No announcement yet.

Block of flats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turns out I lied! The $70 part was genuine... Seems like Land Rover is clearing all their old stock cheap... So get it while it lasts? I guess that explains my bonnet pull cable that everyone else needs now! Luckily I ended up needing it...

I got the new pipe in successfully, it felt like it made a nice fit into th rubber o ring at the back of the engine (with the help of a borescope), lubed it up with rubber grease first just to be sure I didn't damage the seal. I tested the system at 12psi and it held that for over an hour and there's been no leaks (touch lots of wood).

Had the ABS Module fixed at the place in Northmead and it has been a treat. No bongs since!!

Now...since the oil change I've been leaking more oil from the rocker covers than before... Because I cleaned up everything under the engine when doing water pump, etc the oil has no neat path to flow down, so now is dripping.

The rocker cover is a strange arrangement, it uses a fixed length bolt and rubber grommets on the bolts, to squeeze the gasket down.

Turns out these rubber grommets Haven't been replaced in a long time and are like little rocks, providing VERY little force to hold the cover down on the seal... So I'm $40 poorer for new Topran grommets (30 of them when I only need 16, bit never mind) and $10 for Belleville washers... Apparently this is a little hack that should keep the pressure on longer...

It really is a joy to drive and it's comfy, quiet and smooth. Very lucky I wanted a hobby and enjoy this kind of stuff too.

Things left to do:

Rear shocks (waiting in my garage!) Seat cushion foam for the driver's seat bottom (found a brand new NOS from the UK for £60!)
    Towbar wiring - going to hack a harness together... I need to tow soon and I've got a hitch coming.... 322mm long and 3.6t rating!
    Originally posted by piss98
    fuck I'd be happy to suck Bill Gates off

Comment

Don't hack shit together for the towbar wiring, you've seen there's a trailer wiring module & harness right? I'll send you a message.

Who's the place in Northmead that did the ABS module repair?
      Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
      Originally posted by nutttr
      People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
        Don't hack shit together for the towbar wiring, you've seen there's a trailer wiring module & harness right? I'll send you a message.

Who's the place in Northmead that did the ABS module repair?
        Hehe, I'm going to tap the wires that go to the module normally... A few people have done in it the past and apparently works ok, I'll be terminating it to a proper socket so I can run it out the hatch and hide it when I don't need it. (it'll be very rarely used).

Something else I finally finished - new boot seal installed! It has been raining and it no longer leaks!! So now it's water tight. Lucky got a brand new boot seal from the UK for £80 (plus shipping...).

Place I got module fixed at is "abs repair" actually in seven hills... Thought it was Northmead...

Comment

Originally posted by nutttr View Post

Something else I finally finished - new boot seal installed! It has been raining and it no longer leaks!! So now it's water tight. Lucky got a brand new boot seal from the UK for £80 (plus shipping...).
          The seal that goes right around the upper and lower tailgate opening? Mine is getting wet in the back in heavy rain and I wondered if this was the culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonWB View Post

The seal that goes right around the upper and lower tailgate opening? Mine is getting wet in the back in heavy rain and I wondered if this was the culprit.
            Yup! Got it from Island 4x4. I think shipping might have been something like £35...

But they do leak from a lot of places... The upper tailgate hinge bolts (if headlining is wet too), around the top corners of the seal (some people pull them off, use some form of non-setting gap filler and rotate the seal a few inches around so it sits better...).

If you pull the seal off where the 2 halves meet there about 3 or 4 pieces of metal join - this is where the water was getting in on my boot and it seemed to come out into that wheel well from there....somehow. But there's clear gaps in the sheet metal right there and if you wanted to hack it, just Silastic it up there...

Comment

So, news!

My new thermostat I ordered 2 months ago from Lithuania (88 deg thermostat for a BMW diesel rather than the 105 deg thermostat used in the M62) turned up. I was half expecting to need PayPal protection for once.

Haven't installed it yet, but that's a relatively easy job.

Appears I've sorted the oil leak (or it has run out of oil...) using Belleville washers on the stupid fixed length bolts on the edge of the rocker covers...

All my tow bar wiring worked a treat and reversing up hill into tight spaces is so easy with low range... Had to back a trailer up with about 3" either side around a corner and got it right every time...

Went 4wding today (on the way to a bush walk, so it's exercise within the LGA, so allowed!) and had some fun, did all of Marramarra on the fiddletown side. There's a 4wd play area there, whether by intention or not, and it was great. On "off-road" mode it makes it pretty easily up decent steps, the front end just cleared the ledge and the side steps just touched, so good balance. This thing appears very capable off road, seems to go up everything I've tried so far and a pretty large amount of clearance under it (as nothing hangs down at all and mostly protected up in the floor)...

I've had to email the ABS repair guys as the module has started playing up again, I'll check my wheel sensors first (swap left to right to make sure it's not my sensor!)... Hopefully they stand by their warranty.

I've got a few little fiddly things to do, but it's running so well I don't want to jinx it...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20210725-WA0000~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	7274861
              Last edited by nutttr; 25-07-21, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Good to see it being used offroad.
                Mine gets a decent work out every now and then, this year I have done SkyTrek and the Bendleby Ranges (both Flinders Ranges).

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonWB View Post
                  Good to see it being used offroad.
                  Mine gets a decent work out every now and then, this year I have done SkyTrek and the Bendleby Ranges (both Flinders Ranges).
                  Had a quick look and skytrek looks like it'd be good to explore! My kids would love that... Maybe once lockdown is done and we can travel!

Comment

Skytrek is a good family day drive (if you are camping there). Only a bit of "proper" 4wdriving near then end of the drive, but lots of points of interest along the way.
                    Bendleby Ranges has a lot more driving, still with good scenery, but not so much in the way of family friendly interesting stuff.

Comment

Great thanks! Young kids = must be interesting! Even if it's just a huge mud hole to play in!

Comment

Not much mud, being the north of SA. If it is wet enough for mud it is too cold to play in, even for my kids (9, 8 and 4. How old are yours?).

Comment

7&5. By the time lockdown is over they'll probably be a lot older!!

Comment

Originally posted by nutttr View Post

Now...since the oil change I've been leaking more oil from the rocker covers than before... Because I cleaned up everything under the engine when doing water pump, etc the oil has no neat path to flow down, so now is dripping.

The rocker cover is a strange arrangement, it uses a fixed length bolt and rubber grommets on the bolts, to squeeze the gasket down.

Turns out these rubber grommets Haven't been replaced in a long time and are like little rocks, providing VERY little force to hold the cover down on the seal... So I'm $40 poorer for new Topran grommets (30 of them when I only need 16, bit never mind) and $10 for Belleville washers... Apparently this is a little hack that should keep the pressure on longer...
                            Since others might eventually read this and try and replicate this fix... It definitely helped stem the oil leaks from the rocker cover, but has definitely not stopped it. It is now only a drip or so every day... It doesn't leak enough that the oil levels don't go down between changes, so it's staying like this...

Installed the 88deg thermostat, works perfectly, fit well and doesn't leak.

So we took a drive with the lockdown and all... Had some fun 4wding

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210912_025512232~2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	5.34 MB
ID:	7294092

Comment

Working...
                            X