Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10-15 psi on my 300,000km Datto motor.

Comment

Interesting. Will have to keep considering this one, as it will likely only be next year that I will get around to turboing it.
      Chris
      ------
      The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Another week and certainly invoking the 80:20 rule here. But the box of heater hoses finally arrived and so it became a process of mix and match to figure out where everything went:

Not terrible, but a pain as a bunch of them were too long and needed to be trimmed shorter, or joined in two for some reason. Plus the entire heater hose catalogue doesn't include the feed and return to the oil cooler or the throttle body. Minor annoyances, but they are both absolutely painful to get into and I hope they never burst, as the old ones had to go back on there. The oil cooler ones will be fine as in the long run they will be replaced when i do the turbo.

Plus i put on my new Jaaaaag alternator, only to realise that it had the old style of plug, which required a plug adapter:

Mercifully they are available off the shelf, but another couple of day wait.

Then I started bolting it all back together and one of the fuel pressure regulator bolts sheared off... Mercifully it came out with the application of a sacrificial torx bit

After that I made up a hideous overkill of a fuel line to replace the damaged one, because getting a new fuel hose crimped up in lockdown was all but impossible, so a 200 series -6AN line it is:

But hey, bling bling.

At which point you get to here:

And so late one afternoon

Still has a slight exhaust leak as the secondaries were only finger tight, and I now need to bolt together the rest of the random bits and pieces, but its pretty much good to go.
        Chris
        ------
        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Mint. ETA Till it skids like this?

https://youtu.be/AVU5tugKbrI

Last edited by Greasystick; 11-10-21, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Lol, 4AG.... thats adventurous.

Turbo conversion will be sometime next year. I have to liberate an ECU for it first, and going to wait until i have had enough time over the summer with camping etc to do it.
            Chris
            ------

Comment

Another week, another update.

Didnt get much of a chance to do much until the weekend as it basically lashed down all week here, but got back into it after it dried out. Well after the weather did anyway.

Fitted up the radiator and the rest of the pipe work, and filled the radiator, only to find that the water pump gasket had pinched at some point in the fitting, and was just pissing water out of the side of the pump:

That necessitated pulling the entire front of the car apart again to try and figure out what has gone on. Replaced it with RTV and bolted it all back up, but had to wait for the RTV to dry, so set about doing other things... namely moving onto the tray. Got the ute through into the back yard:

Then set about pulling the tray apart. But thought I would document just how bad it was before i started. First up was this terrible roll hoop/ladder bar/spotty bar that was bolted and then welded to the tray because they had used bolts that had a longer non-threaded shoulder than the tray thickness.

Oh and everything is rusty, so needed to be cut off:

All of the bolt heads on the tray mounts were rounded off, probably some redneck security measure. Out comes the grinder:

Every 6" or so there were these really badly drilled holes for side marker lights. EVERY SIX INCHES! Would have been at least 50 of them on the car:

Anyway, after an hour or so it finally looked like this:

At which point I was able to clean out part of the accumulated mud... yes only part of it. Still a ton more to go, the chassis rails were almost full:

The next day I got stuck into making the new tray. Firstly set it up with clamps to get some measurements and levels.

Make the noise:

Managed to get it all square and within +/-0.1deg of deflection, which I figure is good enough for a ute tray.... You can also see in that picture the mounts i built for the tray with random 3mm square plate washers for spacers.

Then weld on some bars, and take it off for trimming up the cab end:

Go back to the trusty mitre bandsaw and start chamfering ends:

Then the outer bars get tacked in place:

After that it is time for the main hoop, measure measure measure then cut:

Do a bit of maths and measuring and you end up with one main hoop:

Looks a bit weird, but thats because its the same profile as the canopy.

Finally, do a bit of trimming where you screwed up and forgot that the under tray drawer has to go in the space that you just filled with the rear bar:

All in all decent for a half day of work on the tray. Still need to build the light plate, and start to weld up a bunch of mount pieces for the behind rear wheel boxes, plus some gussets etc, and then have to weld up the entire thing. But its getting there, not too long now.
              Last edited by takai; 18-10-21, 10:15 PM.
              Chris
              ------

Comment

Damn it's looking like a totally different nugget than 9 pages ago

Comment

But with the new tray will it fit down the side of the house to get back out?????

Comment

Oh fuck he's gone and built a Countach in his basement

Comment

Originally posted by PXL265 View Post
                      But with the new tray will it fit down the side of the house to get back out?????
                      Hahahha. The new tray is narrower than the old one, so if it got in it will get out....

I do have a friend who did the NCIS thing and hand built a boat in his basement and then had to demolish part of the house to get it out.
                      Chris
                      ------

Comment

Luckily you can put a 1UZ in this and it will still be able to get out of the driveway
                        Originally posted by Jim
                        I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                        What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Working...
                        X