No announcement yet.

1998 Dualcab Hilux of Nuggetyness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely in the 80:20 phase of the engine side of this build, lots of little things this weekend.

First up was managing to get all of the shims i needed, all 11 of them...

Not cheap, but its what it costs in a pandemic and good to get things dialled in properly.

Lots of pretty new shims:

Which is basically the entire exhaust side and a few on the intake side:

In hindsight i really should have just done it on the bench and ground the tips of the valves, but I was rushing a little bit to make a deadline (which is now pointless due to lockdown), so... moral of the story, dont rush.

Once that was done it is a trivial exercise to bolt all the ancillaries on, and you end up with this:

Plus i pulled out the Jaaaaaaaaaag V12 alternator that was rumoured to fit, and voila:

Fit it does, and its a bolt in 140A replacement for the stock 75A unit. Should do well.

After that it was just a bit of tidying up on the engine bay ahead of reinstalling the engine:

While i was pulling the clutch line out because the rubber was bulging, i also found out why the floor was getting wet in the rain:

Tore straight off while wiggling the bracket to get the rusted on retaining clip out. Will have to sort that one out.

But also found that the spare Gktech clutch line from some Silvia or Skyline fits almost perfectly:

Finally found a use for it, one less thing to do.

Lastly I got busy with the rattle can and did what all the cool kids call "murdering out"

Back in my day it was just spraying the radiator panel with a rattle can... oh wait it still is.

Possibly able to get the engine back in next weekend, if its not pouring for all of it.
    Chris
    ------
    The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

On Saturday i pulled my finger out, took a teaspoon of concrete, and figured i could work in the rain if need be. So managed to get the engine out of the garage with a bit of pendulum trickery and no small amount of good luck:

That meant i could get access to the back of the engine to put the rear main seal and carrier on, and then the flywheel:

Add some pink bits, and then a fresh release bearing to the gearbox.

Then its time to gingerly wheel it all over to the ute to offer up:

Lift engine into engine bay, and spend a while trying to line up the input shaft with the clutch. Remember part way through that you forgot to remove the clutch aligning tool (yes, note that above). Wiggle the engine back and forward until you can get your hand into the bellhousing and pull that out.
      Funnily enough it is much easier to get into place without an alignment tool in the way....

Manage to get it lined up and then add the bolts in and pull down on the dowels:

Took a bit of effort to get the bellhousing bolts in, but managed to do that. Much easier without the intake and exhaust manifolds in the way.

Then it was up to test fitting the dynamic compression ratio modification device:

Spent a bit of time checking out clearances and taking measurements for the eventual spoolyboy install:

After that there was a bunch of boring bolting up of ancillaries. But im waiting on heater hoses to arrive, because they are a pain in the arse to replace with the manifolds in place, so i thought I should actually do it now. But that will delay most of the rest of the bits. Hopefully they will arrive this week and I can get it screwed back together next weekend and then start on the tray soon after.
      Chris
      ------
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

This was totally not what i was expecting. Epic.

Might have missed it, what size is the spoolyboi and what ecu are you running the thing with?
        1978 Gemini Sedan - Powered by i change my mind every week - R.I.P
        1980 Gemini Sedan
        1987 Range Rover Vogue
        1996 TF Holden Rodeo

Comment

Haha. Yeah, it escalated quickly.

Currently sizing up with a T3/T4. But will be using a GT3582R or a GT3576R, or eBay clone, and it will be getting the PS1000 from the MX5 as that is going DBW.
          Chris
          ------

Comment

Get a pulsar 3076 Gtx. Will be crazy responsive and they aren’t expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by tim510 View Post
              Would have to remake the manifold for external gate then, and there already isn't much room on that side with the steering rack...

Was considering the Pulsar 6682 as an option https://www.pulsarturbo.com/product/...-gt3582-turbo/
              Last edited by takai; 06-10-21, 08:03 PM.
              Chris
              ------

Comment

No pictures displaying for me... is my browser fucked or pictures no work?

Comment

Originally posted by venicebeach View Post
                  No pictures displaying for me... is my browser fucked or pictures no work?
                  All seem to be working here. Try this direct link; http://images.plebeians.net/_data/i/...3adfe44-xl.jpg
                  Chris
                  ------

Comment

So I just did a web search for that, apparently I can buy them from Kogan or fucking Dick Smith of all places, WTF??
                    Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post

So I just did a web search for that, apparently I can buy them from Kogan or fucking Dick Smith of all places, WTF??
                      Yeah. They seem to sell on various marketplaces. Amazon too.

Done some more thinking about wastegates. It could work, but will be super tight if i decide to go with an external wastegate to make the Pulsar turbo work:

Now it could work, but im not sure that the 3076 will be that much less laggy than the 3582, which is far more conveniently packaged.
                      Last edited by takai; 07-10-21, 04:40 PM.
                      Chris
                      ------

Comment

I have a Pulsar 3071GTX2 on my 2.8L Patrol. Its brilliant. Comes on boost hard. A big turbo on a towing / offroad car makes no sense at all. I like big turbos, but this isn't a performance build.

I went from a china 3076 .86 journal bearing to a Pulsar 3071GTX .64 BB and it spools 2000rpm earlier.

Comment

I have a Pulsar 3071GTX2 on my 2.8L Patrol. Its brilliant. Comes on boost hard.
                          Sounds like it might be just the thing for a 3.0L V6 4runner in a rear mount setup...
                          Norbie!

Comment

I have a Pulsar 3071GTX2 on my 2.8L Patrol. Its brilliant. Comes on boost hard. A big turbo on a towing / offroad car makes no sense at all. I like big turbos, but this isn't a performance build.

I went from a china 3076 .86 journal bearing to a Pulsar 3071GTX .64 BB and it spools 2000rpm earlier.
                            Is that the Pulsar 3076GTX2 or 3071? I cant find the 3071 on their website, but the 3076 is here: https://www.pulsarturbo.com/product/...oduce-special/

At $600 its a pretty good price for the turbo. Just means more mucking around with an external wastegate and dump pipe. Im sure i can figure it out, but it was all looking so easy with the 3540 from a BF Falchoon.
                            Chris
                            ------

Comment

Youre looking at the US website.

I bought from here : https://www.pulsarturbo.com.au/colle...2-turbocharger

About $1000 aud shipped is the price. You might find them $50-$100 less if you shop around or have a coupon code.

Comment

Youre looking at the US website.

I bought from here : https://www.pulsarturbo.com.au/colle...2-turbocharger

About $1000 aud shipped is the price. You might find them $50-$100 less if you shop around or have a coupon code.
                                Ahh yeah, my mistake. Interestingly the Garrett Boost Adviser recommends the 2871 as well, at about 15psi to make 450hp at the crank. Would be at the upper end of the compressor range, but perhaps also doable. What sort of pressure are you running?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 6.31.11 pm.png
Views:	81
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	7302023

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 6.30.10 pm.png Views:	0 Size:	262.9 KB ID:	7302022
                                Last edited by takai; 08-10-21, 05:31 PM.
                                Chris
                                ------

Comment

Working...
                                X