removable ladder bars so you can carry long shit?

Comment

Originally posted by Likes Dirt View Post
            Hey man, maybe include removable ladder bars so you can carry long shit?
            Yeah. That’s what the little receptacles are for in the corners of the tray.
            Chris
            ------
            The new nugget

Comment

Not much has been happening with this due to needing it for moving and building stuff. The back seat is now full of gear to go into the tray eventually though.

But on the weekend i did disrespect one of the few non-rooted panels on the car. Enter the template and step drill:

After some super awkward drilling and then having to reach up under the guard to tighten fasteners 20deg a swing you end up with this:

Then you have to wiggle this super awkward silicone/rubber 90deg bend through the guard into the engine bay and connect it to the airbox:

My arms looked like i was self-harming afterwards...

Anyway, it is done. Chucked a K&N in as well, as the old filter was crap and the K&N was cheaper than the stock Ryco option:

Now to leave it be until after the workshop is done.
              Chris
              ------
              The new nugget

Comment

So... one of these is not like the others...
                Chris
                ------
                The new nugget

Comment

If you didn’t check you’d never know
                  ---
                  Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
                    So... one of these is not like the others...
                    Mix oil into the petrol.... Make it 2 stroke mix.... I'm sure the extra oil will help compression, if not, let you escape without being seen

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                      If you didn’t check you’d never know
                      Hah. I already knew. Down on power below 2500rpm and a nice ticking noise in the head. The only question was why.

Effectively no change with oil down the piston, guessing burnt exhaust valves as these things need regular lash adjustment on the scissor cams and shim height checks.
                      Chris
                      ------
                      The new nugget

Comment

Been considering what to do with the Hilux, and as part of that I watched a couple of the Shed King videos on rebuilding 3RZs... which got me thinking.

Given the previous turbo setup had a bit of scope creep (MX5)... i wonder if this might be able to be kept under control. Might even chuck a top mount W2A IC on it for lols.
                        Chris
                        ------
                        The new nugget

Comment

I believe those exhaust driven intake manifolds can have a marked effect on driveability and fuel economy. It would be silly not to fit one while you're in there.
                          Last edited by Greasystick; 06-11-20, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X