Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GXS 750 - resto project

Well I've finally bitten the bullet and gotten a new (to me) bike after being bike-less for about 8 years

I'm now the proud owner of a 1980 GSX 750. It's a fixer-upper so it'll be a while until I'm back on the road but it'll be a fun process getting her back up & running.

Here she is in all her glory:

The plan is to end up looking something similar to this:

Plan is to just get it running and source missing parts (front calipers, instrument cluster) then trim the seat and paint the tank & panels.

I love the look of the bike on the beach but don't think a light as small as that will the registerable here. Will most likely go a round light (or possibly keep factory - will depend on the cluster I get). Also I want the seat to be practical so instread of a full café racer style seat I'll go something similar to this:

Then ditch the factory taillight (as it's massive) and go some small round flush mount LEDs - mounted in something similar to the below setup:

Current plan for paint is a dark metallic blue for the guards & side panels then a dark silver with red & blue stripes. I have NOS badges for the tank so want it to look like it could have been a factory Suzuki scheme.
    don't ask to ride my bike and i won't ask if i can shag your missus

I have a set of GSX front calipers.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Also, these look epic with the seat shortened and the stock tail light.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	1272241_551815768201771_1391929195_o_zps7a90b8a3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	6619595
      "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
        I have a set of GSX front calipers.
        Fuck yeah!!! What would you want for them?

I was thinking if I had to purchase I'd try to see if I can get something more modern to fit but less fucking around sounds so much better....

That pic below looks awesome too. I like the idea of being able to pillion someone though.

Comment

Also have a GSX1100 alloy swinger hanging in the shed - will have to check if it's the twisted one.
          If you want to upgrade brake wise, I designed a kit that uses SV650 calipers and VFR800 300mm discs that bolts straight on (well, with brackets).
          Slot a stock front disc onto the rear - exact same size, but 500gm lighter or somthing stupid too.
          Let me dig out what I've got and I'll PM you

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
            Also have a GSX1100 alloy swinger hanging in the shed - will have to check if it's the twisted one.
            If you want to upgrade brake wise, I designed a kit that uses SV650 calipers and VFR800 300mm discs that bolts straight on (well, with brackets).
            Slot a stock front disc onto the rear - exact same size, but 500gm lighter or somthing stupid too.
            Let me dig out what I've got and I'll PM you
            Legend - cheers mate!!

Comment

Well slight hiccup with the brakes in that the calipers didn't fit

I've sourced the R hand one out of the states, just on the hunt for a L (worst case scenario the L one is somehow still available from Suzuki new as a genuine part).

Looks like the seat re-trim is out of the question as my seat pan as rusted to buggery (apparently common as on these) so I'll be going a scrambler style bench seat.

Comment

Originally posted by dillyboy View Post
                Well slight hiccup with the brakes in that the calipers didn't fit

I've sourced the R hand one out of the states, just on the hunt for a L (worst case scenario the L one is somehow still available from Suzuki new as a genuine part).

Looks like the seat re-trim is out of the question as my seat pan as rusted to buggery (apparently common as on these) so I'll be going a scrambler style bench seat.
                Left hand one should be easy to find - same as GN250 according to the parts fische!
                Sorry that those calipers didn't fit - who'd have thought there was a single year GSX750 with unique calipers!

Comment

LH caliper sourced & on its way from NZ!

Comment

I pulled apart the seat today to see if it was salvageable & with a re-trim & re-shape.

I'd say the pan is pretty much cactus:

Love the random plywood repair...…

So definitely an eBay seat job now. Am thinking a cheapy to test fit then re-cover that if need be. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universa...0762ad01a547f2

Comment

Wow that seat base really is past its used by date.

Comment

Looks like I lost a few posts in the forum shenanigans....

I now have two front calipers & the HEL lines should arrive Monday!! I've bought a heap of new cam cover bolts (most were missing) and gave to get new tacho input assembly (all still available from Suzuki).

eBay spec seat arrived yesterday - just sitting in place I think I like it but am concerned it may look too small once everything is trimmed off:

Also new headlight arrived - I went a 6.5"

Looks big in the photo but its about a foot closer to the camera than the stock light

Comment

Was bored this arvo so started pulling off bits.

Light, rear plastics & indicators all gone:

Was considering Gammaboys look in the pic above:

(I've a 53cm seat which I think may be too short - will also get a 63cm one then decide where to cut once I have both....)

My HEL lines arrived so I now have front brakes!!!!

Comment

Finally pulled my finger out and spent some time this arvo checking if the engine will turn over and everything move as it should but hit a pretty major hurdle straight away

Took the cam cover off & noticed that each of the camshafts aren't bolted down at one end :o I'd say someone has used this as a parts bike at some stage!!!!!

The little semicircle bracket without a part no. between 5&6 is what I need...... (as well as 2 each of 5 & 6 I guess)

I called Mick Hone in Melbourne & they said these won't be a separate part & will be part of the head itself *FUCK*

So I either need a spare head or see if I can get someone to machine me something up.........
                            Last edited by dillyboy; 02-12-19, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Cam lobes look rusty?.

Comment

Working...
                              X