Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ducati 748S

As the RGV is *done I have been on the lookout for another project. The list was pretty wide from a rigid pre unit triumph through to another 2T NSR, RZ, RS.
    Everything I have looked at in the last 6 months was too far gone or way too expensive and sometimes both.
    Ducati and MV's were also on the radar but the ones that did it for me were well out of price range and parts cost killed any candidates that needed significant work.

This 748 popped up and got my interest as it was advertised as an SP, was running and ridable and had carbon fairings.

I had always wanted a Tamburini designed Ducati since watching Fogarty, Corser, Bayliss etc in WSB and since a friend of mine purchased one of these new in 2001

More info to come.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Hmmmm, and I had a Daytona you could have played with......

Very nice bike. I have always like the big dukes from the late 70 and beyond.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

I love these older dukes

Comment

Originally posted by PXL265 View Post
        Hmmmm, and I had a Daytona you could have played with......

Very nice bike. I have always like the big dukes from the late 70 and beyond.

Daytona is not eligible for club Rego in 2021.

Comment

Overall condition is pretty tired but the only things that are broken are the fuse block mount and some light damage to the fairing.

Most of the fasteners are in a poor state.

And the frame will need powder coating, so will go with the dark grey of the later models.

Also have a set of 5 spoke machesinis that will be the same colour as the frame.

Comment

Should be a nice restoration, relatively easy in parts chasing, but frustrating in getting stuff done exactly the way you want....

Oh, and the Daytona being a stat write off would be track only, and you need a track bike, the Ducati would be too nice to bin on the track.....

And you can never have too many bikes....

Comment

So good!
              Loved the 90s dukes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PXL265 View Post
                Should be a nice restoration, relatively easy in parts chasing, but frustrating in getting stuff done exactly the way you want....

Oh, and the Daytona being a stat write off would be track only, and you need a track bike, the Ducati would be too nice to bin on the track.....

And you can never have too many bikes....

I admire your persistence but I have a track bike.

Comment

I know who you bought that from - I also know where there's a real 748SP (Alloy subframe, Ohlins shock, hotter cams, lighter flywheel, more compression, Iron Floaters) complete but in bits for a pittance. It's sub 10,000km old too.
                  While that one has the iron floaters, it doesn't have the other bits that make it a SP (well, short of cracking the engine open to have a look)
                  "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

It's definitely not an SP. I thought you would know the bike as he seems to have several Bimota's around too.
                    Please tell more regarding the SP.

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
                      I know who you bought that from - I also know where there's a real 748SP (Alloy subframe, Ohlins shock, hotter cams, lighter flywheel, more compression, Iron Floaters) complete but in bits for a pittance. It's sub 10,000km old too.
                      ohhh you donít say....
                      Originally posted by S
                      I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

Comment

P.S Nice pick man.
                        Originally posted by S
                        I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

Comment

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
                            ohhh you donít say....
                            Messaged you on bookface

These little 748s are supposed to be great fun, I was about to buy the 748SP I mentioned above, but something else has popped up that I want even more.
                            I hope you're going to do the belts as the first course of action! Apparently setting the squish up properly, and timing in the cams is worth 5-10hp on these things. Anyway, keen to see what you do with it.

You may even have seen my next project while you were there!
                            "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
                              Messaged you on bookface

These little 748s are supposed to be great fun, I was about to buy the 748SP I mentioned above, but something else has popped up that I want even more.
                              I hope you're going to do the belts as the first course of action! Apparently setting the squish up properly, and timing in the cams is worth 5-10hp on these things. Anyway, keen to see what you do with it.

You may even have seen my next project while you were there!
                              I reckon I know which one

Comment

Working...
                              X