No announcement yet.

1995 4runner RV6 - Norbie bought a fourby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I haven't forgotten about the output flange, that will certainly be dealt with as soon as possible.
    Norbie!

Comment

The hilarity continues. I got the tailshaft back with a replacement uni, but before re-installing it I decided to replace the seal in the output of the transfer case which was leaking a bit. After pulling the old seal out (and wrecking it in the process) I spent about an hour trying to hammer the new one in. I eventually grew a brain and measured old vs new seal... and yep, the new seal was 2mm too large. Faaark!!!

Today's mission is to visit the local bearing supply shop and see if they have a matching seal. If not I'm kinda screwed - I'm leaving for my camping trip first thing tomorrow!
      Norbie!

Comment

Can also give your local stealership a go with a part number
        The Slowly IS300

Comment

Luckily the bearing shop was able to help us out. They didn't have an exact match, the original seal was surprisingly thick but they found one that was exactly half the thickness so two of them stacked together works nicely. I got it installed without any trouble, put the tailshaft back in and went for an uneventful test drive. No drivetrain vibration and no catastrophic failure. I call that a win!

One last job before loading up with camping gear - I was a bit worried about the heavy fuel consumption combined with the smallish 65L tank leaving me stranded on the beach, so I bought a jerry can and a mounting bracket. I made use of some existing captive nuts in the cargo area and added a couple of nutserts as well, some old swaybar bushes for cushioning (yes they're falling apart already), and voila:

That bumps up my fuel capacity to 85L, I hope that's enough!

Anyway I'm heading off at 7am tomorrow. Wish me luck, I'll need it!
          Norbie!

Comment

Have a great trip!
            6L FD3S RX7
            GR Supra
            Jeeps JK, CJ7, WK2

Comment

Working...
            X