No announcement yet.

1995 4runner RV6 - Norbie bought a fourby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I haven't forgotten about the output flange, that will certainly be dealt with as soon as possible.
    Norbie!

Comment

The hilarity continues. I got the tailshaft back with a replacement uni, but before re-installing it I decided to replace the seal in the output of the transfer case which was leaking a bit. After pulling the old seal out (and wrecking it in the process) I spent about an hour trying to hammer the new one in. I eventually grew a brain and measured old vs new seal... and yep, the new seal was 2mm too large. Faaark!!!

Today's mission is to visit the local bearing supply shop and see if they have a matching seal. If not I'm kinda screwed - I'm leaving for my camping trip first thing tomorrow!
      Norbie!

Comment

Can also give your local stealership a go with a part number
        The Slowly IS300

Comment

Luckily the bearing shop was able to help us out. They didn't have an exact match, the original seal was surprisingly thick but they found one that was exactly half the thickness so two of them stacked together works nicely. I got it installed without any trouble, put the tailshaft back in and went for an uneventful test drive. No drivetrain vibration and no catastrophic failure. I call that a win!

One last job before loading up with camping gear - I was a bit worried about the heavy fuel consumption combined with the smallish 65L tank leaving me stranded on the beach, so I bought a jerry can and a mounting bracket. I made use of some existing captive nuts in the cargo area and added a couple of nutserts as well, some old swaybar bushes for cushioning (yes they're falling apart already), and voila:

That bumps up my fuel capacity to 85L, I hope that's enough!

Anyway I'm heading off at 7am tomorrow. Wish me luck, I'll need it!
          Norbie!

Comment

Have a great trip!
            6L FD3S RX7
            GR Supra
            Jeeps JK, CJ7, WK2

Comment

Thanks! I just got back, and it was indeed a great trip. I'm pleased to report the 4runner performed flawlessly and exceeded all expectations. It handled the sand on Bribie Island so effortlessly that I soon realised I could just leave it in 2WD most of the time, just popping it into 4WD once in a while when I encountered some very soft sand. The drive up to the camp site was an amazing experience, the sand was hard and smooth the whole way, in fact it was legitimately smoother than the highway I took to get there! I got it up to 100 on a few occasions with no issues whatsoever but most of the time I was just cruising along at 60 or so, like this:

The weather was just about perfect as you can see, low 20's and sunny all day. Our camp site looked like this, not a bad way to live:

And here's the fourby doing fourby things like it's no big deal:

Like I said there were no issues at all, it ran smoothly on the highway with barely a hint of drivetrain vibration, and I never even needed to use the jerry can - in fact I made it all the way home on the tank I filled up just before crossing over to Bribie on Saturday morning. I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome - well, that's not true, I'd be more pleased if it had a 1UZ in it.

I'm thinking there will be plenty more 4x4 adventures in the near future to justify my puchase. First things first though, I need this thing to make obnoxious V8 noises, and I need it now!
              Norbie!

Comment

Good stuff mate.

Looks like a nice spot you found yourself there too

Comment

i like the dedication to keep pF informed the night before you go away at 7am the next day.

Comment

Damn that looks like a good way to spend a weekend.
                    6L FD3S RX7
                    GR Supra
                    Jeeps JK, CJ7, WK2

Comment

I have to admit it wasn't bad.

Although to fit in with the rest of the crowd I saw there I think I need to buy a $100k Landcruiser and throw another $100k worth of mods and accessories at it?
                      Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
                        I have to admit it wasn't bad.

Although to fit in with the rest of the crowd I saw there I think I need to buy a $100k Landcruiser and throw another $100k worth of mods and accessories at it?
                        And then be over GVM and always be looking for ways to dodge the weighbridges.
                        Chris
                        ------
                        The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
                        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post

And then be over GVM and always be looking for ways to dodge the weighbridges.
                          I thought being perpetually bogged or breaking shit approximately 200m further down the track from the stock ones. And then driven past by people in lighter simpler vehicles
                          ---
                          Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post

I thought being perpetually bogged or breaking shit approximately 200m further down the track from the stock ones. And then driven past by people in lighter simpler vehicles
                            Por que no los dos?
                            Chris
                            ------
                            The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
                            I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

On the second evening of my camping trip I was challenged to get the 4runner into the camp site over the soft sand in 2WD only. It took a few goes but I got there (just) and as it happens the whole thing was caught on video:

After that I celebrated my victory in the classiest way I know how:

I felt PF would approve.
                              Norbie!

Comment

Haha excellent work mate! V6 mang needs to be addressed asap though
                                The Slowly IS300

Comment

Working...
                                X