Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue haze

Around 2013 I wanted to do something a little more productive than watching tv after the family went to bed at night. It only amounted to about 1-2 hours a few nights a week, but over the weeks and months this is a significant amount of time to tick some boxes that I had been wanting to tick.
    I have allways had a modern bike and wanted something older to tinker with. A yamaha tx500 came up for the right $ with a heap of parts, being a non desirable old bike with little money into it so far I thought if I lose interest or fuck it up it will not be a great loss.
    So to cut a long story short, after about 14 months I had it running and registered and thoroughly enjoyed the journey.
    This led to wanting to do another project, I was looking for a xs650 but it isn't all that different from the 500 so I started looking at 2 strokes. I looked at RG, RZ, RD, RS, RGV but not too many around and most asking crazy money. The bike below came up and I was interested as it was the same model (VJ22) I owned between 1994 and 1998.
    I was also keen as it had a Tyga rear end on it and it was a late model 7/98.
    The late year hopefully meant it had the more robust roll pins in the centre power valve.

More pics to come
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice. I really, really miss my RGV. Cunt of a thing dropped the powervalve last time I rode it when I was home last year. Found a mob in italy with billet steel or ally PVs. Cheaper than the cougar reds at the tuning works. I'll dig a link up later.
      '71 Honda Dax CT70
      '74 MR50
      '84 323i Stroker. Needs CPR.
      '85 KX125
      '91 RS125R Honda
      '96 RGV
      '98 RMX - buy this bloody thing, please.
      '03 4Runner 2UZ fuglyprado
      '01 XR50
      '02 KX250
      '02 VTR1000 SP2
      '05 KLX 110

Comment

These pics show the state of the PV's before and after cleaning. This was the first thing I did when I got it home. I was glad to see it has the larger roll pins and after a clean up they looked pretty good to me.
        This thread is also shamelessly to get info from people more knowledgeable than myself so any comments are welcome.
        The billet PV link would be handy as I was going to go the cougar red option.
        Attached Files

Comment

I had a 22 as well.

Also dropped a power valve at philip island (into turn 2) of all places

what sort of riding are you planning on doing?

if you're willing to do a lot of reading. read this entire thread;
          http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...s-engine-tuner
          a lot of priceless information in it
          '01 RS125
          '01 CR500
          '05 CR250
          '07 CR125
          '70 Mk2 Cortina
          '80 1200 Ute
          '12 Transit

Comment

This will be a street bike, occasional runs up Mt Glorious and general cafe posing. It may get a run at a track day for curiosities sake but I have a GSXR 750 which is great for the track.
            Thanks for the link, will check it out.

Comment

https://m.facebook.com/BCEngineeringItaly/ these are the guys with the power valves. Scroll down a bit :-)
              '71 Honda Dax CT70
              '74 MR50
              '84 323i Stroker. Needs CPR.
              '85 KX125
              '91 RS125R Honda
              '96 RGV
              '98 RMX - buy this bloody thing, please.
              '03 4Runner 2UZ fuglyprado
              '01 XR50
              '02 KX250
              '02 VTR1000 SP2
              '05 KLX 110

Comment

Awesome. Iíve been having a sneaky look around for an RGV to park in the shed myself.
                Originally posted by S
                I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

Comment

Ive also had the urge for a smoker. Good pickup.

Comment

Here is a pic of the Yamaha I did 2013-15.
                    Attached Files

Comment

now that is sweet

Comment

Have done nothing with this thing except start and give it a bit of a rev once a month. Also bying some bits and pieces. We are due to move back into our reno'd house in 3 weeks.
                        Since Feb my bikes have been in a not so weatherproof car port.Click image for larger version

Name:	20160923_163616 (Custom).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	6605279
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20160923_162838 (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	6605278
                        Still getting a plan together of what the finished product look will be. I have a question for those in the know, I want to get rid of the battery and run a capacitor. Is it possible with road legal lights? Also if I run a Koso guage with isolation switch to turn on once running will the koso lose memory as in tyre diameter settings during setup?

Comment

Cool thread!
                          Originally posted by thebluerx7
                          The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

I recently found my RGV fairings under the house in good nick other than being sanded back for paint. What are they worth?
                            Originally posted by Dimi
                            80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
                            Originally posted by schnitzelburger
                            My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Comment

Wreckers usually ask $150+ for undamaged individual panels from what I have seen. I would expect around $100 per panel is reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                              X