Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oops, I dun did it again - Another Bike, this time its comfortable......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops, I dun did it again - Another Bike, this time its comfortable......

Today was a good day.... I picked up a new bike, this one is comfortable......

I got a '19 built Triumph Street Triple R. This is the version with the TFT screen, but no quickshifter and being as 19 build was also discounted a bit more than what the later 2020 built bikes were that had a quick shifter, but the old LCD analogue dash.

As mentioned else where I traded the Daytona in to get this. It cost a bit more than what I really wanted to pay, but after some haggling we came a to an agreement where i was happy and i didn't have to put up with triumph weird beards or the usual idiots on scumtree or bookface marketplace or pay the privilege of getting lowballed through bikesale.com and I could buy the bike insetad of sweating on it still being available after the Daytona sold.

This was the only R with the TFT screen that I could find, and i wasn't paying an extra $3.5K to get the RS to get the fancy screen.

When available I will have the Triumph Connectivity module activated, which will give me bluetooth stuff for phone, but most importantly for me on dash navigation from Google maps.

And I will probably get the optional quickshifter fitted at the first service, because lazy and it works up and down the box, so will also make blippy noises on downshifts and I don't have to use the clutch, except when stopping, or have to use the throttle under brakes when going down gears.

So here it is, in silver and a total of 0.1km on the clock when i picked it up....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210220_130658228_HDR.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	4.15 MB
ID:	7228878

Name:	IMG_20210220_130637141_HDR.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	4.18 MB
ID:	7228879

Name:	IMG_20210220_130643725_HDR.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	4.27 MB
ID:	7228880

Name:	IMG_20210220_130618265_HDR.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	7228881

I got a little lost on the way home from the dealership, but it was a glorious ride......

Name:	20210220_141711.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	7228882

First impressions......

It's fun.... and comfortable, and why didn't I do this before.....

Even though I am taking it easy as per the run in procedure, it seems to have plenty of torque down low, and is a much more relaxed ride than the Daytona was.

It seems easier to ride than the Daytona, most likely because you are in a more upright position rather than the almost forced tuck all the time on the Daytona. My back, wrists and neck are very happy about this. I feel more at home on the Striple than i did on the Daytona on the run home, it may also be because I wasn't up it in the rev range and using higher gears it didn't feel as "hard core sports bike". It feels easy to throw around and at corners, handles well and stops well. It will only get better as I spend more time on it and put the mileage on it to use more of the rev range.

With the standard exhaust it isn't anywhere near as loud, which the neighbours will appreciate I'm sure, but I will probably end up with a slip on in the next few months to give it a bit more noise.

Tomorrow will probably go for another shortish ride ad then Monday or Tuesday go for an early ride over Mt Mee and out through Woodford, Kilcoy and back over Glorious and Nebo to home.

First mods are to remove the pillion peg brackets, which will clean up the sub-frame and the side of the bike, a bit of a pain of a job as the battery has to come out. The second mod will be a tail tidy. The standard plate holder isn't as bad as some, but a tail tidy will really clean it up and make it look a whole lot better.

I must say that when i first saw the street triples I wasn't that enamoured with the look at the front with the lights, but as the headlights have gotten more "squintier" to me, the overall look of the bike has gotten better and I really like this iteration of the Street triple.

Looks good! Does it wheelie well?
    '13 Yamaha R1 // '16 Toyota Hilux SR5 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Sell me your old videogames? Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation, some XBox...

Comment

I dunno yet, still running it in, and then I have to learn how to turn all the nanny stuff off..... Apparently the traction control kicks in when the front wheel lifts.

And in three and a half days I am 150km shy of the first service and have booked it in for Saturday.

First mod already done, the pillion peg brackets are gone. Second mod is in its way, a tail tidy from mustard bikes in Tassie.

I'm having a ball on the bike. So much more comfortable than the Daytona.

It feels much more relaxed a ride than the Daytona did. I think not being in a permanent tuck to ride the thing makes it feel much more relaxed and not as "hard core" a ride. Also helps that I don't have to hold my head up to see and look through the top of my visor. The more upright position makes it much easier to see where I'm going and where I want to go.

Only real decision I have to make at the moment is to get the quick shifter or not. My bike has only an upshift quickshifter available from triumph and I can get that fitted for $500. To have an up and down quickshifter I have to go aftermarket and it will cost about $1k for the extra computer and all the hardware.

The real benefit to me is having an autoblipper for down changes so I don't have to worry about getting the throttle blips right whilst using the brake, still haven't worked that out yet and need to keep practicing, thankfully the slipper clutch hides my fuckuos when I get it wrong.....

On the whole, very happy with the bike and the decision I made to chop the Daytona in. The dealer has the old bike already up and at a cheeky price. Would be interesting to see what it actually goes for.

Comment

Nice choice, 1k sounds steep for a QS up and down but I'd still pay it.

Comment

I'm still in the fence about getting the quickshifter, but knowing me, will get it in the next few months.

I have found two, one by HM shifters which is $1000 plus shift rod, or Rapid Bike at Brendale do one, but I have to also install their Evo or race tuning modules, so a total of about $1200. The Rapid Bike solution looks to be the solution I will go for as for $200 extra I get a tuning module and being at Brendale, service and support is just up the road.

Tail tidy should be arriving tomorrow or Tuesday, so that will give me something to do. It is made.by Mustard Bikes in Tasmania and was way cheaper than other tail tidies made R&G or Evotech, and is an Australian business, so good to give them my money.

And it doesn't look too bad.....
          https://www.mustardbikes.com.au/13-c...iple-tail-tidy

Comment

So today a tail tidy from Mustard Bikes in Tasmania arrived.

I was impressed with the kit and the service. Price was great, $149 for tail tidy and reflector on a frame that bolts to the bottom of the number plate to make it all legal.

Everything you need is included, and it is truly plug and play. Installation time was about 45 minutes all up, that included watching the video they give you a wide link to, and 20 minutes pulling the back of the bike and putting it back on when I dropped a nut because clumsy.

THe tail tidy is 3mm alloy plate and powder coated black and includes an LED light for the plate already fitted with a plug for the OEM harness.

And some pics, first up, what was in the box....

Name:	IMG_20210301_110113332_HDR.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	7231831

The before shot.....

Name:	IMG_20210301_104811856_HDR.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	7231832

Name:	IMG_20210301_104947853_HDR.jpg
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	7231833

Name:	IMG_20210301_104958648_HDR.jpg
Size:	3.83 MB
ID:	7231834

The after shots, so much better....

Name:	IMG_20210301_125655035_HDR.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	3.63 MB
ID:	7231835

Name:	IMG_20210301_125649405_HDR.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	3.82 MB
ID:	7231836

Name:	IMG_20210301_125637109_HDR.jpg
Size:	3.99 MB
ID:	7231837

And an obligatory test ride shot....

Name:	IMG_20210301_141958225_HDR.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	4.51 MB
ID:	7231838

Edo spec, but no fucks given.....

I am enjoying this bike more and more.

First service booked in for Saturday, and hopefully the Bluetooth module arrives this week to be fitted at the same time. Main use for it will be for on dash navigation directions.

Comment

Hey bloke. So, should I stick my SV650S on the back of the ute on loan currently and we go carving up QLD roads like "hoon terrorists" at up to 10km/h over the speed limit ?
              - Gary

97 Mitsubishi Lancer Coupe 1.8
              19 Honda Grom (MSX125) 9.93hp atw
              00 Suzuki SV650S

Comment

Originally posted by Crash Dummy View Post
                Hey bloke. So, should I stick my SV650S on the back of the ute on loan currently and we go carving up QLD roads like "hoon terrorists" at up to 10km/h over the speed limit ?
                Yes, yes you should.....

And maybe drag some more of the Brisbane PF crew out with their bikes for a good ride and catch up.

Comment

I'd be down depending on direction (eg if you head North side). And Mustard do some nice bits, got mine from there years ago when they just started up.

Re: shifter etc - $1k'ish seems to be the going rate for up/down but as you said you get all the tuning tools stuff too so you can get cool but useless shit like warm up (sits there and gently revs the bike on and off for a minute or so post start up) and pit lane limiter (good for 40 zones so you can be going slow but sounding like Rossi entering pit lane) :D And of course, custom tune for more power.

MT09 guys get the Woolich race tools which is around the same price (they don't do Triumphs though)

*edit - oh and congrats, love the screen. I've always been a bit of a bike luddite and shunned all electronic aids etc but I'd love a big colour screen and nav on screen would be fucking excellent (although I do quite enjoy my normal approach which is map out a general direction and then go and get lost in the Hinterland trying to follow my general plan. Get to see lots of roads I might not have otherwise which can be epic ones or total shitters (and even some dirt roads)
                  Last edited by piss98; 03-03-21, 11:32 AM.
                  Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

The tail tidy makes a huge difference, looks mint.
                    6L FD3S RX7
                    GR Supra

Comment

Originally posted by piss98 View Post
                      I'd be down depending on direction (eg if you head North side). And Mustard do some nice bits, got mine from there years ago when they just started up.

Re: shifter etc - $1k'ish seems to be the going rate for up/down but as you said you get all the tuning tools stuff too so you can get cool but useless shit like warm up (sits there and gently revs the bike on and off for a minute or so post start up) and pit lane limiter (good for 40 zones so you can be going slow but sounding like Rossi entering pit lane) :D And of course, custom tune for more power.

MT09 guys get the Woolich race tools which is around the same price (they don't do Triumphs though)

*edit - oh and congrats, love the screen. I've always been a bit of a bike luddite and shunned all electronic aids etc but I'd love a big colour screen and nav on screen would be fucking excellent (although I do quite enjoy my normal approach which is map out a general direction and then go and get lost in the Hinterland trying to follow my general plan. Get to see lots of roads I might not have otherwise which can be epic ones or total shitters (and even some dirt roads)
                      I would be suggesting heading up north if it came to fruition.

I left a review for the tail tidy in their bookface page and the triumph triple riders book face page as he is also a supported supplier there. He got a giggle when I mentioned some dubious performance gains from fitting the tail tidy. I may suggest they look at doing the blanking plates for the pillion peg brackets as I'm sure he would cheaper than the $60 or so I had for Evotech ones.

Re the quickshifter, don't really need the race version of the rapid bike module, but would be fun hitting the pit limiter switch at school zones and barreling through limiter bashing to upset all the Karens.

I'm looking forward to getting the Bluetooth module. The triumph app also lets you log rides, so you can still do the rough planning, or as I do similar, have a general idea if where I want to head and as you find roads, can still get to where you want to be without having to stop and get the phone out to look at it.
                      Last edited by PXL265; 03-03-21, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Yeh that would be rad (the nav part, logging rides etc). I quite like the getting lost bit though and am averse to stopping when I am out so don't bother trying to look up where I am, just point in the general direction and hope for the best. As I said, upside is discovering new roads I didn't know about, down side is some of them are fucking goat tracks I wouldn't ride a pushy on let alone a motorbike at speed.

Sadly only looks like Evotech plates for your bike from a quick google but try checking out some Euro sites as I got mine from there way back when and they were only $30 or so from memory. I did do a quick look at FC Moto (German) and Motorstorm (Italy) but didn't see anything though!
                        Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

The plates I ordered last week and they arrived today, so all fitted up, and took the opportunity to reroute the cabling for the ctek battery charger whilst I did that.

Hopefully decent weather tomorrow so I can go for a short ride.

Service is booked in for Saturday, so wonder what bike they will give me as a loaner. Wouldn't say no to a Duke as I miss that little angry sewing machine I had in Jakarta.

Comment

First service done yesterday so run in complete.

I got lost heading home and ended up going home via mount Mee and through Samford for the quick way home due to the weather looking dodgy.

This morning went for a ride out in the motorway to Fernvale to go up the hill for a coffee at mount Glorious.

When you open the taps and send it north of 9k it sounds epic with the induction roar getting louder and louder and the exhaust sounding like it should. Only problem is, even in second gear you are in licence losing territory as you head towards the 12,500 redline.

And didn't even get a second look from plod as I came through Nebo village with two if them doing exhaust checks with a full house of bikes being looked at.

Enjoying this more and more every time I jump on it.

Comment

Working...
                            X