Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW 1200 R naked, start ya bastard

Righto 15 yr neighbour was given a 2018 BMW 1200 R, father passed away a few months ago and I got asked to help. Bike had the battery disconnected and I hooked it up but couldnt get it started ( Keyless start).

Anyway I pulled the battery out and have brought it home and charged it up on the CTEK ( showed maybe half charge), Ive also thrown a new CR2032 battery into the key.

Ill be going back Monday to re install the battery and ride it back home, are there any tricks to getting these started ?? no one seemed to know where the manual was and it has to be moved monday. cheers

Originally posted by Stevil View Post
    Righto 15 yr neighbour was given a 2018 BMW 1200 R, father passed away a few months ago and I got asked to help. Bike had the battery disconnected and I hooked it up but couldnt get it started ( Keyless start).

Anyway I pulled the battery out and have brought it home and charged it up on the CTEK ( showed maybe half charge), Ive also thrown a new CR2032 battery into the key.

Ill be going back Monday to re install the battery and ride it back home, are there any tricks to getting these started ?? no one seemed to know where the manual was and it has to be moved monday. cheers
    No experience with 1200R but my Triumph 1050 needs perfect battery and fresh fuel. At least 98. Bastard of a thing if fuel not fresh. 12.5 : 1 compression from memory.

Our Honda 500 runs on anything.
    General Flynn just took the Q oath!
    I’ve had WWG1WGA in my PF profile for 32 months & been mocked mercilessly here by shills, useless idiots and people too lazy or too stupid to critically analyse USMIL Q
    https://twitter.com/genflynn/status/...200849409?s=21

Comment

yeah I had a red light come on the dash Walt when the Key was within 1m but the fucker wouldnt tick over, no idea if it has an alarm or it was the half charge battery, will re attempt on Moday with a full battery. Should be a hoot to ride LOL

Comment

yeah I had a red light come on the dash Walt when the Key was within 1m but the fucker wouldnt tick over, no idea if it has an alarm or it was the half charge battery, will re attempt on Moday with a full battery. Should be a hoot to ride LOL
        I reckon. Don’t let the 15yo on it. and fresh 98.
        I’ve had WWG1WGA in my PF profile for 32 months & been mocked mercilessly here by shills, useless idiots and people too lazy or too stupid to critically analyse USMIL Q

Comment

If the battery charge and change doesn't fix it, be aware that failure of the antenna for the immobiliser is common on the older models. Easy enough to change if you have a spare.
          https://www.boonstraparts.com/en/part/bmw-r-1200-r-2015-r1200r-lc-k53-immobilizer-receiver-2016-8531633/000001037312
          Last edited by Banzai; 26-06-20, 10:43 PM.
          If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

Comment

Thanks Banzai, pretty sure its a 2017/2018 model, Im sure it just a battery more likely in the key.

Comment

They can be a bastard of a thing I've found, we've towed a few since we're a BMW assist contractor. Seems the battery really doesn't like being allowed to discharge, and BMW insists that the dealer has to replace the battery in the bikes as well as cars now.

Comment

Its fucked.
                I
                ill give you $500 and a trump campaign t shirt

Comment

Originally posted by 9triton View Post
                  Its fucked.
                  I
                  ill give you $500 and a trump campaign t shirt
                  I’ll take the shirt
                  lol

Comment

Charged the battery up on the Ctek, showed half took a couple of hrs to get to full, left it over night and check again, showed 3/4 noy full so its dropping o/nite.

Gave it a quick smack on the charger this arvo and took it over to Coogee. Hooked it up and finally had the dash come on, gave it a tickle and she crank just, gave it 2nd shot and she turned over briefly but no fire. Battery is FUCKED, will pop into MCA's to grab a new one.

Comment

Charged the battery up on the Ctek, showed half took a couple of hrs to get to full, left it over night and check again, showed 3/4 noy full so its dropping o/nite.

Gave it a quick smack on the charger this arvo and took it over to Coogee. Hooked it up and finally had the dash come on, gave it a tickle and she crank just, gave it 2nd shot and she turned over briefly but no fire. Battery is FUCKED, will pop into MCA's to grab a new one.
                      Ever tried those jump start kits off of eBay? They're mint.
                      '13 Yamaha R1 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Sell me your old videogames? Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation, some XBox...

Comment

hey shifted I havent tried 1 and I was a bit hesistant taking jumper lead along cause is not my bike and this BMW is loaded with electronics, tyre pressures even get shown on the dash which was handy caus ethe front was almost flat.

Had no idea how much torque these things were making, something like 100Nm at 2000rpm 125Nm at 6500rpm. Suspension was super impressive, rear end unlike anything Ive felt on the street before. Could happily live with 1 of these.

Comment

hey shifted I havent tried 1 and I was a bit hesistant taking jumper lead along cause is not my bike and this BMW is loaded with electronics, tyre pressures even get shown on the dash which was handy caus ethe front was almost flat.

Had no idea how much torque these things were making, something like 100Nm at 2000rpm 125Nm at 6500rpm. Suspension was super impressive, rear end unlike anything Ive felt on the street before. Could happily live with 1 of these.

Did I miss the bit where you actually fired it up and rode it? Video? Looks surprisingly comfy for an R...I’m a GS upright sorta bloke. BMW’s are awesome bikes.

Comment

very upright but super comfy saddle Walt, took some video but ph mic is shit and sound is terrible. When I get sick of the 2 stroke...... a vintage beemer could be on the cards, LOL K1
                            Last edited by Stevil; 30-06-20, 06:38 PM.

Comment

very upright but super comfy saddle Walt, took some video but ph mic is shit and sound is terrible. When I get sick of the 2 stroke...... a vintage beemer could be on the cards, LOL K1
                              There was a really neat one in CafeRacer style FS a few months ago on FB

Comment

Working...
                              X