Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fkn lol!
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Was clearing some stuff out last night, found a 916/748 brake pedal and master mounting bracket - all yours if you want them.
      "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Perfect, I'll take the rear lever as mine is bent.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice thing,

although not sure a genuine 748s? The Aussie ones came plated as a 748S but it was S for "strada" My nopics has a genuine 748S that was an English import (her step dad owned it and brought it here...now runs an 853 kit through it) Only a couple of minor differences.. didn't have the tri spoke wheels but came with marchesinis standard. Ohlins rear maybe? Can't remember the other tweaks off the top of my head... But happy to do a dig if you are interested in the info...

Comment

Originally posted by darkside View Post
            Nice thing,

although not sure a genuine 748s? The Aussie ones came plated as a 748S but it was S for "strada" My nopics has a genuine 748S that was an English import (her step dad owned it and brought it here...now runs an 853 kit through it) Only a couple of minor differences.. didn't have the tri spoke wheels but came with marchesinis standard. Ohlins rear maybe? Can't remember the other tweaks off the top of my head... But happy to do a dig if you are interested in the info...
            Definitely interested in more info. The faded sticker on the frame says 748S. The tail section is not carbon and looks OEM so assumed it was a monoposto S model. I should also mention it is a Japanese import.
            Have read good things about the 853 kit.

Comment

So had a chat with the father in law. Couple of things he is aware of. The S has the adjustable head angle of the R. Also has the R triple clamps. They are different to the Aussie ďSĒ as I managed to crack the ones on it not having the torque wrench set right. Ordered replacements from Frasers for an S and they didnít fit. Ordered R triples and they were a perfect match. Also has the quick release fittings on the fuel lines under the tank. Had the marchesinis standard as mentioned as was available to order as a single or double (biposto) seater.

Pic of the underside of the triples.

And from the top

And the whole bike in the wild. Had a spare set of fairings so did one set with custom 853 logos.

Comment

Some further investigation shows adjustable steerer and the upper and lower triples look the same to me?

Here is the faded sticker on the frame.

I also recently watched a YouTube clip on the 916 and the presenter mentioned that the bikes were a little inconsistent with their parts and spec during this era.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

I reckon you are on to a winner. Well played. I think it was mainly the aust domestic market that didnít get them. They seemed to despec the bike the get the entry level bike as affordable as possible and then jump to the eye wateringly expensive R model. Such a good looking design and so easy to work on. Fairings, seat unit and fuel tank off in minutes. Try that on a modern Ducati superbike.

Comment

Nice thing,

Originally posted by MVLUV View Post
                    Definitely interested in more info. The faded sticker on the frame says 748S. The tail section is not carbon and looks OEM so assumed it was a monoposto S model. I should also mention it is a Japanese import.
                    Have read good things about the 853 kit.
                    Darkside - your 748S is a much later bike (post 2000) - from the 996 period (65mm brembos with the 4 pad is a big give away - the early bikes have 40mm brembos). Those Marchesinis are actually made by Brembo (from memory), and are alloy, not the Mag Marchesinis that the hotter bikes got (identifiable by not having the styling grooves in the flanks of the spokes). Anyway - the late 748s came in 3 Varieties - straight 748 or "E" with no adjustable steering head, 748S and 748R (and well, 748 RS).

The early bikes like this one came as 748 Biposto, 748SP and 748SPS (SPS got Pankle rods). The OEM monopostos had the OEM alloy subframe, but the monoposto seat unit fits. Vin plate will have 748S* - that only indicates it's a SuperSports - Bipostos, SPs and SPSs all had the 748S* as the model. All of the early 748s got the adjustable steering head.
                    (I went full anorak when I was looking at buying the SPS)

Anyway, i'll dig the pedal and bracket out for you.

Comment

Gamma,

seems you are all over it. This bike is a 2000. I put the 2 pad brembos on it same as the ones that came stock on my 998s. Straight bolt on and much improved performance. But good spotto. The marchesinis on it are off an R model so are the forged light jobbies, but it did come with 5 spoke marchesinis stock. Just not the fancy ones. Father in law bought it new in the UK so have some feel for how it came from factory. Wasn't sure on weather the adjustable steering head angle was across all models. Also it did come with the showa rear. The ohlins was added.

MV, I have some random parts around. Will pack it all up and throw in the container coming to Brisbane. There might be something helpful to you in there.

Pic of biposto seat that came on it.

Comment

Thanks gamma, you anorak well. Did some digging re wheels after I purchased them and it seems brembo own marchesini. I was confused when I saw the brembo casting on the wheels.

Comment

Thanks also darkside, any parts appreciated. Your FIL's bike looks like it is great condition.

Comment

Gamma,

seems you are all over it. This bike is a 2000. I put the 2 pad brembos on it same as the ones that came stock on my 998s. Straight bolt on and much improved performance. But good spotto. The marchesinis on it are off an R model so are the forged light jobbies, but it did come with 5 spoke marchesinis stock. Just not the fancy ones.
                            The R model 5 spokes are lighter than the cooking model 5 spokes, but they're not hugely different. They started life as the same piece as the non R model 5 spoke, but they got some extra machining between the spokes - the R model wheels are about 1kg lighter for the pair, and you can identify them by the fact that the machining stops and starts either side of the valve stem, so the original profile of the wheel is still there at the valve.
                            The non R model 5 spokes are about 1kg lighter each compared to the 3 spokes.
                            I may have gone hunting for info on wheel weights as part of the going full anorak... lol
                            Having a much harder time finding actual weights for the wheel options for the new project...

Comment

Sooo much Anorak 😂. Excellent detective work though as itís hard to get reliable info on this stuff. So no clues on the new project ?

Comment

Sooo much Anorak 😂. Excellent detective work though as itís hard to get reliable info on this stuff. So no clues on the new project ?
                                Yeah, I went Full Irsa76 on it. lol.

There are clues floating around the internet, but all will be revealed once it's in the shed.

Comment

Working...
                                X