1980 GXS 750 - resto project

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it has sat for fuck knows how long ....

I bit the bullet & figured if the cap caps were missing what else was possibly gone ...

I know Brisbane Bike Spares at Sumner Park had a Katana motor which is the same (bit more power apparently) so I bought it. The guy let me have it for $300!

It's missing the side covers but I can use mine.

Plan over the Christmas break is to swap them out and see if I can get her running....
    don't ask to ride my bike and i won't ask if i can shag your missus

Comment

Also anyone have any tips on carbies that haven't been run for ages?

I've heard some people say pull them down and give a full clean out g others say just flush with carby cleaner then see what happens....

Comment

If you don't know the history break them right down, clean/ check all jets, emulsion tubes, passages and the float levels and check the floats themselves for holes. Record all jet sizes for your own future reference.

Comment

Originally posted by dillyboy View Post

I know Brisbane Bike Spares at Sumner Park had a Katana motor which is the same (bit more power apparently) so I bought it. The guy let me have it for $300!

that sounds eminently sensible

Comment

Didn't really get much done over Christmas (we put a pool in last October so spent all the spare time swimming :D)

The dented yellow tank was annoying me so I thought I'd have a crack at repairing it.

I've never had to bog anything up before so wasn't too sure how she'd come up....

The dents were deeper than I first thought so I had to build it up in layers:

Not too bad for my first attempt I thought:

I thought it looked ok, so I chucked on a coat of paint to see how she came up:

It's crazy what paint shows - I'll have to build the side up a bit more:

I'm not too sold on the pewter either (think it looks too grey) - will have to go check out colours. I want it silver but not too shiny....

Thought I'd chuck it all back together to see how she all looks

Hopefully I'll get the engine swapped over in the next few weeks - the new motor is black but I'll be having to use my cam & side covers so will decide if the silver & black combo looks ok or if I have to paint them black to match once all in place....

New plan is to just get it all running & registered with the factory seat & panels (so I'll have to re-build the seat too). I figure it's best to get it all running though then do cosmetic upgrades once ridable!!

Comment

Had a win with the seat today!!

I found that seats for these just don't exist anymore - called around a bunch of wreckers & referrals until one guy gave me a number of a guy in Adelaide who used to make fibreglass repo ones back in the day. He's now retired but still has all his moulds so sold me the mould for $150 so I can make my own seat pan!!

All going well I can then see if there's a market for them & make more as needed.....

Comment

Had a bit more of a tinker today.

The pewter didn't work so I primer filled it with the plan to go satin black. The two paints reacted & pulled away from the original yellow (probably something I did wrong :o ) so I decided to strip it all back & start again:

(found this side had been previously repaired too)

And a test fit:

I cut the front guard down the other day too - in the above pic I think it looks heaps better than original

Have had some dramas with my engine too - the new motor has three of the exhaust valves stuck and the two front bolt holes cracked on the rocker cover (probably happened in storage - kicking myself for not noticing this when I picked it up).

I'm taking this back to the shop I bought it from though as it was sold to me as a good motor - hopefully I have a win there.....

The annoying thing is the one with the cam caps missing all turns over perfectly!!! (if it wasn't likely to go bang I'd consider just swapping the missing caps over.... :D )

Comment

2 steps forward - 1 step back .

that's a bummer

Comment

Yep. It's what I get for picking up a basket case I suppose......

Comment

But a better project thread.....

Comment

So the motor (the new one with the stuck exhaust valves) is back at the mechanic - he sold it to me as a good motor so is going to give it a quick once over, hopefully it's an easy fix....

Painted the tank last night, yes it's not perfect but it's better than yellow and I can do it properly down the track if it bothers me too much:

Seat pan mould arrived in the post today too!!!

I was considering being lazy & just using the mould as my seat pan but it'd be a waste to not copy it so I'll make a couple up (and hopefully sell one to cover my costs):

Comment

Working...
                        X