Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

something something 600bhp sleeper?

i see no reason this is a bad thing.

surely thast stock manifold would be easy to make into a log unit?
    I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...
    WANTED: HOLDEN CALIBRA - WHAT YA GOT?
    robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post
      something something 600bhp sleeper?

i see no reason this is a bad thing.

surely thast stock manifold would be easy to make into a log unit?
      May as well just buy one for $350 or so.

The 600bhp sleeper idea is pretty much rendered pointless by the W56 behind it. Might see if i can find some chinaspec rods though and bring it past the 250hp sort of barrier that the stock rods are known to be limited at.
      Chris
      ------
      The new nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

I also headed around to a mates house to help him put a H55F back into his 60 series, on a day when it decided to pour with rain... that was fun.

Mmmm, 90kg of freshly rebuilt cast iron gearbox:

Somehow we managed to get it up here with 2 jacks and a lot of dicey manoeuvres:

But while I was there we test fitted some wheels to the Hilux:

They are 32x11.5x15 on 15x8 -23 offset wheels. Fit up pretty well. Might need a touch of relief around the inner plastic guard on the flares, and those side steps will need to go. But no great loss there

Pretty much perfectly fitting guard wise:

Tempting to grab those when he goes to 33s.

Also came across a random ute in the street with a canopy setup similar to what I am thinking of, so leaving this here to jog my memory:
        Chris
        ------
        The new nugget
        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Not much progress on this thing, although I did drag the engine in to the garage last night, which was dicey as. First had to get the engine crane down the stairs (garage is 300mm lower than the path), and then pull the engine over and let it swing into the garage. Managed to do it without any major damage:

Got it up on the engine stand, and then decided to pop on a couple of bits that I had collected for it:

eBay manifold with random studs that i had lying around. Manifold seems decent.

But its clearly made for a smaller turbo:

Picked up that T3/T4 and manifold cheaply from eBay courtesy of some random code giving me a couple of hundred dollars off overall, so for $350 in the hole it isn't terrible. Trying now to decide whether i rotate the turbo and keep it parallel with the block or twist it 15deg to make it point outwards slightly. The second option makes it harder with the dump pipe, the first makes it harder with the intake.

Oh well that is a problem for future me.
          Chris
          ------
          The new nugget

Comment

Had a brief muckaround after dinner with the turbo, playing with rotation or twisting the flange. A fairly small flange twist lets it all clear fairly well:

Its still close, but should work ok, and with a turbo blanket and insulation it shouldnt dump too much heat into the cam cover area. The disadvantage here is that there is much less room between the cam cover and dump pipe.

The other option is to create room by rotating the flange away from the engine, that i have simulated here with a couple of bolts in the flange holes:

That gives a reasonable amount of room, back to the engine, but might make the exhaust side a bit dicey. It does give more clearance for the exhaust housing though.

Not settled on what to do yet, will be waiting until i rebuild this engine and swap them over anyway, so can fix the turbo flange when the engine comes out. Big thing for now is to set up the engine fittings out of the car so that it is easier to do.

Oh and i pulled the cam cover from the engine and it looks reasonably clean inside, which is nice. Yet to get into disassembly proper, but given it turns over ok and no sludge gives me hope it might be a fairly simple ring and bearing job.
            Chris
            ------
            The new nugget

Comment

What if you put a spacer between the head and manifold?

Comment

Originally posted by Sturmovik View Post
                What if you put a spacer between the head and manifold?
                Yeah, but more area for leakage, and more studs to replace with longer ones. Not sure it makes it any easier overall as then the entire manifold is closer to the brake master. From this quick squiz at Shedking's videos there isnt that much room on that side:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_Shot_2021-04-01_at_9.01.27_pm.png
Views:	102
Size:	800.8 KB
ID:	7241283
                Chris
                ------
                The new nugget

Comment

Working...
                X