Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last day off means more bike play....

Still de gunking, the chain slider thing was covered in it, so it's always nice to see it come up clean and branded:

which gave me access to clean up the swing arm

and it's back on and clean

The fairings are in decent shape, but a few marks here and there. Some touch up paint will make this good as new.

and since the wheel is off, i spent most of the evening cleaning 8 years of gunk off.
    I thought they were matte, but some scratch-X and polish makes them shine quite nicely.

now we wait for the new chain to arrive.
    www.markpakula.com
    2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
    2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
    2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
    2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

Comment

Going good man, like the wheel colour and they came up awesome. FYI chains and sprockets wear together so if you're doing one you should probably do the other too.
      Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

That's the theory, but the chain didn't look too bad, it was only cus it was sitting for a year and is rusty that I decided to swap it.
        Sprockets look mint.
        www.markpakula.com

Comment

The OE Brembo's are decent from all accounts, Brembo radial mount 4 pot (and 4 pad) calipers x2, big Brembo 320mm drilled rotors, and Brembo OE (sintered) pads.

Pulling the pads out it easy, 2 bolts, a couple of ABS clips, the locking pin and out they come. Can be done in a race I guess.

Brake dust seems to get everywhere, and if the pistons aren't super clean, can get sticky, not what you want.

So out comes the brake cleaner spray, and some wire brushes.

lots of scrubbing and hmmm I'm in two minds.
          I feel like I want to take them apart and give it a proper clean with new seals.

These are the OE pads I think:

Will probably go with the SA sintered Brembo version, significantly cheaper than the actual OE ones.
          • SA sintered compound intended specifically for front brakes, typified by particularly good efficiency under all operating conditions. An ideal alternative to OE pads.only for front calipers

But for the rears there are a couple of options, sintered and organic too.
          Is it ok to mix? Sintered front and Organic rear?
          www.markpakula.com

Comment

Originally posted by trent from punchy View Post
            But for the rears there are a couple of options, sintered and organic too.
            Is it ok to mix? Sintered front and Organic rear?
            Yeah, it's fine to mix. You are unlikely to work the rear hard enough to notice the difference.
            "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Don't forget these things have auto rear braking, so each time you pull the front handle, the rear brake is applied a bit too.
              www.markpakula.com

Comment

The rear brakes aren't applied at anywhere near the same force as the fronts though.

Also be careful the first time you ride it because those brembo can be pretty nasty if you grab a handful of front brake and you're not prepared.

Comment

Yup, doing it in my driveway showed me that, just a tiny little squeeze was more braking force than my Honda at full grab.
                  www.markpakula.com

Comment

The bike came with a Carbon Fibre pillion seat cover, that fits ok.

sure is light though.

When I plan to rego it, it will need a blue slip, and I want it registered in standard spec as a two seater.

So previously owner kept the OE seat, and included it in the deal.
                    A quick swap of the bracket and lock mechanism, and all is well.

It's obviously a lot heavier, but anyone sitting on it will surely appreciate the padding.

Luckily it has the standard tool kit too.
                    www.markpakula.com

Comment

FYI those sweet levers you have are BMW HP levers - approx $500 option apparently.

Comment

I don't think they are official BMW products, I found the brand and it's a more affordable Taiwanese brand, they feel nice and solid though.
                        www.markpakula.com

Comment

The chain finally arrived.
                          There are quite a few options for chains, the OEM one is some bulgarian brand, and aren't all that popular or highly regarded.
                          Chains should be changed regularly, so I guess BMW didn't want to waste money on a high end one.

The spec is a 525 which determines the width basically. Quite a few of the race guys (or hardcore streeters) go down to a 520, which is a fair bit lighter (and the corresponding sprockets) than the stock size.
                          Again, I'm not out to run 8s, so wanted to keep it smooth and reliable, so stock size it is.
                          I'm a fan of Japanese engineering, so went with a high end (because it's a litre bike) D.I.D chain.

Best price was a gold one from Amazon US, and took a couple of weeks to arrive. I didn't specifically want a gold coloured one, but I like the look now and think it works well with the shock and forks, which are both in bling gold from factory.

Before the chain was on I had to reinstall the rear wheel, which is always a little tricky the first time you do it on a new bike.

I wasn't 100% sure which way all these parts went, but as I took photos of the unbolting process, it was pretty easy to figure out, and everything just fits right once you try anyway.

Got all the gunk off the axel adjusters too

and cleaned up the rear brakes

The chain comes with 120 pins, and only 118 are needed on the S1000RR, so grind one link off and we are golden.

The master link is a rivet type, and my chain tool isn't ideal, it was fine on the small 425 chain on the old Honda, but too small here, so I think I'll order the D.I.D chain tool too.

She's on, but not locked. No rush, am waiting for other parts to arrive anyway.
                          www.markpakula.com

Comment

Just make sure you don't forget about that link. I did years ago on my old 600RR after putting a new DID chain on, went out for a ride and the chain somehow hung together until about 800m from home. 800m is a long way to walk in leathers rolling a bike mostly uphill in the middle of summer I can tell you.

Have you sold the baby RR yet?
                            Originally posted by Dimi
                            80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
                            Originally posted by schnitzelburger
                            My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Comment

Yup, it will be in the garage for a couple of months yet.
                              But yes, will ensure I close it up.

Yup, RR sold 2 months ago, first guy came, loved it, threw cash at me so he took it on the spot.
                              www.markpakula.com

Comment

She's getting a little dusty sitting in the garage all alone.

Finally, the D.I.D. chain tool arrived from Amazon US (cheaper than eBay) and it was time to lock the links in place.

The master link needs to be pushed through the rivets, and then each of the rivets needs their heads locked individually.

Not a difficult process with the right tool, and the D.I.D. tool is a champ. 27mm ring spanner and 19mm socket means it's a solid lever.

Then you make sure you have flared the rivets enough to lock it in:

check the tension is within spec: 30-40mm

and aligned both sides:

spin it up and she's good to go:
                                www.markpakula.com

Comment

Working...
                                X