1995 4runner RV6 - Norbie bought a fourby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1995 4runner RV6 - Norbie bought a fourby

I honestly never thought this day would come, but today's impulse purchase was one of those 4WD things. On the plus side it's a 90s shitbox, and it's pretty rad:

I know next to nothing about vehicles like this, but I go on the occasional camping trip on the beach at Bribie Island and I'm sick of hitching a ride with friends, so I wanted something I can drive myself. So the requirements were proper 4WD with low range, diff locker or LSD, appropriate tyres, and enough power to get through the sand without bogging down. Oh and also not be too expensive because I don't do this sort of thing very often and it only might get used once or twice a year, and I might decide it's a dumb idea altogether and on-sell it in a year or so, who knows.

Anyway this one doesn't have a gutless 4 cylinder petrol or diesel, it's a 3.0L petrol V6. Behold the mighty 3VZ-E:

It's no powerhouse but it gets along OK and certainly had no trouble keeping up with traffic. Whether it will be good enough on the sand remains to be seen.

Interior isn't too bad considering it has nearly 400k on the clock:

The A/C doesn't work and the heater has been bypassed but these things are to be expected when you buy a 25 year old shitbox for $5k.

Overall it's a pretty sweet rig for what I paid, and it will be nice to have something with a towbar and a decent cargo area for dump runs etc. Plus the paint is half fucked already so I won't care where I park it or what happens to it.

I bought it off a couple of blokes who looked like former carnies who got fired for being too dumb for carny work, and they told me all sorts of stories like how they got the engine fully rebuilt just a couple of months ago and it's better than new now. Even a cursory glance told me that was total bullshit (which was obvious from the asking price anyway), but the engine does actually seem to run pretty well despite the numerous dodgy patch up jobs all over the engine bay. So I'll have my work cut out for me sorting that out - I'll get a complete set of new hoses, water pump, timing kit, replacement radiator (or maybe a recore), seals and gaskets, all the usual stuff. There are a lot of questionable wires that I need to sort out, and I suspect the tailshaft centre bearing is on the way out. Brakes and suspension will need a full inspection and no doubt a few things will need replacing. All the usual stuff when you buy a shitbox, I was prepared for this!

My next camping trip is less than 4 weeks away so I'd better get cracking!

(And I'll try not to get too distracted by thoughts of turbo upgrades and/or engine conversions. I'll try very hard.)
    Last edited by Norbie; 28-06-21, 04:14 PM.
    Norbie!

was that you out in the centur in gippsland on sat? black century wih flags on front guards, about 4pm near warragul?
    I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...
    WANTED: HOLDEN CALIBRA - WHAT YA GOT?
    robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

nice pickup, i reckon these are a pretty good thing.

1UZ fits real easy FYI
      Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
      And I’ve explained many times this is not just another four year election.

The outcome will determine civilisation as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post
        was that you out in the centur in gippsland on sat? black century wih flags on front guards, about 4pm near warragul?
        Nah not me, I don't have flags on mine.
        Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by lysdexia View Post
          nice pickup, i reckon these are a pretty good thing.
          I reckon they could be, not sure if mine is yet.

Originally posted by lysdexia View Post
          1UZ fits real easy FYI
          Hmm, tell me more...
          Norbie!

Comment

1uz bellhousing onto the original box, make some engine mounts, wire it

Comment

Sounds easy enough, but some bloke on Facebook is trying to tell me the engine will be too far forward and it won't fit. Time to get the measuring tape out I guess!
              Norbie!

Comment

Change name to Forbie!

Comment

Got to love that sidewall on 15's ...

Comment

You have to love it, buys a running 4wd that you'll use sparingly and investigating a conversion before the day is out

Comment

3rz + turbo is my suggestion

Comment

can def 1uz. a mate had one with that conversion - as said, bell housing and some mounts - i think marks adaptors or CRS make mounts.
                        I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...
                        WANTED: HOLDEN CALIBRA - WHAT YA GOT?
                        robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Congrats on the new Toyota, mate

1UZ conversions are common over here, and reasonably simple affairs as already said above.

What is the difference between a 4 runner, and a Surf? I always thought that 4 runner was just the Seppo name for them?

Comment

Despite the name, the Surf had a Japanese snowfields sized radiator. Caused many cooked engines when they were grey imports into WA a decade ago.
                            Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
                              What is the difference between a 4 runner, and a Surf? I always thought that 4 runner was just the Seppo name for them?
                              4runner is petrol (mostly v6, though there are 4 cylinders too) and is generally pretty poverty pack spec

surf is turbo diesel and is full of electric wankery that breaks

Comment

Working...
                              X