Blue haze

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forks done, heavier springs, custom valving with rebound on one leg and compression on the other. Non stiction oil and new seals.
    Lower legs vapour blasted as you can see in the first pic was pretty grubby.
    Attached Files

Comment

This is coming together real nice.
      Randy De Puniet has had more crashes than any other rider in the history of Grand Prix motorcycle racing.

Comment

Started assembly of the cylinder heads and installing vertex pistons. As with the standard pistons they have a pin in the ring groove so the gaps stay clocked in a certain position. Which after looking is away from the exhaust port.
        BC engineering gear is great except for the pv collars, the 4mm holes look like they are drilled slightly off centre so the pin that joins through both pv's and collars won't go through. Took one side of each collar out to 4.5mm and fits well with no play.
        Attached Files

Comment

Here is a good comparison shot of standard power valve and BC engineering one. You can see the roll pins in the standard one on the right. This is the achilles heel of the vj22.
          The internets state they went through 3 generations. The first had a small pin about 4mm I think. The second had a slightly larger pin, then finally this design which is two pins.
          They are all still prone to bending or shearing and putting debris or the power valve blade into the chamber.
          The second pic shows how the hole has become elongated over the years and approx 38k assuming these are the original items.
          Attached Files

Comment

How much did the fork job cost?
            www.markpakula.com
            2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
            2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
            2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
            2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

Comment

Originally posted by trent from punchy View Post
              How much did the fork job cost?
              $500

Comment

Wheels and swingarm done.
                Attached Files

Comment

Installing the swingarm is by screwing in a hollow pivot bolt until it makes contact with the dust seals that sit outside the swingarm needle roller bearings. Then torque the pivot shaft to 85 - 115 nm. After that torque up the pivot nut to 70nm.
                  30mm pivot nut tool is about $50 plus postage so made this up out of a washer and a socket adapter I have never used.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yup. You're totally going to finish this before I finish the Mito.
                    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
                      Yup. You're totally going to finish this before I finish the Mito.
                      Maybe. ....how about a build thread?

Comment

Engine screwed together and getting another batch of stuff together to be powder coated. All the shiny stuff makes the rest look ordinary now.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MVLUV View Post
                          Maybe. ....how about a build thread?
                          I have suffered a crippling bout of CBF and can't be fucked sorting a new image host, so all my build threads are dead. I also cbf'd replicating the Mito's thread here. it exists on another forum or two, but the images are broken.
                          As an example, I had the engine out of the bike yesterday, to discover the carb clearance issue I thought I had isn't actually an issue. sigh.
                          "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Chin up and all...
                            Its threads like your alfa rebuild that make me think anything is possible in the backyard.

So as stuff gets cleaned/ painted/ replaced with aftermarket hotness what is left tends to look worse than what it originally did. Among other things I wanted to remove the top triple clamp for a coat of satin black. Turns out the ignition assembly is screwed from under, then the bolt heads are twisted off for better security .(This information was supplied by a rgv forum member as I was stumped as to what they were.)
                            So I centre punched and drilled a 2mm pilot hole then a 8mm got the rest of the bolt head.
                            When I reassemble I'll just use cap screws or bolts as it will only do hard parking and no carpark duties.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ever since I did my squish measurements I have been concerned. I was aiming for 0.9mm after installing 1.4mm base gaskets and ordering inserts to suit.
                              Accross both cylinders I have 1.25 to 1.3mm consistently after doing 4 measurements on each cylinder.
                              I am not chasing 70hp but I don't want to give away any power when I can just change to 1mm base gaskets and land in the 0.8 - 0.9mm range.
                              Any comment or opinions welcome as to what the potential gains are reducing the squish to the above numbers. Cheers

Comment

I presume you are using the solder method? Use a thinner solder and I bet you get a different result.

Read through this carefully

http://twostrokeperformance.com.au/m...ish-clearance/

Comment

Working...
                                X