First Bike - SV650S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Bike - SV650S

So last year I decided to get my Motorbike license. have been riding dirt bikes on the farm since I was a little kid, but never bothered with road bikes.
    A few mates have gotten bikes recently, and I was looking for something else to drain my cash, so decided to get in on the game.
    Did my learners permit for bikes in November, and began to look around.

I didn't want a small bike, as I'm 110kg and like engines with lazy torque.
    After a few months looking, this came up on gumtree.

Riding it away on the test ride, I was conscious that I'd never ridden a bike legally on the road in traffic before, (occasionally took one of the farm bikes into town as a kid, stop at the edge of town and push it to my friends house), but it went well.
    Some easy negotiations, and it was mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210112_192905828_HDR (1280x958).jpg
Views:	228
Size:	546.1 KB
ID:	7215975

2011 SV650S 23K kms. LAMS registered. Two Brothers exhaust system, which sounds absolutely awesome.
    Has some scratches on the front cowling and on the exhaust where it seems to have gone down, and a scratch on the front cowling that has also marked the right headlamp. Other than that, it's pretty good.

Name:	IMG_20210112_192928953_HDR (1280x958).jpg
Views:	209
Size:	527.9 KB
ID:	7215977

Name:	IMG_20210112_192825596_HDR (1280x958).jpg
Views:	224
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	7215976
    As both of the tyres were worn, I rode directly to a tyre place about a km away, for a new set of Bridgestone BT23 tyres.
    There I learned that new road bike tyres are quite slippery. I don't know if it was the L plate or my boyish(mid 40's) naive looks, but 3 different staff members all came up to me during the course of getting the tyres fitted to remind me that they are slippery, including stopping me after I'd kitted up and was idling out of the shop.
    I appreciated their concern, especially after hearing that someone had dropped their Harley just that morning, powering out of the driveway after getting new tyres.

From there I met up with a mate and went for a ride in the hills to wear off the tyre coating.

Next plan is to fit some front lower fairings like this:

Name:	Side fairing pic1.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	7215978
    To create this look:

Name:	SP13NGN_003__58525.1592399550.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	7215979

Nice, good see some others who are gentlemen of a certain age getting their bike licences.

That looks like it will be fun to see out your LAMS time before the upgrade to a big boy's bike.

Comment

Nice bike!

I had one a 2007 one of these. It was excellent. I put 25,000kms on it then got run over.

That was before the lams version. Is it just a tune away from full power?

Those fairings look great, they werent around back then but I would have fit them too.
      Last edited by Dansedgli; 12-01-21, 08:52 PM.
      Maverick - gone
      Turbo AU Ute

Comment

Enjoy the new toy, and take it easy out there...

Bike looks tits with the lower fairings too

Comment

Much better with the added fairings. I'm pretty sure my brother has one of these sitting in his garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Dansedgli View Post
            Is it just a tune away from full power?
            ECU swap

I bought this bike after reading a heap of internet posts, saying that full power mode was as simple as cutting a wire from the ECU.
            Apparently there is an additional wire on the ECU that goes to earth. Cut that, and you have full power mode.
            Unfortunately, my model seems to be a later one with a different ECU, and there is no simple wire snip.
            Depending on the part number written on the ECU, you have a restricted or full power one. I haven't pulled the panels off yet to see.
            I'm actually pretty happy with it at the moment anyway.

Full power ECU's seem to sell for around $150-180 or so on ebay.

Comment

We pulled the pin out on my mates 2012 SV650 ECU and it worked a treat - we thought to give it a go anyway since that forum said it wouldn't work on this bike... The ECU was actually super easy to get to and pull the pin (don't snip it!).

Also there is no coating on the tyres, they're just a bit smooth as they come out the mould. Few minutes on the bike taking it easy scrubs them up enough to grip well. The biggest issue with new tyres is the shape. Worn tyres no longer have the nice round shape to them, they can be flatter in the middle with a ridge as you transition to the sides for example. Combine that with inconsistent pressure and you can get some weird wear. You compensate for this as the tyre wears out, and getting a new pair put on and taking that first corner like you did the day before without thinking will end bad. It's unbelievable how much tyre wear (shape) and tyre pressure affects the handling of a bike.

Getting new tyres on the bike straight away is good, you avoid the trained behaviour. But keep this in mind on your next set.
              The Slowly IS300

Comment

Originally posted by bboy View Post
                We pulled the pin out on my mates 2012 SV650 ECU and it worked a treat - we thought to give it a go anyway since that forum said it wouldn't work on this bike... The ECU was actually super easy to get to and pull the pin (don't snip it!).

Also there is no coating on the tyres, they're just a bit smooth as they come out the mould. Few minutes on the bike taking it easy scrubs them up enough to grip well. The biggest issue with new tyres is the shape. Worn tyres no longer have the nice round shape to them, they can be flatter in the middle with a ridge as you transition to the sides for example. Combine that with inconsistent pressure and you can get some weird wear. You compensate for this as the tyre wears out, and getting a new pair put on and taking that first corner like you did the day before without thinking will end bad. It's unbelievable how much tyre wear (shape) and tyre pressure affects the handling of a bike.

Getting new tyres on the bike straight away is good, you avoid the trained behaviour. But keep this in mind on your next set.
                Can you confirm which pin you pulled?
                I'm getting conflicting reports about pin 30 or pin 24.
                One person mentioned it was a white/grey wire, but the wiring diagram I'm looking at has that as the power wire to injector #1.

Comment

Oof that was quite a number of years ago... pin 24 does ring a bel. I think it was a pin or two over from the top left corner of the ECU plug. But if the other is just injector there's no harm in trying, you'll know as soon as you try start the bike if it's the injector haha
                  The Slowly IS300

Comment

Originally posted by bboy View Post
                    Oof that was quite a number of years ago... pin 24 does ring a bel. I think it was a pin or two over from the top left corner of the ECU plug. But if the other is just injector there's no harm in trying, you'll know as soon as you try start the bike if it's the injector haha
                    Sorry, mate, I'm going to pump you for more info..
                    Finally found this pinout for the ECU

Name:	SV650S ecu Pin layout.png
Views:	150
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	7217049

Pin #24 mode select switch, all good so far.
                    Wire is a white/black one, which matches another white/black wire coming from pin #13, ECM ground. Onto a winner!

ECU Plug

Name:	IMG_20210115_170331461_HDR.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	510.0 KB
ID:	7217050

I've mangled the back of this thing trying to get it apart.
                    It looks like the grey thing slides down the wires , but I can't figure out how to get the black cover off so I can access the back of the plug.
                    I'm hesitant to go any further, cause if I manage to slide the pin out, I'm not going to be able to push it back in if I'm wrong.
                    (someone made a mess of one wire, Sensor ground)

Comment

What does the front of the plug look like? does it have a grey or orange cover that can pop off like this;

Name:	S8YxcQwbdVvKqf-FrU58BHyif_Dsl0DgqC2uywYlyV3w3Dpc5Mh29HRhkO0yjm7L_oZNh3WtQVWGmshYRbXqz76FcndKSAbo9v8.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	7217072
                      The Slowly IS300

Comment

Name:	IMG_20210115_170318555_HDR.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	7217079‚Äč
                        Front cover was orange, got that off easily enough

Comment

Ah cool, so you want to go in through the front. Each pin has two holes, the small one is where the actual ECU pin goes through, the bigger one is where you stick a tool in to unlock the pin. I've got a really small set of flat screwdrivers I use for this.

Pin is removed by lifting the small plastic "tang" as they call it in the pic below. It helps if you push the wire into the connector to relieve any tension on it, lift the tang and pull the wire out

Name:	multilock-animation-gif.112085.gif
Views:	148
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	7217091
                          The Slowly IS300

Comment

That's great.
                            What I'm struggling with is getting my fingers into the back of the plug to pull the wire. The grey thing does not seem to slide down. Is there a way to remove the plug from the black cover surrounding it?

Comment

Yeah sometimes it feels like you need three hands to do it. I'm fairly sure the back piece does not come off, the wire just pulls through it. The wire will pull out pretty easy when unlocked, so need need to force it.
                              The Slowly IS300

Comment

Working...
                              X